Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When someone talks to you in Hindi

5 posters

Go down

When someone talks to you in Hindi Empty When someone talks to you in Hindi

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:54 pm

knowing you dont know hindi, what do you do?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

When someone talks to you in Hindi Empty Re: When someone talks to you in Hindi

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

if you want to maintain a relationship with that person, say, "sorry but i don't understand hindi".
else, ask him why he is being a douchebag.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Most desis (not just north indians) usually assume that all other indians know hindi. If they know that you don't know hindi, but still insist on speaking to you in hindi, then they acting like tamilians.  Razz

Srsly! Go to TN as a visitor, ask anyone a question in english (don't even think about asking in hindi), chances are, you'll get a response in tamil. It's not some street vendor i am talking about. It's the receptionists, cashiers, clerks and other ok educated folks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Most desis (not just north indians) usually assume that all other indians know hindi. If they know that you don't know hindi, but still insist on speaking to you in hindi, then they acting like tamilians.  Razz

Srsly! Go to TN as a visitor, ask anyone a question in english (don't even think about asking in hindi), chances are, you'll get a response in tamil. It's not some street vendor i am talking about. It's the receptionists, cashiers, clerks and other ok educated folks.

This may have been true in TN 10-15 years ago but I don't believe it is true any more. Tamilians have started embracing hindi in huge numbers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

This may have been true in TN 10-15 years ago but I don't believe it is true any more. Tamilians have started embracing hindi in huge numbers.
I hope it's changing. But, folks who moved out of TN 10-15 yrs ago seem to have been stuck in the same mindset. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:04 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Tamilans will always answer back if you ask in Tamil, English (if they dont know they themselves will ask others nearby), and in hindi. Just like Naarthies, Tamilans assume any Naarthie who ventures so far south knows English. That is true to a very large extent. Naarthies visiting TN know better English than Tamilans's Hindi knowledge.

So your assumptions are komboletely wrong and your Gultness is making you ingratiate to the Hindians...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:29 pm

Kinnera wrote:

My experience was different. I have gotten responses in English from educated people and one autowallah even spoke in Hindi to me as I struggled to converse in Tamil with him.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:32 pm

nevada wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

My experience was different. I have gotten responses in English from educated people and one autowallah even spoke in Hindi to me as I struggled to converse in Tamil with him.
Times are changing, as Rashmun said. That's good. Things were so different some years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:52 pm

I would first check with him whether or not he is a Muslim Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:57 pm

nevada wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

Autowallhas are synonymous with cheaters/pickpocketers, at least used to be the case in Hyd where they used to speak only in hyderabadi urdu to cheat on their customers not native to Hyd. So I wouldn't read much into autowallahs speak.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:43 pm

I say, "I don't speak your language." I don't say, "I don't speak hindi."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:50 pm

what's more appropriate?

"I don't know hindi" or "I don't speak hindi".

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:59 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

I would first check with him whether or not he is a Muslim Razz

Of course, that goes without saying. bcz if the person is a muslim, i know they will speak only in hindi or Pakistani hindi (aka Urdu) anyway.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down