Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanskrit inscriptions in Tamil Nadu show that North Indian kings contributed funds for construction of temples in Tamil Nadu

3 posters

Go down

Sanskrit inscriptions in Tamil Nadu show that North Indian kings contributed funds for construction of temples in Tamil Nadu Empty Sanskrit inscriptions in Tamil Nadu show that North Indian kings contributed funds for construction of temples in Tamil Nadu

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 am

The language Sanskrit was once used as a lingua franca all over the nation during the ancient and medieval era. Most of the inscriptions of those days  were in Sanskrit and those inscriptions were found in large numbers in Tamil Nadu, said Dr Chitra Madhavan, a noted historian, here on Thursday.

Delivering the lecture on ‘Sanskrit inscriptions in Tamil Nadu’ at the monthly lecture organised by Tamil Valarchi Kazhagam, she said, “From the Pallava dynasty to the Maratha dynasty, which ruled Tamil Nadu —  Sanskrit inscriptions were used, since it was widely followed and the mother tongue of each dynasty was different from others.”

“Through the inscriptions, one can know about the political geography, culture, administration, economy, etc., of these periods,” she said.

She added that most of the inscriptions were found in temples, which indicated that the donations were made by the kings. One can find inscriptions that are centuries old at Thiruparuthikundram near Kanchipuram.”

“Interestingly some of the inscriptions found in Gangai Konda Cholapuram tell us that kings from the Northern parts of India also made their contributions through these donations,” she added.

She said, “Most of the temples in Tamil Nadu do not have the names of the kings. But one of the temples in Thiruvottiyur, which is in the shape of a gajapirushtam, has an inscription naming the builder of the temple as Veera Chola Ravi.”

Another interesting point she noted was that the Vijayanagara Dynasty kings did not sign in their own names on the inscriptions. Whenever they signed on the metal inscriptions, they used  the name of Sri Virupaksha, since the latter was the traditional deity of those kings.”

“One can get a lot of information from these inscriptions. But people do not have a conscious sense of history and damage such inscriptions by abandoning them or pasting posters on them. This must be prevented,” she concluded.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/chennai/article1512930.ece?goback=.gde_158645_member_225668583

Back to top Go down

Sanskrit inscriptions in Tamil Nadu show that North Indian kings contributed funds for construction of temples in Tamil Nadu Empty Re: Sanskrit inscriptions in Tamil Nadu show that North Indian kings contributed funds for construction of temples in Tamil Nadu

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 am

>> all over the nation during the ancient and medieval era.

WHICH NATION during the ancient and medieval era?

English inscrioptions are all over South asia. Make English official language, heritage language and celebtrate English month.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Sanskrit inscriptions in Tamil Nadu show that North Indian kings contributed funds for construction of temples in Tamil Nadu Empty Re: Sanskrit inscriptions in Tamil Nadu show that North Indian kings contributed funds for construction of temples in Tamil Nadu

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:31 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> all over the nation during the ancient and medieval era.

WHICH NATION during the ancient and medieval era?

English inscrioptions are all over South asia. Make English official language, heritage language and celebtrate English month.

the nation which the Greek historian Megasthenes has written about in his book Indika in the 4th century BC. Politically no doubt there was not one country, but culturally there was one country. For instance, the sanskrit language was used by scholars and intellectuals all across modern India and even parts of south asia which are no longer a part of modern India.

Any child--whether north indian or south indian--would be having knowledge about the Ramayana and Mahabharata. this shows the cultural unity of India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:45 am

>> the sanskrit language was used by scholars and intellectuals all across modern India

English is used for science all around the world. So all the world belongs to England and they can force all to study English and also plunder their wealth.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> the sanskrit language was used by scholars and intellectuals all across modern India

English is used for science all around the world. So all the world belongs to England and they can force all to study English and also plunder their wealth.

it is only now--with the establishment of modern communication--that english has started being used for science in large parts of the world. but note that it is still not used in science in parts of the world including russia and china.
in contrast, sanskrit was being used for science and philosophy in India for thousands of years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:52 am

Sanskrit was NEVER a language of the people for day to day use anyehere in the world

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:07 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Sanskrit was NEVER a language of the people for day to day use anyehere in the world

this is correct. it was the language of scholars and intellectuals. never the less, see also:

In this connection I would like to quote from the Constituent Assembly debate that took place on 12.9.1949 in our Constituent Assembly :-

“The Hon’ble Shri Ghanshyam Singh Gupta  -  We want to hear your views on Sanskrit.

Mr. Naziruddin Ahmed – I am extremely thankful to the Hon’ble Member Mr. Gupta.  If you have to adopt any language, why should you not have the world’s greatest language?  It is today a matter of great regret that  we do not know with what reverence Sanskrit is held in the outside world.  I shall only quote a few brief remarks made about Sanskrit to show how this language is held in the civilized world.  Mr. W.C. Taylor says “Sanskrit is the language of unrivalled richness and purity”.

Mr. President – I would suggest you may leave that question alone, because I propose to call representatives who have given notice of amendments of a fundamental character and I will call upon a gentleman who has given notice about Sanskrit to speak about it.

Mr. Naziruddin Ahmed – Yes, Sir, I shall not stand in between.  I will only give a few quotations.  Prof. Max Muller says that “Sanskrit is the greatest language in the world, the most wonderful and the most perfect”.  Sir William Jones said “whenever we direct our attention to the Sanskrit Literature the notion of infinity presents itself.  Surely the longest life would not suffice for a perusal of works that rise and swell protuberant like the Himalayas above the bulkiest composition of every land beyond the confines of India”.  Then Sir W. Hunter says that “the Grammar of Panini stands supreme among the grammars of the world.  It stands forth as one of the most splendid achievements of human invention and industry”.  Prof. Whitney says “Its unequalled transparency of structure gives it (Sanskrit) undisputable right to the first place amongst the tongues of the Indo-European family”.  M. Dukois says “Sanskrit is the origin of the modern languages of Europe”.  Prof. Weber says “Panini’s grammar is universally admitted to be the shortest and fullest grammar in the world”.  Prof. Wilson says “No nation but the Hindu has yet been able to discover such a perfect system of phonetics”.  Prof. Thompson says “The arrangement of consonants in Sanskrit is a unique example of human genius”.  Dr. Shahidullah, Professor of Dacca University, who has a world wide reputation as a Sanskrit Scholar, says “Sanskrit is the language of every man to whatever race he may belong”.

An Hon’ble Member – What is your view?  

Mr. Naziruddin Ahmed – My own view is that it is one of the greatest

languages, and ………………..

An Hon’ble Member – And should it be adopted as the National Language or not?  It is not spoken by any one now.

Mr. Naziruddin Ahmed – Yes, and for the simple reason that it is impartially difficult to all.  Hindi is easy for the Hindi speaking areas but it is difficult for other areas.  I offer you a language which is grandest and greatest, and it is impartially difficult, equally difficult for all to learn.  There should be some impartiality in the selection.  If we have to adopt a language it must be grand, great and the best.  Then why should we discard the claim of Sanskrit?

“Pandit Lakshmi Kant Maitra – If today India has got an opportunity to shape her own destiny I ask in all seriousness if she is going to feel ashamed to recognize the Sanskrit Language – The revered grandmother of Languages of the world, still alive with full vigour, full vitality?  Are we going to deny her rightful place in Free India?   That is a question which I solemnly ask.  I know it will be said that it is a dead language.  Yes.  Dead to whom?  Dead to you because you have become dead to all which is great and noble in your own culture and civilization.  You have been chasing the shadow and have never tried to grasp the substance which is contained in your great literature.  If Sanskrit is dead may I say that Sanskrit is ruling us from her grave?  Nobody can get away from Sanskrit in India.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:42 pm

Rashmun:

Sanskrit was in good use in SI and was the official language at one time. Moreover, SI's didn't khoonee Sanskrit like NI bhaiyyas. When Pandas recite in Sanskrit, it sounds like they are crying.

So, the Sanskrit writings on SI temples were by SI kings.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:08 am

i don't believe in the theory that sanskrit was never a common spoken language. it may not have been spoken in india.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:44 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Rashmun:

Sanskrit was in good use in SI and was the official language at one time. Moreover, SI's didn't khoonee Sanskrit like NI bhaiyyas. When Pandas recite in Sanskrit, it sounds like they are crying.

So, the Sanskrit writings on SI temples were by SI kings.

The inscriptions themselves are saying that NI kings have also made donations for the constructions of temples in Tamil Nadu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:45 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't believe in the theory that sanskrit was never a common spoken language. it may not have been spoken in india.

Please explain the above.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:50 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't believe in the theory that sanskrit was never a common spoken language. it may not have been spoken in india.

very simple. sophisticated writing systems always come later. that sounds and speaking always come earlier, doesnt require much explanation.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:31 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

very simple. sophisticated writing systems always come later. that sounds and speaking always come earlier, doesnt require much explanation.

the composition of the Rig Veda--at least the earliest strata--has been dated to around circa 1400-1500 BC.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:35 am

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

the composition of the Rig Veda--at least the earliest strata--has been dated to around circa 1400-1500 BC.

how does that negate what i said?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:37 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

how does that negate what i said?

i was not trying to negate what you said. i simply added a comment to what u said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Rashmun:

Your obsession with NI vs SI, Hindi for SIs, etc., is becoming Bhaiyya-ic.

Both NI and SI kings contributed to temples and they were more open minded than you. For example, Satavahanas (Hindu kings) renovated Buddhist sites all across India. Asoka, after embracing Buddhism, put edicts everywhere asking people to protect cows and Brahmins!!!

I don't think Satavahanas and Asoka thought of themselves as SIs and NIs. They were not BIMARU like some today's bhaiyyas who like some iSlamists, think that they are twice as good as a Madrasi. In reality, a kafir may be 3 times as smart as a pieceful Paki.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:06 pm

Both NI and SI kings contributed to temples and they were more open minded than you. For example, Satavahanas (Hindu kings) renovated Buddhist sites all across India. Asoka, after embracing Buddhism, put edicts everywhere asking people to protect cows and Brahmins!!!

I don't think Satavahanas and Asoka thought of themselves as SIs and NIs. They were not BIMARU like some today's bhaiyyas who like some iSlamists, think that they are twice as good as a Madrasi. In reality, a kafir may be 3 times as smart as a pieceful Paki.

i know of Jain temples in Karnataka which were demolished and hindu temples were built on the site where the Jain temple originally stood.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Rashmun wrote:

i know of Jain temples in Karnataka which were demolished and hindu temples were built on the site where the Jain temple originally stood.
Let us not go there. You will see a lot more architectural "remodeling" in NI that will put a question mark on your H-M synthesis model. Bhaiyyas will be the first to oppose your fancy model.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down