Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

yuktibhasa and tantrasangraha

Go down

yuktibhasa and tantrasangraha Empty yuktibhasa and tantrasangraha

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:04 pm

here is a recent text published by springer:

http://www.springer.com/productFlyer_978-1-84882-072-2.pdf?SGWID=0-0-1297-173848475-0

here is one of the authors of the book, k.ramasubramanian who is a professor of humanities at IIT bombay (http://www1.iitb.ac.in/award/facultyaward.html), talking of the relationship between the two texts. pay particular attention what he says after the 3.30 mark:

he also calls the later sanskrit translation of the YB by jyeshtadeva's student inferior right in the beginning.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

yuktibhasa and tantrasangraha Empty Re: yuktibhasa and tantrasangraha

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:44 pm

He clearly says that the results in YB are not original results. Further, he refers to a Sanskrit translation of YB but there also exists a Sanskrit commentary on YB.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Rashmun wrote:He clearly says that the results in YB are not original results. Further, he refers to a Sanskrit translation of YB but there also exists a Sanskrit commentary on YB.

he says the TS only gives certain indications and in fact doesn't deal with infinite series at all. are we watching the same video? he says the TS is more of an astronomical text. around the 3.47 mark he clearly says per se it doesn't deal with infinite series.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 pm

my own speculation is that jyeshtadeva in the hoary indian tradition was being modest and respectful to his guru when he pays homage to nilakantha, but that despite his saying that, he went beyond the TS.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:He clearly says that the results in YB are not original results. Further, he refers to a Sanskrit translation of YB but there also exists a Sanskrit commentary on YB.

he says the TS only gives certain indications and in fact doesn't deal with infinite series at all. are we watching the same video? he says the TS is more of an astronomical text. around the 3.47 mark he clearly says per se it doesn't deal with infinite series.

Watch carefully to what he says from 2:45 to 3:00.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i watched the entire video carefully. he first explains the connection between the TS and YB. it's the differences between the two towards the second half that interest me more, because the connection between the two texts is well established; in fact jyashtadeva has acknowledged that right in the beginning. in that regard there is no new information that is revealed in this video. the question is why are you ignoring what he says later in the video which is germane to the questions at hand?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:11 pm

there is an ocean of difference between stating something completely and clearly and "some clues are available".
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i watched the entire video carefully. he first explains the connection between the TS and YB. it's the differences between the two towards the second half that interest me more, because the connection between the two texts is well established; in fact jyashtadeva has acknowledged that right in the beginning. in that regard there is no new information that is revealed in this video. the question is why are you ignoring what he says later in the video which is germane to the questions at hand?

From 2:45 to 3:00 he says that the results in YB have been gleaned from other texts.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

From 2:45 to 3:00 he says that the results in YB have been gleaned from other texts.

whatever. as always, the integrity you bring to a discussion is questionable and leaves a poor taste. you really need to look in the mirror and ask yourself some questions. i am done with this unless some startling new information is brought forth by you (doubt it) or someone else. i'll let you wallow in your own agenda cesspool. good luck with all that.

my final thoughts on this -- regardless of what language they penned their results and commentary in, these were malayali minds at work. no question about it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:26 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

whatever. as always, the integrity you bring to a discussion is questionable and leaves a poor taste. you really need to look in the mirror and ask yourself some questions. i am done with this unless some startling new information is brought forth by you (doubt it) or someone else. i'll let you wallow in your own agenda cesspool. good luck with all that.

my final thoughts on this -- regardless of what language they penned their results and commentary in, these were malayali minds at work. no question about it.

Sorry my mistake. You need to watch the video from 1:45 to 2:00.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Sorry my mistake. You need to watch the video from 1:45 to 2:00.

no need. i have watched it end to end five times. i am not that slow.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Actually go ahead and watch from 1:35 to 2:00 while hearing very very carefully. He says that the Yuktibhasha is the only text enunciating the results given in other texts.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:21 pm

i wrote to the professor in the video and he essentially confirmed my opinion. i have asked for his permission to post his response verbatim. if he gives me permission i will post his reply along with my original question.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:32 pm

while we wait for his permission, the wikipedia sites on the TS and YB also unequivocally confirm what he told me.

here is the content of the only chapter on pure mathematics from the TS:

Chapter 2 (Sphuta-prakaranam (On true planets)): Computation of risings, and arcs, construction of a circle of diameter equal to the side of a given square, computation of the circumference without the use of square and roots, sum of series, sum of the series of natural numbers, of squares of numbers, of cubes of numbers, processes relating to Rsines and arcs, computation of the arc of a given Rsine, computation of the circumference of a circle, derivation of Rsines for given Rversed sine and arc, computation of Rsine and arcs, accurate computation of the 24 ordained Rsines, sectional Rsines and Rsine differences, sum of Rsine differences, summation of Rsine differences, computation of the arc of an Rsine according to Madhava, computation of Rsine and Rversed sine at desired point without the aid of the ordained Rsines, rules relating to triangles, rules relating to cyclic quadrilaterals, rules relating to the hypotenuse of a quadrilateral, computation of the diameter from the area of the cyclic quadrilateral, surface area of a sphere, computation of the desired Rsine, the ascensional difference, sun's daily motion in minutes of arc, application of ascensional difference to true planets,....

no mention of infinite series anywhere, consistent with the professor's statement in the video and private communication with me. the series mentioned above are not infinite series. they are just simple sums of finite series with a fixed number of terms.  probably formulae of the type given by gauss.

the corresponding material from the YB's wiki page:
As per the old Indian tradition of starting off new chapters with elementary content, the first four chapters of the Yuktibhasa contain elementary mathematics, such as division, proof of Pythagorean theorem, square root determination, etc.[8] The radical ideas are not discussed until the sixth chapter on circumference of a circle. Yuktibhasa contains the derivation and proof of the power series for inverse tangent, discovered by Madhava.[2] In the text, Jyesthadeva describes Madhava's series in the following manner....

the wikipedia page has some of the actual infinite series dealt with in the YB.

by the way, the only argument here is about the content of the texts themselves.  as for the results, they were derived originally neither by nilakantha nor by jyeshtadeva but by their intellectual ancestor madhava of sangamagrama, also a namboothiri brahmin like nilakantha and jyeshtadeva.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum