Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vanessa Williams - DNA

4 posters

Go down

Vanessa Williams - DNA Empty Vanessa Williams - DNA

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:03 am

I wonder how most Indians would fare up. One of these days I am doing this DNA thing.

"My DNA breaks down as follows: I’m 23% from Ghana, 17% from the British Isles, 15% from Cameroon, 12% Finnish, 11% Southern European, 7% Togo, 6% Benin, 5% Senegal and 4% Portuguese."

http://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/2013/05/14/actress-vanessa-williams-explains-how-dna-powers-her-family-tree/?o_xid=55843&o_lid=55843&o_sch=Content+Marketing

Back to top Go down

Vanessa Williams - DNA Empty Re: Vanessa Williams - DNA

Post by Kris Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I wonder how most Indians would fare up. One of these days I am doing this DNA thing.

"My DNA breaks down as follows: I’m 23% from Ghana, 17% from the British Isles, 15% from Cameroon, 12% Finnish, 11% Southern European, 7% Togo, 6% Benin, 5% Senegal and 4% Portuguese."

http://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/2013/05/14/actress-vanessa-williams-explains-how-dna-powers-her-family-tree/?o_xid=55843&o_lid=55843&o_sch=Content+Marketing

>>>A couple of people I know had it checked out. It came back with a high degree of central Asian dna.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I wonder how most Indians would fare up. One of these days I am doing this DNA thing.

>>>A couple of people I know had it checked out. It came back with a high degree of central Asian dna.

i thought someone did a study of many southern indian brahmins a while ago since at least the Y chromosome is in principle trackable by gothrams and found that the iyers and telugu smarthas had a high percentage of DNA that can be sourced to central asia (this should get some NI-SI synthesizers here excited).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:45 pm

I have had a DNA test kit at home since 2 months now. All I need to do is spit into a small container and mail it to the testing center. One of these days I am going to overcome my laziness and actually do it.
I will post the results here - or maybe not Very Happy

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:48 pm

nevada wrote:I have had a DNA test kit at home since 2 months now. All I need to do is spit into a small container and mail it to the testing center. One of these days I am going to overcome my laziness and actually do it.

cool, how much is it? I r'ber seeing a link to get it for 100-150 or so, and I decided that I wasn't that curious to know.

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
nevada wrote:I have had a DNA test kit at home since 2 months now. All I need to do is spit into a small container and mail it to the testing center. One of these days I am going to overcome my laziness and actually do it.

cool, how much is it? I r'ber seeing a link to get it for 100-150 or so, and I decided that I wasn't that curious to know.

$99. I want to see if it will show a combination of nationalities or just say "you are 100% asian".

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:23 pm

nevada wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

$99. I want to see if it will show a combination of nationalities or just say "you are 100% asian".

my kid is part convinced some kaand happened some centuries ago. Most likely mine is south + west-central asia. I don't have a single chinky feature. Let's see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:28 pm

nevada wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

is $79 now. explains this article popping up on FB.

ordered two. one for myself, and another for XH.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:26 pm

i am curious to know, though I am not sure if I am ready to spend $79 now to quench that curiosity :-). Google says that several controversies exist regarding the origin of my supposed ancestors, their native home and their language. The earliest inscription of the clan is from 7th century, it says.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:33 pm

i have no curiosity. i don't care where i am genetically from. emotionally, i am a tamilian and therefore an indian. that's all i need to know.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Kinnera wrote:i am curious to know, though I am not sure if I am ready to spend $79 now to quench that curiosity :-). Google says that several controversies exist regarding the origin of my supposed ancestors, their native home and their language. The earliest inscription of the clan is from 7th century, it says.

As per family tales, our subcastam originated in Bengal but been in UP for the longest time. Going back to grand parents I am 50% UP, 25% Rajasthan, and 25% Haryana. Parents would be Rajasthan-MP.

Older tells her friends she is half marathi half rajasthani. She can't fathom UP, and Haryana even less. And she hates saying MP, which is technically most correct for her, but no one knows MP lol. I tell her to just mention MP, and if not that, then New Delhi region, and you will have all grandparents covered on my side.  

Her classmates think I wore this outfit and danced like this when I lived in india.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5aqiYAm7Vc

Her classmates' imaginations are not too far from swapna aunty's I think.

oh, and their imagination for women on XH's family is this lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCwHSKplmaU

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Kinnera wrote:i am curious to know, though I am not sure if I am ready to spend $79 now to quench that curiosity :-). Google says that several controversies exist regarding the origin of my supposed ancestors, their native home and their language. The earliest inscription of the clan is from 7th century, it says.

As per family tales, our subcastam originated in Bengal but been in UP for the longest time. Going back to grand parents I am 50% UP, 25% Rajasthan, and 25% Haryana. Parents would be Rajasthan-MP.

Older tells her friends she is half marathi half rajasthani. She can't fathom UP, and Haryana even less. And she hates saying MP, which is technically most correct for her, but no one knows MP lol. I tell her to just mention MP, and if not that, then New Delhi region, and you will have all grandparents covered on my side.  

Her classmates think I wore this outfit and danced like this when I lived in india.

Or D could just say, half north indian and half maharashtrian. LOL@ her friends' imagination. Let me know what your results show. I too will get it done sometime. I am sure it's going to give some interesting results.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Or D could just say, half north indian and half maharashtrian. LOL@ her friends' imagination. Let me know what your results show. I too will get it done sometime. I am sure it's going to give some interesting results.

the only part i am worried about is my afro hair that were golden brown when I was born.  Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
the only part i am worried about is my afro hair that were golden brown when I was born.  Neutral
Maybe you have some dravidian dna (which i r'ber vaguely is close to afro dna) in you Razz.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Maybe you have some dravidian dna (which i r'ber vaguely is close to afro dna) in you Razz.

i have seldom seen a dravidian person with seriously curly hair like people from africa or like african americans. thick lips and dark skin though are another matter.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

i have seldom seen a dravidian person with seriously curly hair like people from africa or like african americans. thick lips and dark skin though are another matter.
It may not be as curly like afro hair, but pure dravidian-looking ppl rarely have soft, silky and straight hair.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

It may not be as curly like afro hair, but pure dravidian-looking ppl rarely have soft, silky and straight hair.

many of us have coarse and straight hair.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

many of us have coarse and straight hair.
Those are the hybrids. I said 'pure' dravidian-looking..

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Older tells her friends she is half marathi half rajasthani. ..*.  

Her classmates think I wore this outfit and danced like this when I lived in india.**

>>>*Wait and her friends know what that is?
 **Why can't you dance like that now? You are not one of those people who forgot your culture soon as to landed in JFk, are you? Besides, that dance is kind of endearing in its own way..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:28 pm

>>>Admit it. KV is not here. No need to be coy. You are a hindi-an, aint'cha? Or as the arabs would say 'al-hindi-an'? Fess up, fess up now. I knew the name kinnera had that hindian, CBSE school-tone to it.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:41 pm

We bother with Dna testing. Only few southies need to worry about it. Rest of us are all relatives of hiranyakasyapa or thataki.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down