Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the traditional attire of the syrian christian woman

4 posters

Go down

the traditional attire of the syrian christian woman Empty the traditional attire of the syrian christian woman

Post by michelle2 Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:45 pm

that would mean the malayali christian woman.

this article from the hindu laments the gradual disappearance of the chaTTa-muNDu ensemble. my oldest aunt always wore it, never a sari; she died in the mid-70s.  her sister did the same until the late 80s. my mother wore it when she was at college in thiru-anantha-puram (there was no women's college in kottayam, her hometown, ninety miles away). i've never seen my mother wear it, although i've seen photographs of her in it. my father's older sister also wore  it.

the chatta-muNDu-kavaNi outfit is unique to syrian christians. the upper part, the chaTTa, is loose, and covers the midriff entirely; the lower part, the muNDu is pleated at one side of the back, to look like a fan. the entire attire is nearly all-white. the chaTTa is entirely white. the hindu women of kerala wear coloured blouses which are more form-fitting.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

the traditional attire of the syrian christian woman Empty Re: the traditional attire of the syrian christian woman

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Interesting. I checked out some pics to see what they meant by fans in the back.

The attire of Haryanvi women was sari but wearing man-shirts for the blouse. There is also a custom of some women covering their entire face with the sari but showing entire chest (meaning blouse, not bare, jeez); and other type showing full face but covering chest, based on whether they are married or unmarried, but I don't remember which is which.

When I was a kid (until my 20s i.e.), and if any day I was wearing a shirt with skirt/pants, I would take one of my mom's saris and drape it. Would feel so ethnic ethnic, and yet casual and still yet sexy in many ways. My height and health sorta complimented that kinda look too, as I am not too curvy. Dad would also see me and get sorta emotional remembering older women from his fam.

That's where my fascination with saris ended though. Now I wear saris only on days when I don't have to work. And if I have to work - like serving food in weddings, I wear the lightest printed silk possible.

Back to top Go down

the traditional attire of the syrian christian woman Empty Re: the traditional attire of the syrian christian woman

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:03 pm

From what I understand, the women of yesteryears who wore the chatta mundu kavani wore only whites their entire lives. No colors, no designs, no embroideries, no nothing! Maybe a gold zaree border. That's it. That's so sad! No wonder they went out of the norm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:06 pm

michelle2 wrote:that would mean the malayali christian woman.

this article from the hindu laments the gradual disappearance of the chaTTa-muNDu ensemble. my oldest aunt always wore it, never a sari; she died in the mid-70s.  her sister did the same until the late 80s. my mother wore it when she was at college in thiru-anantha-puram (there was no women's college in kottayam, her hometown, ninety miles away). i've never seen my mother wear it, although i've seen photographs of her in it. my father's older sister also wore  it.

the chatta-muNDu-kavaNi outfit is unique to syrian christians. the upper part, the chaTTa, is loose, and covers the midriff entirely; the lower part, the muNDu is pleated at one side of the back, to look like a fan. the entire attire is nearly all-white. the chaTTa is entirely white. the hindu women of kerala wear coloured blouses which are more form-fitting.

Very interesting. Thanks FF.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:34 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Interesting. I checked out some pics to see what they meant by fans in the back.

on the "fans" in the back: you would have been disappointed if you were looking for a battery-operated fan with blades that spin around an axis to produce a cool breeze for bystanders, all affixed to a woman's body.

here's a photograph of girls wearing the chaTTa-muNDu ensemble, in which one can clearly see the muNDu pleated at the back to create a (japanese) fan-like effect on one side. in this case, because they're dancing on some special occasion, the muNDu and kavaNi have silver borders, and the muNDu is worn a little higher; otherwise, the entire outfit would be all-white, and worn low enough to graze the foot.

one can also see the kavaNi, a cloth worn over the shoulder, and covers the chest. the kavaNi is not worn inside one's house.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:06 pm

What is the traditional attire for Syrian Christian men, if any?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:32 pm

goodcitizn wrote:What is the traditional attire for Syrian Christian men, if any?

a white, cotton muNDu and a white, cotton shirt. it's the same for all malayali men. until the mid-70s most malayali men living in kerala, including doctors, engineers, and managers, wore the white, cotton muNDu-shirt outfit, even in an office setting. i don't know what it is now.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:51 pm

michelle2 wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:What is the traditional attire for Syrian Christian men, if any?

a white, cotton muNDu and a white, cotton shirt. it's the same for all malayali men. until the mid-70s most malayali men living in kerala, including doctors, engineers, and managers, wore the white, cotton muNDu-shirt outfit, even in an office setting. i don't know what it is now.

Old man, use you search skills and find what keralites are wearing today.

http://keralafashions.com/

Look.... Where is the white?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:57 pm

michelle2 wrote:

here's a recent photograph of oommen chaNDy, the current chief minister of kerala. going by his name, he is a syrian christian.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:03 pm

michelle2 wrote:

This was how most miraasudars in TN used to wear except that they had an angavasthram or towel on the shoulders.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:04 pm

southindian wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

don't understand what "traditional" means? look it up.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:07 pm

michelle2 wrote:
southindian wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

don't know what "wearing today" means? look it up.... or click the link.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:00 pm

southindian wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
southindian wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

don't know what "wearing today" means? look it up.... or click the link.

i do, but this thread is about traditional attire. read the title.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down