Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hindus in no man's land

2 posters

Go down

Hindus in no man's land Empty Hindus in no man's land

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:06 pm

“But problems are not resolved through migration,” says Kumar. “In fact, as we discovered, the challenges began once we arrived in India. Our relatives were kind and helped us initially. But I met several Hindus from Sindh whose applications had been pending for many years. My mind was plagued with questions. What if we don’t get the nationality? What will become of us? Even though I was frustrated by the thought of this long-drawn-out process, I decided to be practical and returned to Thul within three months. I bought my shop back and have resumed my earlier life,” he says.

A similar account is narrated to me by a Hindu rice trader who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “My family and I moved to Indore in 2011 where my relatives have been living for a long time,” says he, a stocky man in his early 50s. “I invested in a shop and was managing to earn a living but we couldn’t reconcile with the anti-Pakistani sentiment of the locals. My children couldn’t get admission to schools because they lacked the necessary documents. If there was any trouble in the neighbourhood, we were questioned because we were Pakistani. Once I reprimanded a group of rowdy teenagers and the locals ganged up against me. This left me disheartened and so we decided to come back.” The rice trader returned to Thul early this year.

Ravi Dawani, the secretary general of the All Pakistan Hindu Panchayat, calls Pakistani Hindus “stateless people” who are “Pakistanis in India and Hindus in Pakistan”. He says quite a few Hindus who had earlier migrated to India are now returning in increasing numbers.

“Most go to cities such as Ahmedabad, Raipur, Indore, Bhopal and Pune, but apart from a few resourceful families, others face immense hardship,” says Dawani. “They remain insecure as Pakistanis, are discriminated against in jobs and school admissions, and get nationality after decades of ordeal.”
http://www.dawn.com/news/1135213

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Hindus in no man's land Empty Re: Hindus in no man's land

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:39 pm

Hindus, Pakistan, Dawn...

So what are YOU saying ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:36 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Hindus, Pakistan, Dawn...

So what are YOU saying ?
Are you saying that it's all hogwash, Pakistani Hindus were/are not discriminated in India?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down