Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

History and the nationalist project

4 posters

Go down

History and the nationalist project Empty History and the nationalist project

Post by rawemotions Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:58 am

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/history-and-the-nationalist-project/article6489516.ece?homepage=true

Excerpts

After the erstwhile princely state of Jammu and Kashmir was merged with India on October 26, 1947, Nehru completely mishandled the territorial dispute issue by taking it to the U.N. and that too without Cabinet approval. The mess that Kashmir is in today can be attributed to Nehru’s lack of national vision. Yet Sardar Patel was not awarded the Bharat Ratna till 1991 when Chandra Shekhar as Prime Minister and I as his senior-most cabinet minister rectified the omission. Nehru had taken the Bharat Ratna for himself in 1955, the very next year after it was instituted as a national award. As a nation builder, Nehru was a complete failure.

:
With Netaji gone, Gandhiji took a vote of Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC) presidents in 1946, and only one of the 16 PCC Presidents voted for Nehru. The other 15 voted for Sardar Patel. But Gandhiji asked Patel to withdraw in favour of Nehru for practical politics — to hasten British departure. History books of the future will record what the practical politics was, when all currently classified files are declassified.

:
Of course, if Mr. Singh has digested the historical concoction handed down to us by Macaulay’s intellectual progenies, it would be difficult for him to name any one belonging to the Hindutva fraternity who had contributed to our independence struggle. Mr. Singh may, therefore, not have heard of Veer Savarkar who changed the outlook of generations of Indians with his book The Indian War of Independence — 1857. He might not have heard either of his great sacrifices in Andaman jail or his heroic escape from the British in Europe. Nor would he know about Hemu Vikramaditya or the great renaissance of the Vijayanagar Empire or the thorough beating the third Caliphate armies received on Rajasthan border at the hands of the Gujarat Prajapati dynasty and the Maharashtra-Andhra Chalukya Empire.

:
The Sarasvati River had been called mythical by historians for the last 200 years. But now with the help of laser science it has been possible to locate the Vedic river underground and has now opened it up. Dwarka, the city of Lord Krishna, was similarly declared to be mythical. But under the dynamic leadership of Dr. S.R. Rao of the Archaeological Survey of India, Dwarka city was found under the ocean of the Gujarat coast. These discoveries find no reflection in our history textbooks.
The chronology that we are made to follow in history textbooks of today is such that Hindu civilisation is shown to arrive after the beginnings of the Judeo-Christian civilisation. Over 2,000 years of Hindu history has been truncated to zero for this purpose. Hence, just as Gandhiji started a revolution in India by urging the masses to burn British clothes, wear Khadi, and boycott British goods, we nationalists too advocate clarity with regards to our national identity by burning history books concocted by British imperialists.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

History and the nationalist project Empty Re: History and the nationalist project

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:01 am

another reason to ditch nehruvian history books-- the relative space devoted to the history of southern india.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

History and the nationalist project Empty Re: History and the nationalist project

Post by truthbetold Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:49 am

Raw

"The Aryan-Dravidian race theory has been demolished by recent researches in genetics based on DNA studies. It has been established that most Indians have the same DNA profile irrespective of caste, religion or region. Yet we find our text books talking about India being multiethnic."

Is this true?  I thought  Aryan invasion theory was demolished and the new idea was small waves of migration from central asia and iran.  But the articles I read indicate that there is evidence linking few sections of upper caste hindus to central asian dna.  Is swamy using the word most in that sentence as an escape clause?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:37 pm

there's probably not many genetic differences probably because everyone's been fucking each other with abandon for a long time. but histories need not be discerned from genetic evidence alone. there is also linguistic evidence. how do you explain the commonalities between sanskrit, avestan and old persian, languages from central asia on the one hand, and between dravidian languages on the other without positing a different origin for the people who spoke these languages in antiquity?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there's probably not many genetic differences probably because everyone's been fucking each other with abandon for a long time. but histories need not be discerned from genetic evidence alone. there is also linguistic evidence. how do you explain the commonalities between sanskrit, avestan and old persian, languages from central asia on the one hand, and between dravidian languages on the other without positing a different origin for the people who spoke these languages in antiquity?

Max

Fucking each other is not really that wide spread in India.  Genetic researchers prefer India because of well preserved tribal/caste/jati  groupings in addition to naional, linguistic, and regional groupings.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:25 am

truthbetold wrote:Raw

"The Aryan-Dravidian race theory has been demolished by recent researches in genetics based on DNA studies. It has been established that most Indians have the same DNA profile irrespective of caste, religion or region. Yet we find our text books talking about India being multiethnic."

Is this true?  I thought  Aryan invasion theory was demolished and the new idea was small waves of migration from central asia and iran.  But the articles I read indicate that there is evidence linking few sections of upper caste hindus to central asian dna.  Is swamy using the word most in that sentence as an escape clause?
All I know is that the theory has been debunked. Do not know the full details on that.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:49 am

rawemotions wrote:

All I know is that the theory has been debunked. Do not know the full details on that.

how do you explain the presence of at least two language groups then?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

how do you explain the presence of at least two language groups then?

Are you thinking of the Celts/Saxons/Normans?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:07 pm

Celts/Normans/Saxons all speak IE languages.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:16 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Celts/Normans/Saxons all speak IE languages.

I wasn't talking about language groups but your other point.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down