Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Max (and only others who are interested in Tamil Poetry/Literature)

5 posters

Go down

For Max (and only others who are interested in Tamil Poetry/Literature) Empty For Max (and only others who are interested in Tamil Poetry/Literature)

Post by Maria S Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:08 pm

I thought that I would mention that in the title..because for others, this may not be appealing, and why waste time:)

Anyways, I watched parts of this great program celebrating Kavignar Vairamuthu's birthday on Sun TV yesterday.  I am a fan of his Tamil writings, will place them in my list of favs. 

As you know the true passion for Tamil transcends religion, caste and politics (and unites us)..so many Tamil Scholars (in the audience)  from different backgrounds..caste, religions, and atheists.  Thought you may be interested, since there were so many mentions of your grandfather (even a kid dressed up like him)..even from Ex-Pres. Dr. Kalaam  (watch from) 16.33.

It's long, but the program was thoroughly enjoyable, to me.  Hope you do too!

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

For Max (and only others who are interested in Tamil Poetry/Literature) Empty Re: For Max (and only others who are interested in Tamil Poetry/Literature)

Post by Maria S Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:10 pm

*Watch it on You Tube, if it's blocked here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2RlmTUM7sY&feature=player_embedded
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

For Max (and only others who are interested in Tamil Poetry/Literature) Empty Re: For Max (and only others who are interested in Tamil Poetry/Literature)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:18 pm

maria -- thanks! i'll definitely watch it. he was my great granduncle, not grandfather.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Well, he may be great granduncle to you..he is Tamil Grandpa (Tamil Thatha)..we'll claim him as ours, I'll call him our Tamil Thatha:)

Seriously, thought you will be interested. 

I enjoy tamil forums and programs where people from the Tamil Diaspora participate..and speak so well..does not even matter who they are,who they honor! It brings back childhood memories, when so many tamil scholars came to our home to visit my real Thatha.

Nice to see the renewed interest in Tamil Poetry, Literature..I can't write so well in Tamil, but so many professionals do (doctors, engineers etc)..surprising to see so many who studied in Tamil Medium in High School (like the Mars Orbiter scientist)..go on to graduate and post grad studies in English.

Did not know there are 500+ Tamil Medium schools in Malaysia..and they study English as the second language..go on and do quite well.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:39 pm

The many different Pattimandrams are great too.

I esp. like the ones moderated by the teacher Dindigul Leoni.

The people are so simple from very modest backgrounds, and the young people are so smart..like their sense of humor!

Alright, time for me to leave!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Maria S wrote:Well, he may be great granduncle to you..he is Tamil Grandpa (Tamil Thatha)..we'll claim him as ours, I'll call him our Tamil Thatha:)

I enjoy tamil forums and programs where people from the Tamil Diaspora participate..and speak so well..does not even matter who they are,who they honor! It brings back childhood memories, when so many tamil scholars came to our home to visit my real Thatha.

Nice to see the renewed interest in Tamil Poetry, Literature..I can't write so well in Tamil, but so many professionals do (doctors, engineers etc)..surprising to see so many who studied in Tamil Medium in High School (like the Mars Orbiter scientist)..go on to graduate and post grad studies in English.

Did not know there are 500+ Tamil Medium schools in Malaysia..and they study English as the second language..go on and do quite well.

absolutely! he and his legacy belong to all tamilians who adore their language.   he is certainly one of my heroes. i was just explaining my relationship more accurately is all. my father who is also devoted to tamil, has been pointing out to me, many US based professionals -- doctors, college professors etc, who write literary commentaries in tamil and publish regularly in US based magazines like thendral.  some of them are competent poets who write in the strict meters provided by yAppilakkaNam, much like our very own GC.  i wish i had the talent.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Maria S wrote:Well, he may be great granduncle to you..he is Tamil Grandpa (Tamil Thatha)..we'll claim him as ours, I'll call him our Tamil Thatha:)

absolutely! he and his legacy belong to all tamilians who adore their language.   he is certainly one of my heroes. i was just explaining my relationship more accurately is all. my father who is also devoted to tamil, has been pointing out to me, many US based professionals -- doctors, college professors etc, who write literary commentaries in tamil and publish regularly in US based magazines like thendral.  some of them are competent poets who write in the strict meters provided by yAppilakkaNam, much like our very own GC.  i wish i had the talent.

What gets me real upset is when very few "educated" even try to talk in tamil and appear to feel shy - even if they can. just on Friday I had to talk to someone in a bank in Madras. As usual, I started off naturally in tamil and continued to talk in tamil. The manager at the other end did not expect this and spoke in English - she had a very tamil name. I continued and I could hear her talking only a few sentences in Tamil reluctantly. Perhaps, she had other customers in front of her... In any case, it is rare to see more than 30% tamil in any so called 'Tamil sentences" these days - on TV or on the street.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:16 am

Maria S wrote:I thought that I would mention that in the title..because for others, this may not be appealing, and why waste time:)

Gasp! I didn't expect such blatantly discriminatory and exclusionary posts from you. The end of days are upon us indeed!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:38 pm

I am not able to download the vairamuthu video using Real Player downloaded. Tried a few other youtube videos. Could not download. But able to download videos from other sites using Real Player downloader. 

Has youtube disabled download? Was able to download a few months ago.

Please check and post your results here.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:45 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Maria S wrote:I thought that I would mention that in the title..because for others, this may not be appealing, and why waste time:)

Gasp! I didn't expect such blatantly discriminatory and exclusionary posts from you. The end of days are upon us indeed!

Not to worry..my bet is these days are somewhere in the "middle" of time.

I didn't expect you to comment!  Nice to know that this thread finally got some attention from the esteemed Mr. MD after a long time!

I attended some book club meetings in Chennai Jan, and they were great experiences.. my own interest in tamil poetry, literature.. esp. contemportary writers and writings has spiked-renewed. 
*Did not want others who are not interested to click and waste their precious time.

Take care. 
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:57 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:I am not able to download the vairamuthu video using Real Player downloaded. Tried a few other youtube videos. Could not download. But able to download videos from other sites using Real Player downloader. 

Has youtube disabled download? Was able to download a few months ago.

Please check and post your results here.

Kayal,

I am still able to view the programs directly in the youtube site..and enjoy watching them! Just type in the name of the program.

take care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Maria, Thanks.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down