Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Americanisms

5 posters

Go down

Americanisms Empty Americanisms

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:31 pm

http://www.answers.com/article/1197652/10-american-words-and-phrases-that-foreigners-hate

• Whatever

• You know

• No way

• Good luck with that

• My bad

• What's up

• Freak out

• Least worst option

• It is what it is
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Americanisms Empty Re: Americanisms

Post by bw Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:14 pm

ugh@"do it already"

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:32 pm

hate "wanna come with?"
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:34 pm

"Awesome!"
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:35 pm

all these sound even more idiotic when uttered with an indian-yank accent.

"write me" is another idiotic one.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:38 pm

Hellsangel wrote:http://www.answers.com/article/1197652/10-american-words-and-phrases-that-foreigners-hate

• Whatever

• You know

• No way

• Good luck with that

• My bad

• What's up

• Freak out

• Least worst option

• It is what it is

'My bad' is probably the one I use with some frequency. 'It is what it is'  is used as a cop-out by some of my co-workers. I have heard people use 'freak out' in India, but it seems to be in a less literal sense than it is used here. One of my room-mates used to say it. He also used to say 'give a test' when he meant 'take a test'.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:41 pm

there are certain usages in the american political media that i intensely dislike. i don't like "political calculus". what's wrong with "political calculation"? another terrible one is "optics" for "appearance". why do these bozos insert math and science terminology into everyday political writing?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/magazine/07FOB-onlanguage-t.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:47 pm

bw wrote:ugh@"do it already"
>>>'Can you bring it to your room?' as opposed to 'Can you take it to your room?'- this usage has bugged me for the longest time and my kids say it now. I drove my dept Admin Assistant nuts with this and she told me she was starting to get nervous every time she had to us either of these words.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:49 pm

Kris wrote: One of my room-mates used to say it. He also used to say 'give a test' when he meant 'take a test'.

that's a direct translation from hindi and probably other northindian languages, i.e. test or exam dEnA.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:53 pm

Kris wrote:
>>>'Can you bring it to your room?' as opposed to 'Can you take it to your room?'- this usage has bugged me for the longest time and my kids say it now. I drove my dept Admin Assistant nuts with this and she told me she was starting to get nervous every time she had to us either of these words.

aargh - this 'bring' for 'take' has spread across the world it seems. kids outside the US use this too and i have corrected many. of course, they all go to international schools that are sufficiently americanized.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:55 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote: One of my room-mates used to say it. He also used to say 'give a test' when he meant 'take a test'.

that's a direct translation from hindi and probably other northindian languages, i.e. test or exam dEnA.
>>.Didn't know that. There is also another one ' going for a party'. Maybe a translation thing too. Come to think of it, I used to use 'arms' and 'hands' interchangeably till someone pointed this out to me.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>.Didn't know that. There is also another one ' going for a party'. Maybe a translation thing too. Come to think of it, I used to use 'arms' and 'hands' interchangeably till someone pointed this out to me.

i did that too for a long time. i became conscious of it when the school recommended that our firstborn sign up for an english as second language class in kindergarten. shocked, we asked the school why this was needed. they told us that they administered a test to all kids whose parents had noted that english was not their first language. when my kid was tested, everything was fine except she had confused the words arm and hand. after they met us in person they decided it wasn't necessary.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:02 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

aargh - this 'bring' for 'take' has spread across the world it seems. kids outside the US use this too and i have corrected many. of course, they all go to international schools that are sufficiently americanized.
>>>It has gone past 'bring'/'take'. My son was talking to my wife when she was on a short break. She told him that she wasn't able to do what she went there for and his response was 'so you came there for nothing?'. I interrupted by saying ' you went there'. He ignored me and said to his mom, ' i am not in the mood for dad's grammar lessons'. The slang thing is an ongoing battle, but they write well. That's my consolation.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:24 pm

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>It has gone past 'bring'/'take'. My son was talking to my wife when she was on a short break. She told him that she wasn't able to do what she went there for and his response was 'so you came there for nothing?'. I interrupted by saying ' you went there'. He ignored me and said to his mom, ' i am not in the mood for dad's grammar lessons'. The slang thing is an ongoing battle, but they write well. That's my consolation.

haha, can relate to "i am not in the mood" "yes, i heard you, dad/mom" retorts. my younger son has recently expanded it to "i am so sorry but it is against my religion to do math at this hour".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:04 am

lol!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down