Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

settling in

+8
southindian
Propagandhi711
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Impedimenta
confuzzled dude
nevada
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

settling in Empty settling in

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:12 pm

damn! looks like we can't even step outside for a couple of days. people are really heeding the warnings. streets are empty.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

settling in Empty Re: settling in

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Do you have enough bread, milk and toilet paper?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 pm

all that and wifi too. people overbuy shit during these events. the thing i worry abt most is running out of gas for my snowblower. i think i am good though.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:all that and wifi too. people overbuy shit during these events. the thing i worry abt most is running out of gas for my snowblower. i think i am good though.

Hence they add the toilet paper to the shopping list.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Looks like the perfect use case for amazon drone delivery

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:28 pm

nevada wrote:Looks like the perfect use case for amazon drone delivery

The conditions are less than ideal for drone flight during a blizzard.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:01 pm

What's with the ban on travel on any road; hope it won't be that bad. Do you have backup generator?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:49 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:What's with the ban on travel on any road; hope it won't be that bad. Do you have backup generator?

no. got buried power lines and hoping won't lose power. we'll see.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:19 pm

yup. one good thing about this, i got all the time i wanted to practice my showcase :-) settled down now to watch this new series on Netflix - death comes to Pemberly. I loved the book. i've seen the first two episodes. a bit slow,IMO. not very happy with the casting, jenna whoever looks not so good. because i'm obsessed with finishing this up, i'll watch.

stay warm and stay safe.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:damn! looks like we can't even step outside for a couple of days. people are really heeding the warnings. streets are empty.

Oh non-essential vehicles are banned after 12 midnight - $500 fine or 1 yr in jail...

MBTA stopped, etc..etc..hope some old city water pipes dont break....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:30 am

not so bad here.... is still snowing, but going by the snow levels on a table on my deck, could be regular 5-6 inches.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:49 am

getting hammered. probably going to end up with more than two feet by the time this all done.

backyard:
settling in Photo10

hey i need to go badly, what's this white stuff!
settling in Photo_10
p.s: that's not a storm door. she's standing up on the snow.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:53 am

omg that's a lot!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:25 am

Impedimenta wrote:yup. one good thing about this, i got all the time i wanted to practice my showcase :-) settled down now to watch this new series on Netflix - death comes to Pemberly. I loved the book. i've seen the first two episodes. a bit slow,IMO. not very happy with the casting, jenna whoever looks not so good. because i'm obsessed with finishing this up, i'll watch.

stay warm and stay safe.

check out the killing. i am watching a couple of episodes a day. will probably watch more today when i need a break. very well made. i am a sucker for dark, moody whodunits. rainy gray seattle is ideal for this sort of thing. based on a danish TV series called forbrydelsen.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:35 am

finished up first season of True Detective between sunday and monday. All 8 episodes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:50 am

Any flooding around you, Il Professore?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Any flooding around you, Il Professore?

that's only in the coastal regions, not inland. i am dealing with monster amounts of snow. just got rid of half the white stuff on my driveway. came back inside for some hot chai. will go back out after fortifying myself.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:57 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Any flooding around you, Il Professore?

that's only in the coastal regions, not inland. i am dealing with monster amounts of snow. just got rid of half the white stuff on my driveway. came back inside for some hot chai. will go back out after fortifying myself.

that's one advantage of having a husband at home, or an ex, hehe. don't have to clean it myself and don't have to pay the landscapers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:getting hammered. probably going to end up with more than two feet by the time this all done.

backyard:
settling in Photo10

settling in Photo_10

I tried to clean the snow outside my rear patio door - which was half covered. And the wind promptly piled it back up.

I am moving to hawaii - need help fro PP.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:21 am

more white stuff. more closures. getting tiring.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:01 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

I tried to clean the snow outside my rear patio door - which was half covered. And the wind promptly piled it back up.

I thought you've reduced your worldly needs to a minimum and can live in kansas city for rest of your life without needing to move anywhere? why would you all of a sudden move to the northeast? to make gasp...more money?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:02 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:more white stuff. more closures. getting tiring.

Snow? In New England?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:06 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

Snow? In New England?

wouldn't complain normally. it's the 1-2 punch that's a pain in the ass. still coming down. all morning and all afternoon. more blowing and shoveling.
settling in Second10
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:getting hammered. probably going to end up with more than two feet by the time this all done.

backyard:
settling in Photo10

settling in Photo_10

Run Forest! RUN!

New England is not a place for KanSaas dwellers.

Thanks to Kansas team for that defeat to Patriots. The Seahawks are healing their behind.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Snow? In New England?

wouldn't complain normally. it's the 1-2 punch that's a pain in the ass. still coming down. all morning and all afternoon. more blowing and shoveling.
settling in Second10

Looks beautiful. Sigh.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:40 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Looks beautiful. Sigh.

it is beautiful. as we struggle through dealing with this, i just keep telling myself it's important take a breath and just admire nature even if it's just the briefest of moments before getting back to cussing it again.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:14 pm

getting down to -6 F tonight.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:getting down to -6 F tonight.
Are you bragging or are you  complaining?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:53 pm

getting another 20" tonight through tuesday. this is unprecedented territory. really weird weather patterns. parts of alaska are getting less snow and are warmer than us on and off.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:getting another 20" tonight through tuesday. this is unprecedented territory. really weird weather patterns. parts of alaska are getting less snow and are warmer than us on and off.

Hey... at least it is not during weekends. It is just the Monday/Tues weekly routine.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:getting another 20" tonight through tuesday. this is unprecedented territory. really weird weather patterns. parts of alaska are getting less snow and are warmer than us on and off.

Hey... at least it is not during weekends. It is just the Monday/Tues weekly routine.

it's because you moved here. go back to kansas and take the snow with you.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:02 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

it's because you moved here. go back to kansas and take the snow with you.

Haven't you heard the tamil saying "It rains wherever good people are" except here it is snow wonly.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Schools MAY be closed tomorrow in Booston...

I guess Atlanta has really scared the shyt out of Boston, NY and everybody. If Chicago/Minneapolis can operate normally, I dont see why Boston cannot operate. It is not like Boston had a Hawaiian or even Kansas weather. Bunch of sissies.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:40 pm

I guess Atlanta has really scared the shyt out of Boston, NY and everybody. If Chicago/Minneapolis can operate normally, I dont see why Boston cannot operate.  It is not like Boston had a Hawaiian or even Kansas weather. Bunch of sissies.

normally i'd agree with you, but this season is historic and the amount of snowfall is more in line with cities like buffalo. they are prepared for snow, but the amount has overwhelmed all their resources.  driving around and commuting has been very painful. it's ridiculous to be stuck in the car for 2.5 hrs when normal commute times are 45 min to an hour. i mean why bother driving to work and waste time? normally, on days like this i ditch the car and take the commuter rail/subway system, but they've been unable to keep up and are either canceling wholesale or running crazy behind schedule. but i do think these kind of heavy precipitation events are here to stay are probably part of anthropogenic climate change.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I guess Atlanta has really scared the shyt out of Boston, NY and everybody. If Chicago/Minneapolis can operate normally, I dont see why Boston cannot operate.  It is not like Boston had a Hawaiian or even Kansas weather. Bunch of sissies.

normally i'd agree with you, but this season is historic and the amount of snowfall is more in line with cities like buffalo. they are prepared for snow, but the amount has overwhelmed all their resources.  driving around and commuting has been very painful. it's ridiculous to be stuck in the car for 2.5 hrs when normal commute times are 45 min to an hour.  i mean why bother driving to work and waste time? normally, on days like this i ditch the car and take the commuter rail/subway system, but they've been unable to keep up and are either canceling wholesale or running crazy behind schedule. but i do think these kind of heavy precipitation events are here to stay are probably part of anthropogenic climate change.
Sorry to hear this! I am not however sorry that i'm having the most glorious time in chennai :-) rehearsals in about a few hours. As usual all the items i had hoped to perform have changed into new ones, decided by my teacher. My new mridangist is phenomenal and is challenging me with the pace of the thillana. Hopefully, my knee  cooperates! Sorry, i cannot help but act and feel giddy...he he. if i can pull this off, it will be one of my best If not, i will never be invited back to this festival. Slightly feeling pressured.

PS: I'm going bold with my costume, as bold as chennai can handle - No temple jewellary, only gold colored and my costume is green and white with a gold border along the bottom, designed by me. it does not even look like a traditional costume. I showed it around to a few dancers and have been getting jealous stares. let's see.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

normally i'd agree with you, but this season is historic and the amount of snowfall is more in line with cities like buffalo. they are prepared for snow, but the amount has overwhelmed all their resources.  driving around and commuting has been very painful. it's ridiculous to be stuck in the car for 2.5 hrs when normal commute times are 45 min to an hour.  i mean why bother driving to work and waste time? normally, on days like this i ditch the car and take the commuter rail/subway system, but they've been unable to keep up and are either canceling wholesale or running crazy behind schedule. but i do think these kind of heavy precipitation events are here to stay are probably part of anthropogenic climate change.
Sorry to hear this! I am not however sorry that i'm having the most glorious time in chennai :-) rehearsals in about a few hours. As usual all the items i had hoped to perform have changed into new ones, decided by my teacher. My new mridangist is phenomenal and is challenging me with the pace of the thillana. Hopefully, my knee  cooperates! Sorry, i cannot help but act and feel giddy...he he. if i can pull this off, it will be one of my best If not, i will never be invited back to this festival. Slightly feeling pressured.

PS: I'm going bold with my costume, as bold as chennai can handle - No temple jewellary, only gold colored and my costume is green and white with a gold border along the bottom, designed by me. it does not even look like a traditional costume. I showed it around to a few dancers and have been getting jealous stares. let's see.

have fun and good luck!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:55 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>>Good luck with the program. Hope it goes well. 

P.S. I would go easy with the bold costumes. I don't want the moral police getting wind of this bikini-clad BN dancer. Just sayin'

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:59 am

Looks like kids will enjoy a great holiday today with just 3 inches of snow - perhaps less in the MASS and in Boston.

This time the brunt of the attack will be on that parking lot and concrete slum called NYC.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:25 am

Looks like kids will enjoy a great holiday today with just 3 inches of snow - perhaps less in the MASS and in Boston.

This time the brunt of the attack will be on that parking lot and concrete slum called NYC.

don't know where you are, but i am getting socked. 6 inches more than the 3 over the weekend and still coming down and expected to till tuesday morning.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:16 am

here, even though the schools put a 2-hour delay notice, we underestimated the 'freezing rain' warning and kept the cars outside. In the morning haze (of the mind), I didn't realize it was raining. Took 10-15 minutes to scrape off the thick ice on the car. Luckily it wasn't bitter windy cold outside. But the ice was stubborn. Missed the school bus, and had to deal with the school traffic. *ugh* and then almost slipped at the side walk at work.

sorry max, your pain is bigger, but decided to rant anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:29 am

It's pretty cloudy, and raining here too. Temp is 57 F outside. Max is going to be 63 F. Life is good! tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:20 am

Here it is wonderful 66 and clear skies:) Need to prepare the garden soil for this year's veggies...

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:46 pm

the public transportation system is a mess. the state govt and local govts here are overrun with nepotistic, inbred a-holes of one party and one party only. this is why i like republicans at least from time to time to run the exec branch of govt in MA. this governor sounds like he means business. hope he fires the MBTA chief and does something about the soviet era transportation system.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Ah yes! The Great Democrat bastion of Massachusetts!

What were you saying about the Lone Star State, Il Professore?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the public transportation system is a mess. the state govt and local govts here are overrun with nepotistic, inbred a-holes of one party and one party only. this is why i like republicans at least from time to time to run the exec branch of govt in MA. this governor sounds like he means business. hope he fires the MBTA chief and does something about the soviet era transportation system.  

Neopotism and "friends with benefits" are a huge problem in Boston and NYC (and Chicago), and increasingly in LA (the hispanic "family" type connections).

Boston should not be having this situation....it needs to be corrected.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:17 pm

saamiyaar -- wichita KS is 75 F.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Upps, is this move to boston a temporary one?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:saamiyaar -- wichita KS is 75 F.

And my BABA has lost 25%....from where I bought.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Kinnera wrote:Upps, is this move to boston a temporary one?

Now, that is classified.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:38 pm

Kinnera wrote:Upps, is this move to boston a temporary one?

Now, that is classified.
I shouldn't have asked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next