Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

american society's unequal treatment of the top 1%

+2
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

american society's unequal treatment of the top 1% Empty american society's unequal treatment of the top 1%

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:07 pm

brian williams is being suspended by NBC news for 6 months. my question: why is he not losing his job following which he is banished from journalism altogether? if a doctor screws up knowingly, or a scientist falsifies data knowingly, or a sales manager fudges sales figures deliberately to get him over one quarter of financial results, s/he is going to loser her career. why are the rules different for people in very visible positions in finance or journalism?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

american society's unequal treatment of the top 1% Empty Re: american society's unequal treatment of the top 1%

Post by Kris Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:brian williams is being suspended by NBC news for 6 months. my question: why is he not losing his job following which he is banished from journalism altogether? if a doctor screws up knowingly, or a scientist falsifies data knowingly, or a sales manager fudges sales figures deliberately to get him over one quarter of financial results, s/he is going to loser her career. why are the rules different for people in very visible positions in finance or journalism?
>>>I think it may be some combination of what the market bears (or less charitably put, what he can get away with) and the actual damage. With a doctor or a scientist, there is usually little access to a PR damage control machine. In BW's case, his behavior is not so much of A damage issue, as it is a matter of ethics. Since adherence to ethics has become loosey-goosey overall in day-to day life, the six month window is to see how the wind blows. NBC must have figured anything less could have been used to taint them by their competition. Sadly, it has become more about this than ethics.

Kris

Back to top Go down

american society's unequal treatment of the top 1% Empty Re: american society's unequal treatment of the top 1%

Post by FluteHolder Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:31 pm

Same goes to Fareed Zacharia who admitted to plagiarism. Is he still working?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:brian williams is being suspended by NBC news for 6 months. my question: why is he not losing his job following which he is banished from journalism altogether? if a doctor screws up knowingly, or a scientist falsifies data knowingly, or a sales manager fudges sales figures deliberately to get him over one quarter of financial results, s/he is going to loser her career. why are the rules different for people in very visible positions in finance or journalism?
>>>I think it may be some combination of what the market bears (or less charitably put, what he can get away with) and the actual damage. With a doctor or a scientist, there is usually little access to a PR damage control machine. In BW's case, his behavior is not so much of A damage issue, as it is a matter of ethics. Since adherence to ethics has become loosey-goosey overall in day-to day life, the six month window is to see how the wind blows. NBC must have figured anything less could have been used to taint them by their competition. Sadly, it has become more about this than ethics.

tolerance for ethical lapses is unequal in different professions. jamie dimon and fareed zakaria are still working. i can't name one scientist or doctor who is continuing in his field after an ethical lapse.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:59 pm

If you dig deep in local govt/county/leo/administration you would find more unethical behaviors and nepotism prevalent..

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:03 pm

FluteHolder wrote:If you dig deep in local govt/county/leo/administration you would find more unethical behaviors and nepotism prevalent..
>>>I must agree on this sad state of affairs. 'You scratch my back, I scratch yours' is a lot more prevalent than we think.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:54 pm

probably cuz journalism has for a long time stopped being about delivering honest news and informed opinions to the public and is actually just entertainment. not surprised you've been deceived - it looks quite sophisticated when a wasp delivers it and like mtv when any minority delivers it. that stupid stuffy loser, he has been showing up on comedy shows as himself now-and-then too.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:21 am

Duhhh...since when ????? That was all once upon a time.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:32 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

probably cuz journalism has for a long time stopped being about delivering honest news and informed opinions to the public and is actually just entertainment. not surprised you've been deceived - it looks quite sophisticated when a wasp delivers it and like mtv when any minority delivers it. that stupid stuffy loser, he has been showing up on comedy shows as himself now-and-then too.

hey, I was just skimming the news and I came across this by david brooks, I like what he has to say but I don't buy it entirely. guess bw didn't get enough love:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/10/opinion/david-brooks-the-act-of-rigorous-forgiving.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:54 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

actually i haven't been watching regular TV news for well over a decade. i get my news from the web and jon stewart.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:23 pm

not that I like brian williams douche but an article on memory recollection might be topical:

http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/idea-happened-memory-recollection

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down