Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sexual assault

Go down

sexual assault Empty sexual assault

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:54 pm

www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/12/madonna-says-her-rape-wasnt-worth-reporting-humiliation_n_6856196.html

The singer first spoke out about the violent crime in an October 2013 essay in Harper's Bazaar. "New York wasn't everything I thought it would be. It did not welcome me with open arms," she wrote. "The first year, I was held up at gunpoint. Raped on the roof of a building I was dragged up to with a knife in my back, and had my apartment broken into three times."

She also explained to Stern why she never reported the incident to the cops or attempted to press charges. "You've already been violated," she said. "It's just not worth it. It's too much humiliation."

In one sentence, Madonna got to the heart of why rape is one of the most grossly underreported crimes in the United States. According to RAINN, about 68 percent of rapes are never reported. Likely, part of this tendency to underreport is because of the stigma, negative attention and re-traumatization that many victims of sexual assault face during the reporting process. And at the end of the day, just two of every 100 people who commit rape will ever receive jail time.

Back to top Go down