Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

yellapragada subbarow

4 posters

Go down

yellapragada subbarow Empty yellapragada subbarow

Post by swapna Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:09 pm

I first heard about yellapragada subbarow when siddhartha mukherjee, the author of "the emperor of all maladies" mentioned the name in an interview with terry gross of npr.

subbarow was a doctor and biochemist with a ph.d. from harvard, who got a couple of raw deals, both from the british in india and harvard university, and developed methotrexate, the first anti-cancer agent, which is still widely used in chemotherapy.

here's his story:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellapragada_Subbarow

swapna

Back to top Go down

yellapragada subbarow Empty Re: yellapragada subbarow

Post by Guest Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:21 pm

Nice.

I wonder how many Indians know about Rangaswamy Srinivasan whose medical breakthrough has changed the lives of millions of people and continues to do so.  Hats off to medical research and the inventors. Here's the story: 

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/excimer/

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:03 pm

swapna wrote:I first heard about yellapragada subbarow when siddhartha mukherjee, the author of "the emperor of all maladies" mentioned the name in an interview with terry gross of npr.

subbarow was a doctor and biochemist with a ph.d. from harvard, who got a couple of raw deals, both from the british in india and harvard university, and developed methotrexate, the first anti-cancer agent, which is still widely used in chemotherapy.

here's his story:

thank you very much for teaching me that. yallapragada is also the name of a famous telugu writer.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:10 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
swapna wrote:I first heard about yellapragada subbarow when siddhartha mukherjee, the author of "the emperor of all maladies" mentioned the name in an interview with terry gross of npr.

here's his story:

thank you very much for teaching me that. yallapragada is also the name of a famous telugu writer.
If you are talking about the poet of the 'kavitrayam', then it's 'Yerrapragada'. You are close Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:14 pm

Yes, Yellapragada Subba Rao was famous for his work on antibiotics as well. Lederle Laboratories has his statue in front of their Research Centre. His work led to the discovery of tetracycline! In my view, he deserved a Nobel prize. He was not treated well in the US or by the Madras govt. in India.

AP should honour him by naming the state's AIIMS after him.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:44 pm

yellapragada subbarow 3183771-screen+shot+2013-07-19+at+2.44.47+am

AS should read more ACK.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content