Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a question on bharat natyam...

+12
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Maria S
swapna
Kris
Appalamma
ashaNirasha
Seva Lamberdar
bw
truthbetold
FluteHolder
Vakavaka Pakapaka
southindian
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:42 pm

how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by southindian Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:55 pm

Sorry! can't help you on this one. Not sure what they take to stay awake.
southindian
southindian

Posts : 4643
Join date : 2012-10-08

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:00 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?

Sleeping....???? You mean..... their performance is boring for you????

Next time, don't eat malaikofta with buttery parantha before going to such performances. Eat a LOT of sambaar with a few idlis. You may need to go to the washroom a few times but you will certainly not fall asleep!!!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 7611
Join date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:12 pm

you may have to pay me (plus good food) to go see a bn performance.

the ones I have seen on the video over the years, that was my observation. thought I should ask.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by FluteHolder Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Donot know about musicians, but BN is not an easy one. If you eat light/simple food and partial empty stomach,  it can never make you sleepy Smile

It takes lots of energy to dance for even 5 minutes. I could see my daughter tiring after her practice sessions/classes. 

I have a question related to this. Any  good quality reco for face makeups/prep for BN to avoid skin/face irritations? We are trying various brands and still not perfect. Also the spray they use for hair is giving me headache. Any good reco for this so that I can avoid having headache while driving to the performance/venue.

FluteHolder

Posts : 2355
Join date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by FluteHolder Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:23 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:you may have to pay me (plus good food) to go see a bn performance.

the ones I have seen on the video over the years, that was my observation. thought I should ask.
https://such.forumotion.com/t31545-manduka-shabdham-a-kuchipudi-rendition#197494 (this is kuchipudi ) 

Thanks to CD for this link. Wonderful performance...



And for BN..



FluteHolder

Posts : 2355
Join date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 pm

ok so maybe I have been watching mediocre or poor ones then.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by truthbetold Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Bk
Each bn piece represent a story from Indian mythology. The movements of the dancer represents the actions and expressions of the characters in the story. Yes. It takes little more imagination than Bollywood dances to understand the story. The bn dancers also have to put in lot more effort than hip gyrating movie actors.

truthbetold

Posts : 6799
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:32 pm

truthbetold wrote:Bk
Each bn piece represent a story from Indian mythology. The movements of the dancer represents the actions and expressions of the characters in the story. Yes. It takes little more imagination than Bollywood dances to understand the story. The bn dancers also have to put in lot more effort than hip gyrating movie actors.


that alone doesn't make them superior than others, does it? Are you saying a low level graceless BN dancer is better than a graceful Bollywood dancer?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:32 pm

ya, thanks to CD for posting that Kuchipudi dance performance by Aishwarya Raja. A truly mesmerising performance. 

ya BK...there are good dancers and there are crappy ones. You may have watched some bad ones.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:08 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:you may have to pay me (plus good food) to go see a bn performance.

the ones I have seen on the video over the years, that was my observation. thought I should ask.

I think classical anything (dance, singing, stage play, etc.) requires some familiarity with the topic and a genuine interest in the art-form. When was a student in India, I didn't enjoy some ragas in Hindustani music. Now I do. The difference is - now I know more about HM. I am sure, some NIs don't enjoy Carnatic music. I enjoy Telugu stage plays (some mythological musicals are quite lengthy - they go on forever - from 8 PM to 4 AM!!!). My kids tell me that they don't like them at all!

Here is an example of a song from a Telugu stage play (it is alright if you don't like it :-)):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSPIb0xh5I


Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 7611
Join date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:26 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Here is an example of a song from a Telugu stage play (it is alright if you don't like it :-)):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSPIb0xh5I

lol@it's alright...

these stage plays used to be the primary source of entertainment for the folks before they had TVs and all. My mom and dad are great fans of those and get very nostalgic about them. Ya, this 'janda pai kapi raju...' is a very famous one. Entha sepu ragam teeste antha goppa anta. I guess these are mostly the compositions of Tirupati venkata kavulu.

btw, athanu chaala baaga paadaru. He sang very well.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Here is an example of a song from a Telugu stage play (it is alright if you don't like it :-)):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSPIb0xh5I

lol@it's alright...

these stage plays used to be the primary source of entertainment for the folks before they had TVs and all. My mom and dad are great fans of those and get very nostalgic about them. Ya, this 'janda pai kapi raju...' is a very famous one. Entha sepu ragam teeste antha goppa anta. I guess these are mostly the compositions of Tirupati venkata kavulu.

btw, athanu chaala baaga paadaru. He sang very well.

Gummadi Radhakrishna is a major stage actor in AP. His style is similar to that of Abburi Varaprasada Rao.

Here is an example of Abburi's & Pulipaka's work which became the gold standard:

http://beta.blugaa.com/track/abburi-varaprasada-rao-pulipaka-venkatappiah-krishna-karna-samvadam-part-1/51908


Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 7611
Join date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Here is an example of a song from a Telugu stage play (it is alright if you don't like it :-)):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSPIb0xh5I

lol@it's alright...

these stage plays used to be the primary source of entertainment for the folks before they had TVs and all. My mom and dad are great fans of those and get very nostalgic about them. Ya, this 'janda pai kapi raju...' is a very famous one. Entha sepu ragam teeste antha goppa anta. I guess these are mostly the compositions of Tirupati venkata kavulu.

btw, athanu chaala baaga paadaru. He sang very well.

Gummadi Radhakrishna is a major stage actor in AP. His style is similar to that of Abburi Varaprasada Rao.

Here is an example of Abburi's & Pulipaka's work which became the gold standard:

http://beta.blugaa.com/track/abburi-varaprasada-rao-pulipaka-venkatappiah-krishna-karna-samvadam-part-1/51908
My parents must be knowing about them. Suri babu and Tilakam are the two names I remember. Actually, aa rendu perlu (abburi, pulipaka) vinnattugane undi.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Here is an example of a song from a Telugu stage play (it is alright if you don't like it :-)):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSPIb0xh5I

lol@it's alright...

these stage plays used to be the primary source of entertainment for the folks before they had TVs and all. My mom and dad are great fans of those and get very nostalgic about them. Ya, this 'janda pai kapi raju...' is a very famous one. Entha sepu ragam teeste antha goppa anta. I guess these are mostly the compositions of Tirupati venkata kavulu.

btw, athanu chaala baaga paadaru. He sang very well.

Gummadi Radhakrishna is a major stage actor in AP. His style is similar to that of Abburi Varaprasada Rao.

Here is an example of Abburi's & Pulipaka's work which became the gold standard:

http://beta.blugaa.com/track/abburi-varaprasada-rao-pulipaka-venkatappiah-krishna-karna-samvadam-part-1/51908
My parents must be knowing about them. Suri babu and Tilakam are the two names I remember. Actually, aa rendu perlu (abburi, pulipaka) vinnattugane undi.

Abburi & Pulipaka belonged to my father's generation.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 7611
Join date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by bw Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:24 pm

FluteHolder wrote:

lyrics: ar rahman?  Rolling Eyes

bw

Posts : 2922
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by FluteHolder Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:31 pm

bw wrote:
lyrics: ar rahman?  Rolling Eyes
Probably she meant the music by ARR.

I wanted to post an SG video to answer you, but have to leave now for BN class Smile. I would like to say something similar like  kamal says in PKS (Pazhamozhi sonna Anubhavikkanum, aaarayakkoodhadu Smile ).

FluteHolder

Posts : 2355
Join date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by bw Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:43 pm

FluteHolder wrote:
bw wrote:
lyrics: ar rahman?  Rolling Eyes
Probably she meant the music by ARR.

I wanted to post an SG video to answer you, but have to leave now for BN class Smile. I would like to say something similar like  kamal says in PKS (Pazhamozhi sonna Anubhavikkanum, aaarayakkoodhadu Smile ).

the video says "lyrics and music" by ar rahman.

please do post something new and exciting from SG ji. been watching 'fawlty towers' but that's only a few episodes. SG is an endless source of mirth. Twisted Evil

bw

Posts : 2922
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by truthbetold Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Bk
Each bn piece represent a story from Indian mythology. The movements of the dancer represents the actions and expressions of the characters in the story. Yes. It takes little more imagination than Bollywood dances to understand the story. The bn dancers also have to put in lot more effort than hip gyrating movie actors.


that alone doesn't make them superior than others, does it? Are you saying a low level graceless BN dancer is better than a graceful Bollywood dancer?
BK,

"that alone" - Please elaborate on what you are referring to ?  

I do not know what you meant by better.  I compared the 'effort' required between BN performance and a movie dance. 

I also suggest that you reread your original post and reflect on that.

truthbetold

Posts : 6799
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:56 pm

Most videos I have seen, the performers seem like they are ready to yawn themselves…

And I find it funny how people say, 'you need knowledge of it to get it'. Right, so it is probably the only art form in the world that's catered just to the so-called elites. Mind you, I have seen very few good BN performances too, even if for only 5-10 minutes, where the dancers were able to keep some interest alive. But sorry to say, most BN dancers just look like they are basking in the glory of great work done by a handful others and it looks like the moment they get up on the stage, they are in a hot bubble that no one has a right to criticize them unless they can distinguish a krishna prayer from a shiva prayer, or whatever they are named.

To Sandilya's other points…

When I was engaged to XH, I used to watch Marathi plays with his family on weekends done by artists from Mumbai. I didn't know marathi, so I would catch up on whatever Sanskrit words I knew, and the rest I would ask my X-mil. Inspite of that, those plays were so engaging, and I used to understand every bit of them and enjoyed them thoroughly. Some of them, I still remember well, that's how profound they were. I have watched a couple of good SI movies without subtitles on doordarshan, and understood all of the story/context based on performances.

I have zero knowledge of ragas, but depending on mood of some day, I am able to enjoy certain compositions - both classical and filmy. I can't make out Mozart from Beethoven, but hey, when that music is adapted in a modern musical piece, I appreciate it unknowingly. And I am someone with pedestrian taste.

Just because someone was pushed into BN at the age of 3 and then completed whatever that arangetram is called, doesn't give them the right to feel superior; also, others don't need to do a blind worship of the dance form just coz the dancers took the effort to learn something based out of some mythology. They are of no good to anyone if they can't dance well and look like they are moving arms and legs out of some memorized set routine. You think professional dancers of other types don't put in any effort? Dance, in it's most basic necessity, is all about expressions that engages its viewers. I just wish people realized this before blindly patronizing a dance form. I can understand if the motive is to keep an ancient tradition alive, but also learn to see the criticism in its true light instead of giving explanations like, 'u need to know it' or 'it takes a lot of effort'.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by truthbetold Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:23 pm

BK,

Whether you like BN or not is not of much interest to me.  Disparaging comments about BN forces some of us to respond.  

Please stop lecturing others about blind patronizing.

You should research on effort required by different forms of dancing before talking about it.

truthbetold

Posts : 6799
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:34 pm

i talked about average BN dancers, not about BN itself, and the fact how as a group, these dancers look so boring/bored themselves.

if you want to take up the cause of BN, then stick to it, and come up with your supporting points for it. In an attempt to enhance BN, you don't really need to disparage bollywood dance or hip gyrations, some of which btw are far better than any sleep inducing BN dance out there. 

I have taken salsa classes, and got a taste of a few other dance forms in zumba, and while I was terrible at it, got quite a decent firsthand idea of the effort required to become, say a good ballerina. Not to mentioned many movies and tv shows I have seen that are based on dances and dancers. And I learned a little bit of kathak as a kid. So, I hope this much research is sufficient.

No one likes to hear bad things about their region or culture. If I hurt your feelings, then I apologize. Just felt the need to put something that had been going in my head for quite sometime.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:04 pm

Talking about zumba, i really appreciate it. It introduces you to the many dance forms of the world. You get a feel for different dances. I've been doing zumba for almost 3 1/2 years and have made quite a bit of progress in it, from the clumsy and clueless dancer in my first class to a pretty confident dancer that i am now. It's not easy perfecting the different dance steps, styles and movements. There's still a long way for me to go to perfect it, though i am at a comfy and confident position right now.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:28 pm

truthbetold wrote:BK,

Whether you like BN or not is not of much interest to me.  Disparaging comments about BN forces some of us to respond.  

Please stop lecturing others about blind patronizing.

You should research on effort required by different forms of dancing before talking about it.
TBT, ikkada eppatinuncho appudappudu manchi kuchipudi dance videos post chestunnaru....from shoba naidu, radha reddy/raja reddy, group dances to the recent aiswarya ones. Ee lover of arts tamilulu okkaraina eppudaina vaatini okkasaraina appreciate chesaara? Kalala meeda antha makkuva unnappudu ae kalalaina appreciate cheyali kada? Baagundani okka saaraina analede. enduku? Manakunna udaarata lede?

Ippudu tanu BN ni question chesindani meeku paurusham poduchuku vacchindi. Enduku? Bollywood dances ni antha takkuva chesi matladinappudu ee paurusham lede? Adi kooda oka dance form. Antha sulabham emi kaadu. Kala edaina kale.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:11 pm

Kinnera wrote:
truthbetold wrote:BK,

Whether you like BN or not is not of much interest to me.  Disparaging comments about BN forces some of us to respond.  

Please stop lecturing others about blind patronizing.

You should research on effort required by different forms of dancing before talking about it.
TBT, ikkada eppatinuncho appudappudu manchi kuchipudi dance videos post chestunnaru....from shoba naidu, radha reddy/raja reddy, group dances to the recent aiswarya ones. Ee lover of arts tamilulu okkaraina eppudaina vaatini okkasaraina appreciate chesaara? Kalala meeda antha makkuva unnappudu ae kalalaina appreciate cheyali kada? Baagundani okka saaraina analede. enduku? Manakunna udaarata lede?

Ippudu tanu BN ni question chesindani meeku paurusham poduchuku vacchindi. Enduku? Bollywood dances ni antha takkuva chesi matladinappudu ee paurusham lede? Adi kooda oka dance form. Antha sulabham emi kaadu. Kala edaina kale.

అరవగోల. మనసాంప్రదాయాల గురించి వాళ్ళు అంటే ఏమిటి అనకపోతే ఏమిటి. నిజానికి, భరత నాట్యం తంజావూరులో నాయక రాజుల కాలంలొ ప్రసిద్ధి కి తెచ్చినవాళ్ళు మనవాళ్ళు. అరవ వాళ్ళ లాగ డబ్బా కొట్టటం మనకు రాదు.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 7611
Join date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by FluteHolder Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:34 pm

This discussion reminded me of this clip from Shankarabharanam movie...I guess the same may be applied to Dance too.


FluteHolder

Posts : 2355
Join date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by bw Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:43 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
truthbetold wrote:BK,

Whether you like BN or not is not of much interest to me.  Disparaging comments about BN forces some of us to respond.  

Please stop lecturing others about blind patronizing.

You should research on effort required by different forms of dancing before talking about it.
TBT, ikkada eppatinuncho appudappudu manchi kuchipudi dance videos post chestunnaru....from shoba naidu, radha reddy/raja reddy, group dances to the recent aiswarya ones. Ee lover of arts tamilulu okkaraina eppudaina vaatini okkasaraina appreciate chesaara? Kalala meeda antha makkuva unnappudu ae kalalaina appreciate cheyali kada? Baagundani okka saaraina analede. enduku? Manakunna udaarata lede?

Ippudu tanu BN ni question chesindani meeku paurusham poduchuku vacchindi. Enduku? Bollywood dances ni antha takkuva chesi matladinappudu ee paurusham lede? Adi kooda oka dance form. Antha sulabham emi kaadu. Kala edaina kale.

అరవగోల. మనసాంప్రదాయాల గురించి వాళ్ళు అంటే ఏమిటి అనకపోతే ఏమిటి. నిజానికి, భరత నాట్యం తంజావూరులో నాయక రాజుల కాలంలొ ప్రసిద్ధి కి తెచ్చినవాళ్ళు మనవాళ్ళు. అరవ వాళ్ళ లాగ డబ్బా కొట్టటం మనకు రాదు.

were the nayaka kings telugu?

bw

Posts : 2922
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:12 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
Try the following BN-based dance / song, 


Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 6575
Join date : 2012-11-29

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:26 am

bw wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
truthbetold wrote:BK,

Whether you like BN or not is not of much interest to me.  Disparaging comments about BN forces some of us to respond.  

Please stop lecturing others about blind patronizing.

You should research on effort required by different forms of dancing before talking about it.
TBT, ikkada eppatinuncho appudappudu manchi kuchipudi dance videos post chestunnaru....from shoba naidu, radha reddy/raja reddy, group dances to the recent aiswarya ones. Ee lover of arts tamilulu okkaraina eppudaina vaatini okkasaraina appreciate chesaara? Kalala meeda antha makkuva unnappudu ae kalalaina appreciate cheyali kada? Baagundani okka saaraina analede. enduku? Manakunna udaarata lede?

Ippudu tanu BN ni question chesindani meeku paurusham poduchuku vacchindi. Enduku? Bollywood dances ni antha takkuva chesi matladinappudu ee paurusham lede? Adi kooda oka dance form. Antha sulabham emi kaadu. Kala edaina kale.

అరవగోల. మనసాంప్రదాయాల గురించి వాళ్ళు అంటే ఏమిటి అనకపోతే ఏమిటి. నిజానికి, భరత నాట్యం తంజావూరులో నాయక రాజుల కాలంలొ ప్రసిద్ధి కి తెచ్చినవాళ్ళు మనవాళ్ళు. అరవ వాళ్ళ లాగ డబ్బా కొట్టటం మనకు రాదు.

were the nayaka kings telugu?

కొంతమంది తెలుగు వాళ్ళు కొంతమంది కన్నడ వాళ్ళు అని చరిత్ర పుస్తకాల్లొ రాశారు. ఆసలు నాయకులందరూ కాకతీయ దేశం నుంచి వచ్చారని కొంతమంది చరిత్రకారులంటారు. క్రిష్ణదేవరాయలు కాలంలొ చాలమంది తెలుగువాళ్ళు administration లో చేరారు. ఊదాహరణకి, వెలనాటి బ్రాహ్మణులను (2000 కుటుంబాలను) క్రిష్ణదేవరాయలు హంపి కి తీసుకెళ్ళాడని వ్రాశారు. క్రిష్ణదేవరాయలు కాలంలొ గానీ, రఘునాధ రాయలు కాలం లొ గానీ, మధుర నాయకుల కాలంలొ గానీ, తెలుగు కి వున్న ప్రసిద్ధి అరవం కి లేదు ఆ రాజుల కోర్టులలో. శరభొజి మరాటీ వాడైనా, భరతనాట్యం ఆయన కాలం లో వ్రుద్ధి లోకి తెచ్చింది ఇద్దరు తెలుగువాళ్ళు (చిన్నయ్య, పొన్నయ్య). రఘునాధుడు కాలంలోగూడా తెలుగుకే ప్రసిద్ధి - కర్నాటక్ సంగీతం లో హేమాహేమీలు తెలుగువాళ్ళు; తెలుగు భాషకిచ్చిన గౌరవం ఇతర భాషలకివ్వలేదు. ఈమధ్య పెరియారు సిష్యులు డిక్ హెడ్సు చరిత్ర ని మార్చేయటం మొదలుపెట్టారు.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 7611
Join date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:00 am

So much verbiage for ' I love Bollywood dance, I don't like BN'.

ashaNirasha

Posts : 362
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:54 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
Try the following BN-based dance / song, 




lol.. this is how the NIs have been taken for a ride all along. We see and appreciate dance numbers like this and are ensured or expected to believe how the real BN is the real deal and much better. Even on this board you often hear snide remarks like, 'is Bollywood dancing real dance?'. And it makes you want to check out BN or BN like dances if you come across them. But what a let down. Seeing the movies we thought hmm, all these actresses can emote so well coz, must be BN training, as the 'natya' part is supposed to be big in BN. What a letdown. Most of the amateur (and many professional) items out there don't look like a nritya nor a natya. A couple of videos I saw a few months ago, the only expression the dancer had on her face was, 'how do I stop panting'. And then it finally dawns on you that while all these people have been dissing Bollywood all this time, probably Bollywood has done the biggest service to this art form by keeping simplified versions of it in their movies. Unfortunately though, that is the most enjoyable version of it left for most part.

People who keep bringing up bollywood every time I want to talk about BN (at least initially), I wonder if they would be doing the same if some SI was posting the same thoguhts. What, being an Indian is not enough to want to talk about an Indian dance? If I am a northindian who likes Bollywood movies, I am not qualified to talk on this?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:33 am

Kathak dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wXJWaqFbQc

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 7611
Join date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:51 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Kathak dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wXJWaqFbQc


saw parts of it. beautiful! will see more at home.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:04 pm







were the nayaka kings telugu?

కొంతమంది తెలుగు వాళ్ళు కొంతమంది కన్నడ వాళ్ళు అని చరిత్ర పుస్తకాల్లొ రాశారు. ఆసలు నాయకులందరూ కాకతీయ దేశం నుంచి వచ్చారని కొంతమంది చరిత్రకారులంటారు. క్రిష్ణదేవరాయలు కాలంలొ చాలమంది తెలుగువాళ్ళు administration లో చేరారు. ఊదాహరణకి, వెలనాటి బ్రాహ్మణులను (2000 కుటుంబాలను) క్రిష్ణదేవరాయలు హంపి కి తీసుకెళ్ళాడని వ్రాశారు. క్రిష్ణదేవరాయలు కాలంలొ గానీ, రఘునాధ రాయలు కాలం లొ గానీ, మధుర నాయకుల కాలంలొ గానీ, తెలుగు కి వున్న ప్రసిద్ధి అరవం కి లేదు ఆ రాజుల కోర్టులలో. శరభొజి మరాటీ వాడైనా, భరతనాట్యం ఆయన కాలం లో వ్రుద్ధి లోకి తెచ్చింది ఇద్దరు తెలుగువాళ్ళు (చిన్నయ్య, పొన్నయ్య). రఘునాధుడు కాలంలోగూడా తెలుగుకే ప్రసిద్ధి - కర్నాటక్ సంగీతం లో హేమాహేమీలు తెలుగువాళ్ళు; తెలుగు భాషకిచ్చిన గౌరవం ఇతర భాషలకివ్వలేదు. ఈమధ్య పెరియారు సిష్యులు డిక్ హెడ్సు చరిత్ర ని మార్చేయటం మొదలుపెట్టారు.
Telugu baavundi, edaina text book lonchi cut and paste chesaremo anukunna, until I got to the last sentence, with your signature DK heads. Actually, DK headsu. Haha!


Last edited by ashaNirasha on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sp)

ashaNirasha

Posts : 362
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Thanks for the posts, VAkavaka garu.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Appalamma Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:08 pm

Art combines psycology, history and mathematics. If it doesn't combine them, it is not a form of art. Appreciating art requires interest in the above things. That is why arts all over the world have few patrons.

Appalamma

Posts : 108
Join date : 2014-03-25

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:29 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Kathak dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wXJWaqFbQc


saw parts of it. beautiful! will see more at home.
VP, beautiful Kathak dance. Thanks for posting the link. 

BK, agree with you -- Bollywood movies have added a lot of pizzazz to the BN dance / music. Here is another BN-based music routine (with English subtitles), from the movie "Parasmani", 

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 6575
Join date : 2012-11-29

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:49 pm

SUloCHana wrote:Art combines psycology, history and mathematics. If it doesn't combine them, it is not a form of art. Appreciating art requires interest in the above things. That is why arts all over the world have few patrons.
Yeah...not one word of appreciation from the great tamil art lovers for any of the beautiful Kuchipudi dance videos that were posted here in the past few years. Says a lot about their taste in and appreciation of art.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by bw Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
Try the following BN-based dance / song, 



BN based? seems like typical bollywood tripe.

keech keech mami squealing and jil-jil ranis dancing - ugh!

bw

Posts : 2922
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Kris Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:41 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
>>>How do you know they don't, I mean with each other?

Kris

Posts : 5460
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:06 am

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
>>>How do you know they don't, I mean with each other?
OMG!! LOL! Krissuu........Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:15 am

bw wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
Try the following BN-based dance / song, 


qRp7s5PuwL4

BN based? seems like typical bollywood tripe.

keech keech mami squealing and jil-jil ranis dancing - ugh!

Wah! So you think anything exciting in the song-dance routine makes it un-BN ?  Try the following ("Saqia aaj mujhe neend nahin aayegi"), from the movie 'Sahib, Bibi aur Ghulam'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHtcYWDhfc

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 6575
Join date : 2012-11-29

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by swapna Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:47 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
Try the following BN-based dance / song, 



I am completely puzzled; I don't see any semblance of the dance in the video to barathanattiyam.

swapna

Posts : 1951
Join date : 2013-11-27

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:05 pm

swapna wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
Try the following BN-based dance / song, 



I am completely puzzled; I don't see any semblance of the dance in the video to barathanattiyam.
So, is it kathak, then?  :-)

When Al Beruni came to India, apparently, he felt that the average Indian was unaware of the real accomplishments of his predecessors but was giving boastful explanations without dwelling into the subject itself. So, Sikularism was already quite fukular during his time.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Posts : 7611
Join date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:23 pm

swapna wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
Try the following BN-based dance / song, 



I am completely puzzled; I don't see any semblance of the dance in the video to barathanattiyam.
what is your idea / standard of barathanattiyam, before looking for semblance in the video to barathanattiyam?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 6575
Join date : 2012-11-29

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by bw Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Wah! So you think anything exciting in the song-dance routine makes it un-BN ?  Try the following ("Saqia aaj mujhe neend nahin aayegi"), from the movie 'Sahib, Bibi aur Ghulam'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHtcYWDhfc



i don't have the time now to watch the full video but the few minutes i watched seem to suggest this is yet another typical bollywood dance routine where the woman (1) sits and contorts her body in many ways (2) get ups and swirls round and round (it makes me dizzy) and (3) every now and then, darts across the room at full speed. of course, a bunch of other people do something idiotic around her.

i don't know what this is based on. BN? not!

bw

Posts : 2922
Join date : 2012-11-15

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:31 am

bw wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Wah! So you think anything exciting in the song-dance routine makes it un-BN ?  Try the following ("Saqia aaj mujhe neend nahin aayegi"), from the movie 'Sahib, Bibi aur Ghulam'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHtcYWDhfc



i don't have the time now to watch the full video but the few minutes i watched seem to suggest this is yet another typical bollywood dance routine where the woman (1) sits and contorts her body in many ways (2) get ups and swirls round and round (it makes me dizzy) and (3) every now and then, darts across the room at full speed. of course, a bunch of other people do something idiotic around her.

i don't know what this is based on. BN? not!

What do you think BN is?
And don't answer with "the above is not BN, or not based on BN".
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 6575
Join date : 2012-11-29

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by swapna Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:02 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
Try the following BN-based dance / song, 



why do you say that the dance/song in the video is based on bn?

swapna

Posts : 1951
Join date : 2013-11-27

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:12 am

swapna wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:how do they all (the dancers and the musicians) keep themselves from sleeping while performing?
Try the following BN-based dance / song, 



why do you say that the dance/song in the video is based on bn?
can you or anyone else really say, along with evidence / proof, that it has no relation to BN?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 6575
Join date : 2012-11-29

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Guest Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:26 am

That vyanjantimala song is not BN-based? dang it. ok, I have tried hard to like BN. But looks like whenever I like something BNish, it's either kuchipudi, or not BN-like. And when I try to watch real BN, I come across ill-prepared junk-laden aunties who should really think 10 times before going on stage and wasting everyone's time and money, snacks or no snacks.

It's been a while since I have seen that vyajantimala song, will do tonight. From the context that I remember, the woman is there with a secret and wants to save people but is trapped or feels trapped or something like that. The running around is probably to represent a caged bird or animal or anyone, or just to display dilemma perhaps, and trying to escape. The other dancers, if I remember, were mostly closing in on her, thus reminding her of her cage-fullness and that she can't escape.

Darting across the room. hmm, I have seen a step like that in BN. In that one, dunno if the dancer was trying to imitate a peacock or a dove or a deer or god-knows-what, it was the most sorry step of the whole sequence.

For the record, not gonna pursue BN and try to like it any more. I think I have heard enough ToonToon for the rest of my life. I know no one cares, but I like to share my feelings anyway. Kathak, hmm. Maybe.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

a question on bharat natyam... Empty Re: a question on bharat natyam...

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum