Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

indian affluence

+2
confuzzled dude
pravalika nanda
6 posters

Go down

indian affluence Empty indian affluence

Post by pravalika nanda Sun May 17, 2015 9:43 am

what I've noticed is that at least 25 to 30% of indina teens now play golf regularly. golf is a very boring sad game that young white men take up to make conversation with wealthy older white men, nothing more than that. the purpose of golf is really only that: to make conversation.

why do indian teens need to take this up, i don't know, it baffles me. indinas are such suckers.

in addn, i was talking to a colleague of telugu-origin and i was telling him that once you make 100-150 annually, everything else is just the cherry on top, and i that i wouldn't need more than that much to be happy with. and he said, "no, of course not, to live a decent life you will need at least 250k." really, 250k is 4x what he average ameircan pay is. why do people feel like they need so much money?

of ocurse more money is always nice, and it is important to work hard and be entrepreneurial but golf? golf should be banned in the summer and spring. let them play golf in the winter.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

indian affluence Empty Re: indian affluence

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 17, 2015 11:50 am

pravalika nanda wrote:what I've noticed is that at least 25 to 30% of indina teens now play golf regularly. golf is a very boring sad game that young white men take up to make conversation with wealthy older white men, nothing more than that. the purpose of golf is really only that: to make conversation.

why do indian teens need to take this up, i don't know, it baffles me. indinas are such suckers.

in addn, i was talking to a colleague of telugu-origin and i was telling him that once you make 100-150 annually, everything else is just the cherry on top, and i that i wouldn't need more than that much to be happy with. and he said, "no, of course not, to live a decent life you will need at least 250k." really, 250k is 4x what he average ameircan pay is. why do people feel like they need so much money?

of ocurse more money is always nice, and it is important to work hard and be entrepreneurial but golf? golf should be banned in the summer and spring. let them play golf in the winter.
You mean Indians living in America? I know a child of my acquaintance, got full golf scholarship.  BTW, 250k won't be enough for those with aspirations of sending their kids to med schools or Ivy league schools

Last edited by confuzzled dude on Sun May 17, 2015 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 17, 2015 11:50 am

pravalika nanda wrote:what I've noticed is that at least 25 to 30% of indina teens now play golf regularly. golf is a very boring sad game that young white men take up to make conversation with wealthy older white men, nothing more than that. the purpose of golf is really only that: to make conversation.

>>>As the old adage goes, there is no such thing as being too thin or too rich. On golf, it is an excuse to get out of the house and out of the office. The Indian teens are just planning ahead:)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 17, 2015 11:53 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

You mean Indians living in America? BTW, 250k won't be enough for those with aspirations of sending their kids to med schools or Ivy league schools
>>or qualify for a mortgage in certain school districts Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Appalamma Sun May 17, 2015 11:59 am

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

You mean Indians living in America? BTW, 250k won't be enough for those with aspirations of sending their kids to med schools or Ivy league schools
>>or qualify for a mortgage in certain school districts Smile
Or afford rent in a place like Bay Area. Wink

Appalamma

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 17, 2015 12:04 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

You mean Indians living in America? I know a child of my acquaintance, got full golf scholarship.  BTW, 250k won't be enough for those with aspirations of sending their kids to med schools or Ivy league schools

Not if you live in Fargo or Bismarc. And, BTW, if you make less than 140 K - say in Bismarc, you can live like a KING and send your kids to IVY leagues almost free. And, 140 K in Fargo will go far as it is equal to 400 K in Worcester, MA.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Not if you live in Fargo or Bismarc.  And, BTW, if you make less than 140 K - say in Bismarc, you can live like a KING and send your kids to IVY leagues almost free.  And, 140 K in Fargo will go far as it is equal to 400 K in Worcester, MA.
>>Yes, but many of us get homesick easily in foreign cultures. That rules out any place more than 30 miles Gandhi nagar (I mean Sunnyvale).

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Kris wrote:

Not if you live in Fargo or Bismarc.  And, BTW, if you make less than 140 K - say in Bismarc, you can live like a KING and send your kids to IVY leagues almost free.  And, 140 K in Fargo will go far as it is equal to 400 K in Worcester, MA.
>>Yes, but many of us get homesick easily in foreign cultures. That rules out any place more than 30 miles Gandhi nagar (I mean Sunnyvale).

Imagine yourself as an IAS officer posted to the Mizoram Cadre and destined to live out your life there....Razz

It is not bad at all... bcz there are desis in every town in US and as my established theory goes you can only be close to some 10 to 12 families - no matter where you live: Gandhi Nagara or Samathuva Nagar.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun May 17, 2015 1:12 pm

>>Yes, but many of us get homesick easily in foreign cultures. That rules out any place more than 30 miles Gandhi nagar (I mean Sunnyvale)
----
Here we have Gandhi Memorial Plaza/Park. Desis everywhere...  There are some new communities where almost 75% to 90% of the new homes sold out to Desis (costs around 400k to1m) . If you drive by you could get the aroma of Indian food/kids playing street (only desi kids), old mamas/mamis in veshtis/sarees meeting at the residential community parks/playgrounds.. reminds the words of Bharathiyar 'Enegengu Kaninum Desiyada' (Bharathi wrote Sakthiyada) Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun May 17, 2015 3:02 pm

what are your thought on indian kids playing this so-called sport - golf?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun May 17, 2015 3:03 pm

thoughts

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Appalamma Sun May 17, 2015 4:43 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:what are your thought on indian kids playing this so-called sport - golf?

If you are talking about Indian kids here, Indians are the most affluent community here in the US. They do what rich folks do. I have a few in my family who are into golf big time.

Appalamma

Back to top Go down

Post by Appalamma Sun May 17, 2015 6:06 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I've always hated to live in South Bay. Now I ended up renting a room in Santa Clara now. But I don't spend any time there. That makes it an easy decision. I think Sunnyvale & Santa Clara are the worst places in Bay Area to live. The only good thing there is Indian food.

Appalamma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down