Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dotage

+4
FluteHolder
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Merlot Daruwala
MaxEntropy_Man
8 posters

Go down

dotage Empty dotage

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:28 pm

does strange things to people!

http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/vaishnavite-philosophersaint-ramanuja-broke-caste-barriers-says-karunanidhi/article7068531.ece/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

dotage Empty Re: dotage

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:31 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:does strange things to people!

http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/vaishnavite-philosophersaint-ramanuja-broke-caste-barriers-says-karunanidhi/article7068531.ece/

Why is it strange? This was my understanding of Ramanujacharya's movement too (admittedly gleaned solely from Amar Chitra Katha, and from jokes about Iyengars).
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:16 am

That is true...and one of the results of his movement was the conversion of lower caste people to Vaishnavism. These people came to be clubbed as Thenkalai Iyengar. The Vadakalai Iyengars think they are direct descendants of the Naarthie Brahmins and converted from Vadama Iyers. This movement led to Iyers to convert some lower castes to Iyerism who came ot be known as Thenma. This internecine warfare between these vadama/thenma can be a source of irritation if a DIL happens to come from Thenma-Thenkalai.

And, MK should know all this better as many in his family conquered Brahmin women as trophies (MK, Stalin, Stalin's son, Alagiri's son and others.)

Spoken by an authentic GoundarIyengar (Hey...gives me an idea for starting a new sect and an ashram).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:20 am

One of the comments on his previous bday from net:

Saagum pothu mattum sankara sankara nu vaai alavil mattum sonna seitha pavamellam kazhindidumo!!! 

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:32 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Why is it strange? This was my understanding of Ramanujacharya's movement too (admittedly gleaned solely from Amar Chitra Katha, and from jokes about Iyengars).

the strangeness arises from the idea that MK, a leading cult figure in the DK/self-respect movement, avowed atheist, and slayer of all things brahminism is writing a script for a hagiographical movie about one of the central figures in the thamizh brahmin religious ethos.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:55 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

the strangeness arises from the idea that MK, a leading cult figure in the DK/self-respect movement, avowed atheist, and slayer of all things brahminism is writing a script for a hagiographical movie about one of the central figures in the thamizh brahmin religious ethos.

not really..he was always a phony; it's just business;
he slept routinely with prostitutes, never paid them and shoved them away with threats of calling the police; an hour later, in public meetings he would roar that there is so much injustice for women and that all females are to be treated as sisters and mothers, and with great respect. - from kannadAsan's 'vanavAsam', if I remember it right.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:51 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

That is true...and one of the results of his movement was the conversion of lower caste people to Vaishnavism. These people came to be clubbed as Thenkalai Iyengar. The Vadakalai Iyengars think they are direct descendants of the Naarthie Brahmins and converted from Vadama Iyers. This movement led to Iyers to convert some lower castes to Iyerism who came ot be known as Thenma. This internecine warfare between these vadama/thenma can be a source of irritation if a DIL happens to come from Thenma-Thenkalai.

And, MK should know all this better as many in his family conquered Brahmin women as trophies (MK, Stalin, Stalin's son, Alagiri's son and others.)

Spoken by an authentic GoundarIyengar (Hey...gives me an idea for starting a new sect and an ashram).
>>>I didn't know about this 'thenma' business. Even in vadamas, i have heard my grandmother refer to vadadesam etc. There is a southern counterpart to this 'chola desam(?)' which also may refer to people from the erstwhile chola area. With this level of sub-casteism, it is a wonder how people found anyone to marry altogether and procreate.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:55 am

Kris wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

>>>I didn't know about this 'thenma' business. Even in vadamas, i have heard my grandmother refer to vadadesam etc. There is a southern counterpart to this 'chola desam(?)' which also may refer to people from the erstwhile chola area. With this level of sub-casteism, it is a wonder how people found anyone to marry altogether and procreate.
Probably the same way the Nazranis did.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:02 am

FluteHolder wrote:One of the comments on his previous bday from net:

Saagum pothu mattum sankara sankara nu vaai alavil mattum sonna seitha pavamellam kazhindidumo!!! 

this paavam punniyam terminology and concept, is this before christianity and such or later inserted?

i mean any old hindu literature before christ refers to pAvam punyam?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:36 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

not really..he was always a phony; it's just business;
he slept routinely with prostitutes, never paid them and shoved them away with threats of calling the police;  an hour later, in public meetings he would roar that there is so much injustice for women and that all females are to be treated as sisters and mothers, and with great respect. - from kannadAsan's 'vanavAsam', if I remember it right.
LOL.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:59 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:One of the comments on his previous bday from net:

this paavam punniyam terminology and concept, is this before christianity and such or later inserted?

i mean any old hindu literature before christ refers to pAvam punyam?
I guess this idea existed much before though in terms of cause and effect not necessarily pavam/punyam. 

There are quite a lot 'dhadhiwalla videos' available on this topic Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum