Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

europeans' language bigotry

5 posters

Go down

europeans' language bigotry Empty europeans' language bigotry

Post by swapna Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:51 am

they are "irritated" by various languages! for no apparent reason! read this thread at e.j.m.r. (economics job market rumors):

http://www.econjobrumors.com/topic/what-are-the-languages-sounding-the-most-irritating-to-your-ear

why do I say "european?" because ejmr, from what I've seen, is international in a restricted way, including only a small percent of chinese, indian, and african peepals.

the irritation is most intense towards the chinese language(s). if I were of chinese origin, I'd find that flattering, because it probably means that the caucasians are envious of the relentless rise in standard of living and worldwide influence of the chinese peepals. 

disappointingly, there is no such irritation with any indian language.

swapna

Back to top Go down

europeans' language bigotry Empty Re: europeans' language bigotry

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:22 am

I don't think the irritation felt by Europeans due to the use of foreign languages by foreigners in front of them is because of jealousy, bigotry or other peoples' improving economies etc. It's more of their not being used to hearing them in the past, and now they are getting exposed suddenly (due to increased tourism etc.). As for the Indian languages being less irritating to the Europeans, less than Chinese and Arabic, that's because Europeans are already exposed greatly to the Indian languages -- because of colonial rule in India and large number of Indians and Europeans moving (also settling etc.) betwee Europe and India.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:00 am

i am not sure whether you can lump the Brits into this, but when they speak it's just neurotic and hysterical, particularly with the women - as inferred from those pre-1980 movies.

IMO, the most pleasant to hear are the japanese and the french- only when spoken by women though Smile I think it's to with the percentage of staccato in them

>disappointingly, there is no such irritation with any indian language.
not clear why one is disappointed- perhaps because of the EJMR context.

Nevertheless, those indian languages that are non-staccatoic are relatively more pleasant to the ears - you know the ones that I am talking about; yes,  those that round off most words Smile

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:44 am

not sure it has anything to do with their new prosperity. i find certain accents more irritating than others too. I hate cockney, the brooklyn, and the boston accent. the southern accent is more tolerable. i don't have a problem at all with the chinese accent.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:56 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:not sure it has anything to do with their new prosperity.  i find certain accents more irritating than others too.  I hate cockney, the brooklyn, and the boston accent. the southern accent is more tolerable.  i don't have a problem at all with the chinese accent.

I love brooklynese. Often people get confused if I am from Jamaica or hispanic (they cannot not imagine a desi talking Brooklynese)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:not sure it has anything to do with their new prosperity.  i find certain accents more irritating than others too.  I hate cockney, the brooklyn, and the boston accent. the southern accent is more tolerable.  i don't have a problem at all with the chinese accent.

I love brooklynese. Often people get confused if I am from Jamaica or hispanic (they cannot not imagine a desi talking Brooklynese)

sAmiyAr - how did that happen?

the southern and the chinese - IMO, both are continuous, wavy, and words not bursted in pulses.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:45 pm

I like Minnesotan very much. Watch the movie Fargo.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:51 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

the southern and the chinese - IMO, both are continuous, wavy, and words not bursted in pulses.

All I can say is Allah came in my dream and revealed Brooklynese to me.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:55 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I like Minnesotan very much. Watch the movie Fargo.

thanks; I suspect I have, already, but then, seems like I missed out on this aspect- strange, if it's so conspicuous...hmm..getting old I guess Sad

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:22 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

All I can say is Allah came in my dream and revealed Brooklynese to me.

ah....you are an allAdhAsan, now? - like kaaLidhAsan

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:29 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

thanks; I suspect I have, already, but then, seems like I missed out on this aspect- strange, if it's so conspicuous...hmm..getting old I guess Sad

https://youtu.be/Lt5GsfNcDzA

https://youtu.be/kPHbIyDTPHU
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

https://youtu.be/Lt5GsfNcDzA

https://youtu.be/kPHbIyDTPHU

thanks again for making it easy, max.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down