Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SG: Stop Digging Into The Past

4 posters

Go down

SG: Stop Digging Into The Past Empty SG: Stop Digging Into The Past

Post by FluteHolder Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:44 pm

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

SG: Stop Digging Into The Past Empty Re: SG: Stop Digging Into The Past

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:34 am

I did not see the video. But, I hear this so often....and I disagree.

When you are in an interview, your past is analyzed.

In your annual review, your past 1 year work is analyzed

When searching for a bride or groom, the past is searched

Even for a job, a background check is done on your past.

When you apply for a loan, your past credit history is investigated

So tell me... an instance where past is not analyzed while moving forward.

That statement is full of BS.

Life is a continuous curve and one's past is an indicator of today's credibility which points to future ability.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:50 am

His statement is on/for a different context.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:13 am

Life is a continuous curve and one's past is an indicator of today's credibility which points to future ability.
>>>We are really screwed.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:23 am

Kris wrote:

>>>We are really screwed.

seriously...think about it. When we like to guess tomorrow, we look at how things are today and also how things were yesterday.

Don't we look at stocks and the market in the past ALL THE time to predict their direction and their future performance ? I can say that practically we look into the past to predict the future in everything.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:31 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Don't we look at stocks and the market in the past ALL THE time to predict their direction and their future performance ? I can say that practically we look into the past to predict the future in everything.
NO. I can say that with some authority or experience (but not in stocks though). IMHO You can never predict future price levels/moves, you can only take calculative guesses with risk control Smile. Like the disclaimers in fund mgmt companies,  "past performance is not a guarantee of future results"

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:54 am

Except for Modiji, right? You love him to death though he was responsible for deaths of thousands in his past

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:33 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Except for Modiji, right? You love him to death though he was responsible for deaths of thousands in his past

Yes... just like the white-skin lover in you wants the country to be ruled by the same family that was responsible for the killing of 3500 brown Indian Sikhs and 5000 deaths in Assam and another 10,000 deaths in Assam in early 1980s. Not to mention 1000s of tamilian deaths in the Tamil movement in the mid 60s (ask KV).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:27 am

>>> The people one meets for interviews and marriage are mutually exclusive subsets. At least, they have been in my case. Smile

On  a serious note, life experiences shape our personalities. For instance, having to fend for ourselves leads to being more focused, more pragmatic and maybe even more conservative in some ways. When your life does not have many ups and downs, chances are you won't change much. This is why the past being an indication of the future doesn't always work. On a related note, here is a 'what if' game that I play sometimes which gives me perspective: 'What if I had never left India?' I honestly think I would have been a fundamentally different person, in some ways good and in some ways, not so good. I would have not know my own capabilities and expanded as a person (not literally, although that may be true too:). On the other hand, I would have been less cynical about humanity. On this, I am starting to back down a bit now and even find myself telling my sons that they need to see the goodness in people.

P.S. The above narrative is about T-Dubbish I can get, without doing a Caitlyn Jenner, and I am feeling exhausted. Thanks for listening.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:37 am

Kris wrote:>>> The people one meets for interviews and marriage are mutually exclusive subsets. At least, they have been in my case. Smile

On  a serious note, life experiences shape our personalities. For instance, having to fend for ourselves leads to being more focused, more pragmatic and maybe even more conservative in some ways. When your life does not have many ups and downs, chances are you won't change much. This is why the past being an indication of the future doesn't always work. On a related note, here is a 'what if' game that I play sometimes which gives me perspective: 'What if I had never left India?' I honestly think I would have been a fundamentally different person, in some ways good and in some ways, not so good. I would have not know my own capabilities and expanded as a person (not literally, although that may be true too:). On the other hand, I would have been less cynical about humanity. On this, I am starting to back down a bit now and even find myself telling my sons that they need to see the goodness in people.

P.S. The above narrative is about T-Dubbish I can get, without doing a Caitlyn Jenner, and I am feeling exhausted. Thanks for listening.

One cannot take future actions based everything on the past - that will be a repeat action. What I am saying the "mind" does scavenge one's past on any plans and does take into account in formulating future plans and actions. If it did not then one has not learnt anything, and if one repeats exactly what was done in the past then there is nothing new in the action.

This is as close as I am coming to SG-ish.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:58 am

Kris wrote:>>> The people one meets for interviews and marriage are mutually exclusive subsets. At least, they have been in my case. Smile

lol, i had written something with a lot of blabber, and deleted it coz it got too all-over-the-place.

what if i had never left india? plus side: I truly believe i would have had the most fantastitical marriage, people around would have kept both of us within traditional bounds. negative side: am pretty sure i would have still continued with bookish knowledge of everything.

(just did a ctrl-v and found most of my post. i do a lot of ctrl-c in case I lose my browser session, here it is, had to re-type some of it)
-----
(didn't see the video myself).

I agree with what you said... however, as I get older, I also find it increasingly hard to stick to the definite rule of anything. I see fluidity in pretty mcuh everything. To me, it's all about timing, mindset at the time, and people's personalities involved. Maybe it's just me who is like that. I do applaud people who can consistently stick to a fixed thought and ideals at all the times, coz I can't be the same.

...blabber....

...but if your past doesn't make you humble, nothing else can. People may change, people may never change. What's important is how you feel when you meet them first time for interview/raise/marriage/etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down