Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Barbaric side of Hinduism: Temple Idol is purified after woman performs pooja, shops in vicinity shut down till purification ceremony is over

2 posters

Go down

The Barbaric side of Hinduism: Temple Idol is purified after woman performs pooja, shops in vicinity shut down till purification ceremony is over Empty The Barbaric side of Hinduism: Temple Idol is purified after woman performs pooja, shops in vicinity shut down till purification ceremony is over

Post by Guest Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:59 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/maharashtra-shani-temple-purifies-idol-after-woman-offers-puja/article7930551.ece

A Lord Shani temple in Ahmadnagar district of Maharashtra performed a ‘purification puja’ on Sunday after a young woman offered worship to the idol placed on a platform from where women are traditionally barred.

Authorities at the Shani Shingnapur temple also suspended seven workers for “negligence” while one trustee resigned taking moral responsibility.

The incident took place on Saturday afternoon when the woman, whose identity is unknown, caught security personnel unawares and climbed the platform to perform puja. According to the temple authorities, it all happened within 30 seconds. A few devotees confronted her after the incident but eventually let her go.

“Women have been barred from climbing the platform for hundreds of years. This act was against the rituals that have been going on for years,” said Sayaram Bankar, a temple trustee, justifying the purification ceremony.

Priests bathed the idol with oil and milk, while all shops in the vicinity remained closed till the ceremony was over.

Mr. Bankar said the woman was let off unharmed. “We do not know who she is. She was confronted and let go. She was not attacked or abused,” he said. Mr. Bankar will resign on Monday, bowing to demands from the Ahmadnagar gramsabha.

Back to top Go down

The Barbaric side of Hinduism: Temple Idol is purified after woman performs pooja, shops in vicinity shut down till purification ceremony is over Empty Re: The Barbaric side of Hinduism: Temple Idol is purified after woman performs pooja, shops in vicinity shut down till purification ceremony is over

Post by ashdoc Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:20 pm

now you can escape the accusation of posting anti hindu tirades on this forum . 

since the woman was not harmed or even abused , it cannot be called barbaric . you are exaggerating  here . you could have called it the wrong side of hinduism but you choose the word barbaric .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

The Barbaric side of Hinduism: Temple Idol is purified after woman performs pooja, shops in vicinity shut down till purification ceremony is over Empty Re: The Barbaric side of Hinduism: Temple Idol is purified after woman performs pooja, shops in vicinity shut down till purification ceremony is over

Post by Guest Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

ashdoc wrote:now you can escape the accusation of posting anti hindu tirades on this forum . 

since the woman was not harmed or even abused , it cannot be called barbaric . you are exaggerating  here . you could have called it the wrong side of hinduism but you choose the word barbaric .

the fact that men can perform pooja to the idol but not women is a barbaric practice in my opinion. It may be a centuries old tradition but it needs to be abolished. Even the temple authorities are admitting that the woman was "confronted". Who knows what all they said or did to her during the "confrontation".

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:25 pm

at most what you posted can be considered socially backward. what's barbaric is the tongue hanging out, head on a stick pictures of Kali you frequently post here.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:at most what you posted can be considered socially backward. what's barbaric is the tongue hanging out, head on a stick pictures of Kali you frequently post here.

I consider the image of Kali to be metaphorical signifying the victory over demons and demonic forces. The image has also resulted in some great sanskrit poetry; note that the exquisite sanskrit poetry about Kali does not signify barbarism.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:40 pm

Max do you know about the dance competition between Shiva and Kali at Nataraja Temple, Chidambaram?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:00 pm

whatever the metaphorical underpinnings of the kali story are, the images you frequently post are crude, ugly, and without aesthetic merit. the kali iconography you have posted here is my least favorite of all hindu art. it is indeed barbaric.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:whatever the metaphorical underpinnings of the kali story are, the images you frequently post are crude, ugly, and without aesthetic merit. the kali iconography you have posted here is my least favorite of all hindu art. it is indeed barbaric.

Time magazine seems to disagree with you:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/34/22/cf/3422cf6957066a467d4d18f4f61942d0.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:30 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:whatever the metaphorical underpinnings of the kali story are, the images you frequently post are crude, ugly, and without aesthetic merit. the kali iconography you have posted here is my least favorite of all hindu art. it is indeed barbaric.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/34/22/cf/3422cf6957066a467d4d18f4f61942d0.jpg

i don't much rely on external validation of my artistic sensibilities.  my artistic sensibilities whether it's fine art or performing art are my own. i trust myself sufficiently that i require no external validation, and am able to make judgments on my own.

one more thing -- i don't know what the time cover story is about, but just putting something on the cover doesn't mean that the magazine is making a statement about the artistic merit of the picture.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:04 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

i don't much rely on external validation of my artistic sensibilities.  my artistic sensibilities whether it's fine art or performing art are my own. i trust myself sufficiently that i require no external validation, and am able to make judgments on my own.

one more thing -- i don't know what the time cover story is about, but just putting something on the cover doesn't mean that the magazine is making a statement about the artistic merit of the picture.  

You are welcome to have confidence in your aesthetic and artistic judgement but in matters of aesthetic taste it is possible that you might change your views and opinions when exposed to other expert opinion.

-----

The Barbaric side of Hinduism: Temple Idol is purified after woman performs pooja, shops in vicinity shut down till purification ceremony is over 11224382_10153729752194206_7178507250317300463_n

Kali is the personification of time and death. Maha Kali is the fiercest form of Maa Durga representing the destroyer of evil and Darkness.

https://www.facebook.com/AndroidJonesart/posts/10153729752194206

----
Goddess Kali took over New York City last week, quite literally and it's breathtaking! The Hindu goddess was displayed on the facade of the building that is synonymous with New York, the iconic Empire State building.Artist Android Jones designed the fierce portrait of Kali, who is the Goddess of Time, Change, Power and Destruction, to make the point that Mother Nature now more than ever needs a fierce avatar to fight the dangers of pollution and extinction.

http://www.firstpost.com/world/goddess-kali-showcased-empire-state-building-nyc-heres-2385298.html

----
The Barbaric side of Hinduism: Temple Idol is purified after woman performs pooja, shops in vicinity shut down till purification ceremony is over 363916-android-jones-maa-kali-fb_1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down