Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Delhi Airport Who designs that stuff??

+6
Merlot Daruwala
The Absolute Zero
chameli
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Propagandhi711
Mosquito
10 posters

Go down

Delhi Airport Who designs that stuff?? Empty Delhi Airport Who designs that stuff??

Post by Mosquito Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:58 am

They dont have a bathroom at the visitors lounge. People who are in the lounge have to go 2 floors down by telling security guard and showing a ticket. Why do they forget to give such basic facility?
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Delhi Airport Who designs that stuff?? Empty Re: Delhi Airport Who designs that stuff??

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:24 am

I shall talk with the authorities at the highest level to convey a) your varied displeasures with airport design and b)your specific enquiry into who in particular was responsible for the dastardly design and will get back to you with an action plan to remedy the situation pronto.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Delhi Airport Who designs that stuff?? Empty Re: Delhi Airport Who designs that stuff??

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:40 am

PseudoIntellectual wrote:They dont have a bathroom at the visitors lounge. People who are in the lounge have to go 2 floors down by telling security guard and showing a ticket. Why do they forget to give such basic facility?

You are way too americanized...lady... expecting a bathroom at every corner ?

In case you have forgotten - bathroom, peeing/ dumping, workers related to any of those areas are not part of development in anyone's list.

Besides, who asked you to drink water and coffee...you should have thought of the after effects.

What is the biggest terror threat in India? Having a diarrhea while traveling - at least for me.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:11 pm

I agree with you the visitor's lounge should be equipped with a bathroom..was the one two floors up at least clean ?

In India I restrict my water and food intake for the very same reason ..

would advise it as weight reducing maneuver for fatties

a trip to India
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:34 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:They dont have a bathroom at the visitors lounge. People who are in the lounge have to go 2 floors down by telling security guard and showing a ticket. Why do they forget to give such basic facility?

Many moons ago this happened between me and my friend. He said "In USA and other countries people work to make your life easier. In the exams they ask what you can answer and try to pass. In India they make it difficult for everyone." This is evident in oral exams, written exams, designs and you can add everything else. Your bathroom episode is just one example. You go out and tell anyone, for example that you hold a Ph.D in communications. People start asking questions immediately, what do you call "radio waves," "TV Waves" and so on. If you admit you do not know you are a fool. Nobody cares to know what communications you had your degree or anything else. You mentioned communications, it MUST have radio waves, TV waves, and Shannon methods/rules/noise etc. Talking about making stuff difficult, think about the income tax forms and guys. Courts and your law cases. My grandfather died and somebody went to court about his property. It was finalized after 22 years. In the mean time 4 of the several witnesses and lien holders died too. Even MullapUDi Venkata Ramana's famous movie "sampoorna ramayanam" was hacked out by one of those co-producers. When MVR demanded why he did not get the money for it, he was told - "I won't. Wanna go to court? Go by all means; by the time verdict comes you *and* I won't be alive." Such a brazen statement.

Now the likes of props will talk about my miserliness and quo vadis Chappals. Please do also listen to them. Props, here is the ball in your court now. Play as you please.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Just wanted to also say this. When I visited last, I was with kid on shoulder, bags in both hands and somehow managed to put passports on counter for the guy to stamp. He looked at them and said "Please open the page and show me to stamp." While I was struggling with two bags and kid to open he was putting hands on waist like a maharaja and waited looking around. I felt what kind of help was that? Did he not see me holding kid and bags? Guys in any other country, even china or Indonesia would have felt some "pity" and would have stamped it in a second. Bombay airport was the case. Less said the better about the airport. All planes come in the same instant and the baggage area is like 150 sq. ft and you keep hitting bag after bag. Even after 30 or 50 years still there is no reliable transportation from Chatrapati Shivaji to Santa Cruz. You are the mercy of taxiwalls and some airport shuttles. They know from your face that you have dollars in your pocket. COme what may they will do everything to get those greenbacks into their pockets.

And India boasts herself of the greatest host. My foot!

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:04 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:Just wanted to also say this. When I visited last, I was with kid on shoulder, bags in both hands and somehow managed to put passports on counter for the guy to stamp. He looked at them and said "Please open the page and show me to stamp." While I was struggling with two bags and kid to open he was putting hands on waist like a maharaja and waited looking around. I felt what kind of help was that? Did he not see me holding kid and bags? Guys in any other country, even china or Indonesia would have felt some "pity" and would have stamped it in a second.
I know what you mean. The US Customs and Border Protection guys at the immigration counters at JFK set a benchmark in courtesy and visitor friendliness. They fall upon themselves to make me feel welcome every time I visit the US. In your situation, I'm sure one of them would have carried your sleeping kid, and another would have carried your bags for you while a third one stamped your passport and took your picture and fingerprints even as you strode through the immigration counters. That, sir, is the difference between the greatest country on earth and that third world dump called India.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
The Absolute Zero wrote:Just wanted to also say this. When I visited last, I was with kid on shoulder, bags in both hands and somehow managed to put passports on counter for the guy to stamp. He looked at them and said "Please open the page and show me to stamp." While I was struggling with two bags and kid to open he was putting hands on waist like a maharaja and waited looking around. I felt what kind of help was that? Did he not see me holding kid and bags? Guys in any other country, even china or Indonesia would have felt some "pity" and would have stamped it in a second.
I know what you mean. The US Customs and Border Protection guys at the immigration counters at JFK set a benchmark in courtesy and visitor friendliness. They fall upon themselves to make me feel welcome every time I visit the US. In your situation, I'm sure one of them would have carried your sleeping kid, and another would have carried your bags for you while a third one stamped your passport and took your picture and fingerprints even as you strode through the immigration counters. That, sir, is the difference between the greatest country on earth and that third world dump called India.

ROFFFFFLLLL...surreal (is he for real) rant from the understudy and incisive commentary by the cynicalan.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:48 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Glad that you are improving your techniques in sarcasm....(still not upto my level - but you will get there one day).

I have heard the best treatment/response from the INS and US customs to this day and even when my GC applications were all messed up royally (by me). OTOH, never had good service from the Indian passport/immigration/Consulate form the day they took 2 yrs to give my passport to the present day mess up they are creating - even the simplest thing. Have seen US immigration treating the student who landed with an expired F1 visa nicely and compassionately in NYC and the Bombay Immigration hassle/ a mom who landed in Bombay due to Family emergency with a 2 month old US born kid without an Indian visa.

Until now, the Indian customs never gave me any hassles EVER - although I hardly took any costly items. Also, in one instant, the Bombay airport security chief - I just barged into his office seeing the plate on the door - listened to my complaint while talking on the phone. He kept the phone down, waved me to follow him, walked me thro' the check in counter, walkie-talkied security to hold the plane, put me on a jeep to the plane somewhere on the tarmac and get on the plane. All this without uttering a single word to me and not waiting for me even to thank him. And it was a family emergency. one of the most humane things that anyone ever did to me. I have a very similar experience with the INS in NYC on a Friday evening at 4.45 with all my documents totally screwed up.

But, overall in India "SERVICE" sucks whole in the US it is definitely better - by several orders of magnitude.

(of course, I can see why you are not treated by the US immigration well - isn't it obvious going by your reputation?)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Indians who come to the US and stay here for a few years have this bad habit ..of comparing the US wih India

heck if they left the warmth of their own country to seek their fortune or whatever isn't it obvious that the U.S. would be a better country for them?

then why the constant comparision ?

They never have to visit India ever I dont think it would matter to India

If they did visit then they should kindly suffer the indiginities that india offers .

Can't have it both ways
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:32 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
I have heard the best treatment/response from the INS and US customs to this day and even when my GC applications were all messed up royally (by me). OTOH, never had good service from the Indian passport/immigration/Consulate form the day they took 2 yrs to give my passport to the present day mess up they are creating - even the simplest thing.

Unkil, your experiences - whether in India or the US - can never be typical. The two societies treat retards very differently. Americans tend to be innately more compassionate, extra protective and accommodative towards the mentally challenged. That sir, is an outcome of fostering a culture of life. Indians on the other hand, burdened with an overabundance of life, look at you and wonder why you were not aborted in the second trimester.

Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:37 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I know what you mean. The US Customs and Border Protection guys at the immigration counters at JFK set a benchmark in courtesy and visitor friendliness. They fall upon themselves to make me feel welcome every time I visit the US. In your situation, I'm sure one of them would have carried your sleeping kid, and another would have carried your bags for you while a third one stamped your passport and took your picture and fingerprints even as you strode through the immigration counters. That, sir, is the difference between the greatest country on earth and that third world dump called India.

Next time try to understand what I said before posting a knee jerk reaction. I did not expect a royal treatment from anyone. All I said was instead of putting hands on waist and look around, he could have opened passports and stamped. He was standing like an authority and saying "Open the correct page and give it to me!" Oh such an impudence from an immigration clerk. Nobody said the same to me anywhere in USA - even when the police checked me in a greyhound bus near texas border. He cannot even open the passport? I am not asking a huge favor. I felt that because my hands were full.

Chameli, This is nothing to do with country or seeking warmth anywhere else. It is to do with mind games. He sits there and thinks "Oh, these guys are from USA, I will show them my authority!" After I got my green card the passport was stamped as such but it expired and I had to get another one. On leaving Bombay customs he demanded to know - Why you must have two passports? Simple common sense would tell you why. I do not have to open two passports and show dates to him. Cannot he even read what's in passport dates? Or is he a SC/ST guy got the job because of reservation or recommendation?

We are talking about common courtesy here, not asking anyone to carry my baggage. Human courtesy. If I were an Australian or American with White skin and white wife, would that customs/immigration guy have behaved the same way? Think about it.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:46 am

chameli wrote:Indians who come to the US and stay here for a few years have this bad habit ..of comparing the US wih India

heck if they left the warmth of their own country to seek their fortune or whatever isn't it obvious that the U.S. would be a better country for them?

then why the constant comparision ?

They never have to visit India ever I dont think it would matter to India

If they did visit then they should kindly suffer the indiginities that india offers .

Can't have it both ways

Do you mean to say that the Indians in India - people, Babus, politicians, Govt - don't compare themselves and India with US and other Western countries.

INDIANS COMPARE - from their shoes and cars to their kids KG and universities in India and elsewhere.

You mean to say YOU dont compare or Maulana Merlot Jehadi compare? Watch when he whines about Desi Radio and Bangalore traffic and expressed relief that he did not have to listen to the Indian Radio when he returns to US.

Of course the Maulana can be forgiven bcz he is a mentally handicapped person compounded by the brainwashing by the fauklar media and his idol Osama. But, how could you fail to see what the Indians in India do ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:00 pm

tell me why did Indians come to the US ?

in search of a beter life correct ?

and they got it correct ?

instead of helping the ones they left behind and their country all i hear is how far behind India is behind US at airports at touristy places how they want our dollars and how determined we are to hang on to them

yet indians go back every year or more often and bitch and go and bitchand go ..again

its a case of having ur cake eating it too and not allowing dogs to come anywhere near it ..

let's be a little magnanimous
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:21 pm

Cham,

You are being a bit too defensive about this. Your mind compares, no matter what. I don't necessarily think it is a case of lording it over the locals. For that matter, when people first come here, they miss the easy interactions with neighbors which is so common in India. I used to notice this even after coming back from my first few visits to India.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Kris,

some body needs to defend India .all of us can't cut her down no ? Smile

of course we miss the neighbourliness of Indians back home . the contrast is so very stark we cant help but mourn over it

in all other ways we curse conditions back home the dirt the smells the money hungry poor Indians

and we become clever by hiding our real identities as NRIs .

many of us even envy them so obviously we are not terribly happy here
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:28 pm

[quote="The Absolute Zero"]
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Chameli, This is nothing to do with country or seeking warmth anywhere else. It is to do with mind games. He sits there and thinks "Oh, these guys are from USA, I will show them my authority!" After I got my green card the passport was stamped as such but it expired and I had to get another one. On leaving Bombay customs he demanded to know - Why you must have two passports? Simple common sense would tell you why. I do not have to open two passports and show dates to him. Cannot he even read what's in passport dates? Or is he a SC/ST guy got the job because of reservation or recommendation?

In the US immigration counters, the officer usually asks which company do you work for and what university you are going to. Can't he read and see the documents (I-20 or I-797). Maybe got the job because of affirmative action or recommendation.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:34 pm

chameli wrote:Kris,

some body needs to defend India .all of us can't cut her down no ? Smile

>>> I am not sure why you see this as cutting down, rather than exasperation of day-to- day irritations that come up. I even complain about customer service lately here. Doesn't mean I am cutting the place down. With India, as the frequency of my trips increased, I simply learned to roll with the punches.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:41 pm

kris ,

when collectively NRIs gripe about India it feels like a cut down

rolling with the punches is a good idea because we cannot make the changes anyways

so let's suffer through it
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:56 pm

absolute ,

it is natural for an ordinary customs officer at a mumbai airport to be envious of richie rich NRIs coming through with 6 and 8 suitcases full of goodies

He is not going to go over board being courteous .we must allow him that and ignore it

He behaves the same way with European tourists... i have seen it

and aren't we a little lenient arriving at New York airports turning a blind eye when spoken to rudely by custom officers there ?

pretending everything is ok ?
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:00 pm

[quote="Ponniyin Selvan"]
The Absolute Zero wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

In the US immigration counters, the officer usually asks which company do you work for and what university you are going to. Can't he read and see the documents (I-20 or I-797). Maybe got the job because of affirmative action or recommendation.

Not the same. Documents may not match your current status.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:22 pm

This thread ran away from the original post. PI's complaint was valid. Are there visitor's lounge's in Indian airports? After security concerns of the past decade, every one seems to drop ticketed passengers at the arrival terminal and say their good byes.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:47 pm

short answer: GMR group.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:05 pm

chameli wrote:tell me why did Indians come to the US ?

in search of a beter life correct ?

and they got it correct ?

instead of helping the ones they left behind and their country all i hear is how far behind India is behind US at airports at touristy places how they want our dollars and how determined we are to hang on to them

yet indians go back every year or more often and bitch and go and bitchand go ..again

its a case of having ur cake eating it too and not allowing dogs to come anywhere near it ..

let's be a little magnanimous

I used to think like you. But, not anymore...

Let Indians in India be magnanimous, less corrupt, more hardworking, a little more intelligent, and a lot more honest. The top 20% of the population is just as financially sound as most of the NRIs. so the NRIs repaying their mother country is an obsolete thought and does not apply to them anymore.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down