Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the indian check

+2
Propagandhi711
seven
6 posters

Go down

the indian check Empty the indian check

Post by swapna Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:35 pm

here's how most indians write the amount, in words, in the checks they write in the u.s.:

One hundred and seventy three dollars and 63 cents only Dollars.

the last word, in bold text above, is pre-printed in the check.

most of them have lived in the u.s. for a decade or two.

does this kind of sclerotic inanity also continue down the generations as the noisy, open-mouthed mastication - no, poopah711, no! it's not that! - of the northpeepals does?

swapna

Back to top Go down

the indian check Empty Re: the indian check

Post by swapna Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:06 pm

flurry of google searches detected, with string "how I should write check in u.s.a.?"

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:01 pm

You're bored. You're boring.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:44 pm

seven wrote:You're bored. You're boring.
I am never bored; I do many interesting things a day. i would be more upset if I were to be bored than if someone said that I'm boring.

which do you do routinely? write checks like an illiterate person - about 30% of northpeepals are illiterate - or chomp noisily with your mouth wide open, which nearly 100% of northpeepals do?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:02 pm

sclerotic inanity indeed. get yourself a fucking mirror and you'll sclerotically inane (and clinically insane). it's somewhat amusing to see those brain cells shutdown one by one

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:24 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:sclerotic inanity indeed. get yourself a fucking mirror and you'll sclerotically inane (and clinically insane). it's somewhat amusing to see those brain cells shutdown one by one
and when all my brain cells have shut down, I'll know what it's like to be you.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:51 pm

there are six errors in the single check amount written in words in the example I gave in my original post.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:50 pm

Instead of making fun, you'd do better to be a good "teacher". Parents dont laugh when their kids fall when learning to walk.

Lets try this, because I grew up in India, and no one taught me American ways, or maybe many did.

This is how I learnt, still not sure if it is best way. Pls feel free to correct me:

$73.00 - Seventy three and 00/100
$731.41 - Seven hundred thirty one and 41/100
$50,742.85 - Fifty thousand seven hundred forty two and 85/100
$122,456.11 - One hundred twenty two thousand four hundred fifty six and 11/100

I usually replace "and" at the end with "&" if forced for space.

Please advise, and Thanks,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:09 am

swapna wrote:
I am never bored; I do many interesting things a day. i would be more upset if I were to be bored than if someone said that I'm boring.

which do you do routinely? write checks like an illiterate person - about 30% of northpeepals are illiterate - or chomp noisily with your mouth wide open, which nearly 100% of northpeepals do?

Peeing, pooping, brushing your teeth, sleeping, eating dont count among interesting things - for normal people.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:47 am

it's been a long time since i "wrote" a check.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:00 am

swapna wrote:here's how most indians write the amount, in words, in the checks they write in the u.s.:

One hundred and seventy three dollars and 63 cents only Dollars.

the last word, in bold text above, is pre-printed in the check.

most of them have lived in the u.s. for a decade or two.

does this kind of sclerotic inanity also continue down the generations as the noisy, open-mouthed mastication - no, poopah711, no! it's not that! - of the northpeepals does?

Excellent question...Did you try posting your query on http://www.econgeniusesbeggingforaminimumwagejob.org? You will get a prompt answer.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:47 am

TruthSeeker wrote:Instead of making fun, you'd do better to be a good "teacher". Parents dont laugh when their kids fall when learning to walk.

Lets try this, because I grew up in India, and no one taught me American ways, or maybe many did.

This is how I learnt, still not sure if it is best way. Pls feel free to correct me:

TS.
the amounts you've written in words are nearly correct, and much better than most I've seen, but there's one error in each: the missing hyphen in words such as seventy-three. 

I shall also assume that in an actual check, you would write the fractional amount with a horizontal fraction bar rather than a slash.

the most important rule, I believe, is that the "and" be written exactly once, immediately following the last word of the whole-dollar amount; it signals the end of the whole-dollar amount and the beginning of the fractional dollar. moreover, the words "dollar," "cent," their plurals, or the decimal point are not to be written.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:18 am

swapna wrote:
TruthSeeker wrote:Instead of making fun, you'd do better to be a good "teacher". Parents dont laugh when their kids fall when learning to walk.

TS.
the amounts you've written in words are nearly correct, and much better than most I've seen, but there's one error in each: the missing hyphen in words such as seventy-three. 

I shall also assume that in an actual check, you would write the fractional amount with a horizontal fraction bar rather than a slash.

the most important rule, I believe, is that the "and" be written exactly once, immediately following the last word of the whole-dollar amount; it signals the end of the whole-dollar amount and the beginning of the fractional dollar. moreover, the words "dollar," "cent," their plurals, or the decimal point are not to be written.

Can you provide the laws concerning this strict check-writing method ?

what happens if one were to miss an and or put a / instead of a horijantal bar?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:03 am

Marathadi-Saamiyar wrote:Can you provide the laws concerning this strict check-writing method ?  
yes, I can.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:28 am

swapna wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:sclerotic inanity indeed. get yourself a fucking mirror and you'll sclerotically inane (and clinically insane). it's somewhat amusing to see those brain cells shutdown one by one
and when all my brain cells have shut down, I'll know what it's like to be you.

trust me, you're brain damaged. everyone knows it but you

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:51 am

swapna wrote:

sample of interesting things you do:

a) google searches on mistakes ppl make when writing checks.
b) putting all your remaining brain cells that havent degraded into writing the proper rules for something no one under 45 does anymore i.e. "write checks". see, most of us non-fossils have discovered this thing called internet banking and "writing checks" is not something anyone cares about.
c) counting the number of words contained in a random internet post and doing arithmetic to figure out how many more are allowed.
d) stalking another useless forum and x-posting yawn inducing observations from over there to here.

yeah, you do "many interesting things a day".

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:57 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
swapna wrote:

b) putting all your remaining brain cells that havent degraded into writing the proper rules for something no one under 45 does anymore i.e. "write checks". see, most of us non-fossils have discovered this thing called internet banking and "writing checks" is not something anyone cares about.
c) counting the number of words contained in a random internet post and doing arithmetic to figure out how many more are allowed.
d) stalking another useless forum and x-posting yawn inducing observations from over there to here.

you lost for the 463rd time; you can't redeem yourself now.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:00 am

swapna wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
swapna wrote:

did you reply to the wrong post? those cells are dying at an alarming rate indeed. I'd say am sorry, but I'd be lying

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:22 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
swapna wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
swapna wrote:

did you reply to the wrong post? those cells are dying at an alarming rate indeed. I'd say am sorry, but I'd be lying
"I'd say ___, but I'd be lying" -- miss uma's student from the "english-medium" school of guNTur.

this nearly attains the lofty standards for imaginative writing set here by boobsy BIMARU.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down