Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

swastika

3 posters

Go down

swastika Empty swastika

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:37 am

always seen swastika on doors, walls, or floors. Never heard of it on ceilings. when we moved to our new home, mom sent swastika stickers that I happily put e'where. Even until then I was unaware of it's deep symbolism. I knew of the hitler symbol, but I didn't know people freak out over its very sight. never had a pooja at home w/o someone drawing out a swastika first. then we invited people from work, etc for home warming party lol. some were shocked, but quickly understood. It looked too red, golden and festive (with dots at proper places), to indicate any kind of hatred. xh later took out the ones from the front door (outside). We kept the ones inside.

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2016/02/jewish_rutgers_student_faults_university_for_respo.html#incart_river_index

A Jewish student is outraged by the way Rutgers University handled an investigation into a swastika found taped to the ceiling near her apartment dorm room.

On Jan. 15, Rutgers senior Sara Rosen returned to her room at the Livingston Apartments after finishing a workout at the Livingston Campus gym. She walked in and saw a "huge swastika" taped to the ceiling right outside her bedroom.

According to a police report, later that evening officers responded to the apartment and spoke with the student responsible for taping the swastika to the ceiling. The student claimed it wasn't meant to represent the Nazi's swastika (or the Nazi Hakenkreuz), which faces right, but rather the Buddhist "sauwastika" — which faces left and is associated with peace. Police also spoke to the student's roommate.

The officer told the two students, who were Rosen's roommates, that "in the interest of peacekeeping, that I strongly advise them to take it down, but that I cannot force them to do so and infringe upon their freedom of speech."

Rosen said neither of the students claimed to be Buddhist, and that the symbol was intended for her. She said there had been a conflict between her and the two students some weeks earlier, in which they brought a pine tree into the apartment despite Rosen's request to remove it because of her allergies.

"This is all done as an act of intimidation toward me," she said.

She said Rutgers dean of students Mark Schuster implied that "she was exaggerating," saying the incident was "a joke gone bad."

Rosen also noted that, to her knowledge, neither of the two students removed the swastika. And when she returned to the apartment more than a day later with her mother, she says it was still there. She is unsure who eventually removed it from the ceiling.

Schuster confirmed that the university had investigated the matter, but declined to comment further. He deferred all other questions to be handled by someone from the media relations department.

A statement from Rutgers spokesman Jeff Tolvin read: "Rutgers University — New Brunswick takes reports of potential bias crimes extremely seriously ... Following an extensive investigation, which included several interviews ... the Prosecutor's Office determined there was not probable cause to charge the suspect with a bias crime. Residence Life offers alternative housing in cases where students have immediate safety concerns. However, the student may decline that offer and keep their residence."

The student who taped the symbol to the ceiling was reached for comment and pointed NJ Advance Media to a statement on Facebook from his friend who spoke on the his behalf.

"This is a person who has never once shown any hostility of any sort toward anybody, even when faced with situations that would have driven any other person (myself included) to anger," the statement said.

The friend, who said he too was a Buddhist, added, "For us to see this only as a symbol of hatred and the Nazi party is to completely erase the long history of swastika and Buddhism."

The friend added that the student "has not only been relocated from his Livingston apartment, but has also been ordered to leave on-campus housing altogether and had "talk among the authorities that they are considering suspension. All these sanctions, I will reiterate, are due to his taping a Buddhist swastika on his ceiling."

Joshua Cohen, regional director of the Anti-Defamation League, New Jersey Region, condemned the incident and the way Rutgers responded to it.

"The university should ... take the important step in making a strong public statement in condemning this incident," he said.

To the student's claim of being a Buddhist, Cohen said, "Yes, there is a long history of the swastika ... (but) the murderous legacy of the Nazi regime has converted the swastika into a symbol of hate, anti-Semitism and infamy."

Whether facing right, or facing left, he said the symbol is "shocking, jarring, it is frightening" and that, "no student should have to come home and view something like that."

He added, "he should know a symbol like that offends the sensibilities of Jewish and non-Jewish individuals. You would think that individual would have the good sense to remove it."

Rosen said after the incident she had little choice but to move out of the Livingston Apartments for her safety. 

Rosen said she is hoping for a policy change that would prohibit this type of behavior by students.

Back to top Go down

swastika Empty Re: swastika

Post by swapna Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:21 am

Meghna Mathur wrote:...Even until then I was unaware of it's deep symbolism. I knew of the hitler symbol, but I didn't know people freak out over its very sight. ...
I am curious about your ignorance; did you have a high-school or college education? are you literate? had you not read about the second world war, hitler, the nazis, european jews, or the holocaust?

are you one of the northpeepals?

woman, you've posted 207 words here today on your employer's time and money, only to display your ignorance, but haven't produced a single line of code. get back to work!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:29 am

swapna wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:...Even until then I was unaware of it's deep symbolism. I knew of the hitler symbol, but I didn't know people freak out over its very sight. ...
I am curious about your ignorance; did you have a high-school or college education? are you literate? had you not read about the second world war, hitler, the nazis, european jews, or the holocaust?

woman, you've posted 207 words here today on your employer's time and money, but haven't produced a single line of code. get back to work!

hey there hairy tightskin, what's your height? never clarified your height and your bullcrap on average southindian heights, did you? you lost there, didn't you?

I knew of its symblosim. I didn't know amrikans were that stupid that they will walk into a hindu's house and freak out about our practices inside our house, forget about them knowing the difference in the orientation of the two. got it?

still stuck in the 80s? don't know how programmers code these days?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 pm

swapna wrote:

woman, you've posted 207 words here today on your employer's time and money, only to display your ignorance, but haven't produced a single line of code. get back to work!
what the fyuck you are talking about ? Desi students hated history and barely want to get by. Even I - note that EVEN - did not know about hitler's symbol until I read Exodus.

And so what if hitler used Swastika, which precedes him. So are you proposing that the hindus ban Swastika from 600 million homes so as not to hurt the sentiments of 16 mil jews ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
swapna wrote:

what the fyuck you are talking about ? Desi students hated history and barely want to get by. Even I - note that EVEN - did not know about hitler's symbol until I read Exodus.

And so what if hitler used Swastika, which precedes him. So are you proposing that the hindus ban Swastika from 600 million homes so as not to hurt the sentiments of 16 mil jews ?

I know... sorry to see among fellow Indians, especially older ones, but what swapna displayed here is indeed the typical (and sad) mentality of a brown (tight) skin to demonstrate his slavery to the white skin. chiding *me* for americans not knowing the full history of swastika. it's that fucked up, yep.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:57 pm

clap
Meghna Mathur wrote:
swapna wrote:

I know... sorry to see among fellow Indians, especially older ones, but what swapna displayed here is indeed the typical (and sad) mentality of a brown (tight) skin to demonstrate his slavery to the white skin. chiding *me* for americans not knowing the full history of swastika. it's that fucked up, yep.
clap

And that too in the ripe old age of internet in 2016.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:17 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:
swapna wrote:

this is about your appalling ignorance, not about your right to display a swastika. read what you wrote in your initial post:

"until then I was unaware of it's deep symbolism."

I am also shocked that it was your mother who sent you the swastikas to decorate your house in the u.s. with.

meghu, you'll do well to read more, gossip less, not spend all your energy and creativity enticing men, not steal time from your employer, stop obsessively watching bollywood movies and using them as a model for how life should be lived; in short, being less of a typical northperson.

good luck.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:40 pm

swapna wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:
swapna wrote:

this is about your appalling ignorance, not about your right to display a swastika. read what you wrote in your initial post:

"until then I was unaware of it's deep symbolism."

I am also shocked that it was your mother who sent you the swastikas to decorate your house in the u.s. with.

meghu, you'll do well to read more, gossip less, not spend all your energy and creativity enticing men, not steal time from your employer, stop obsessively watching bollywood movies and using them as a model for how life should be lived; in short, being less of a typical northperson.

good luck.

Now, don't try your sly methods and cut off my posts. read the whole thing again, and again if you don't get it, and then maybe one more time. Nope, will not explain again. I am not a broken record.

o hairy-head, there are the some things you get to experience and react to first hand, not everything comes in a textbook.

pyari tightskin, you know what? you will do much better if you lived your life, period.

and what's your peeve with north Indians again? Still pissed that your next month's groceries depends on a eighty three and 49/100 dollars check from a northindian, who I must say must be very generous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down