Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ramachandra Guha: "Within India, Hindu Fundamentalism is more dangerous than Islamic Fundamentalism"

Go down

Ramachandra Guha: "Within India, Hindu Fundamentalism is more dangerous than Islamic Fundamentalism" Empty Ramachandra Guha: "Within India, Hindu Fundamentalism is more dangerous than Islamic Fundamentalism"

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Q: You recently made a statement that ‘Hindu fundamentalism is much more terrifying than Islamic fundamentalism.’ Please comment.
The quote you attribute to me originates in a typically selective and tendentious piece of reporting by a leading national news channel. What I said, during the Q and A session following a talk I gave in Delhi on contemporary history, was this: Globally, Islamic fundamentalism is a far greater threat than Hindu fundamentalism. Groups such as ISIS are barbaric and brutal. Within India, however, Hindu fundamentalism is more dangerous than Islamic fundamentalism, because Hindus are in an overwhelming majority in our country, and all studies show that, outside of Kashmir, Muslims and Christians suffer more than Hindus in sectarian violence. As a human being, I regard ISIS and other jihadist groups to be a threat to humanity. As an Indian, I regard Hindu fundamentalist groups to be a threat to Indian democracy and pluralism.
These are my views, in full and in context. I wish all journalists would be responsible in what and how they quote!

http://www.navhindtimes.in/patriotism-is-the-first-refuge-of-the-incompetent/

Back to top Go down