Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

take a bow, Graeme Smith (Cricket)

Go down

take a bow, Graeme Smith (Cricket) Empty take a bow, Graeme Smith (Cricket)

Post by Another Brick Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:49 am

you all know that there is always a debate going on about who the best player in the 4th innings of a test match is. people usually talk about Ponting, Lara, Waugh, Dravid and Laxman when it comes to 4th innings heroics. while we all were debating these stats, look who has left his peers so far back that there is no chance for them to catch up. the following table gives their stats in the 4th innings when their side won the game. Smith's stats are staggering. i am also giving steve waugh's stats to debunk the theory that he excelled under pressure.

PS - the discussion is about the contemporary cricketers.
RPI - runs per innings (i am avoiding average)

Smith has 1030 runs in 18 innings @ RPI of 85.83 with 4 100s and 5 50s
VVSL has 402 runs in 8 innings @ RPI of 50 with 1 100 and 3 50s
Lara has 406 runs in 9 innings @ RPI of 45 with 1 100 and 2 50s
Ponting has 897 runs in 23 innings @ RPI of 39 with 3 100s and 4 50s
SRT has 653 runs in 23 innings @ RPI of 28 with 1 100 and 4 50s
RSD has 511 runs in 19 innings @ RPI of 27 with 0 100 and 3 50s
Kallis has 555 runs in 23 innings @ RPI of 24 with 0 100 and 5 50s
Waugh has 182 runs in 18 innings @ RPI of 18 with no 100 and no 50

what makes his achievements better than anyone else is that two of his hundreds are against AUS, one against ENG and one against NZ in testing conditions. Check it out. and he has to play the new ball. respect.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

take a bow, Graeme Smith (Cricket) Empty Re: take a bow, Graeme Smith (Cricket)

Post by Guest Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:06 am

I will never forget that match at Sydney where he came out with a broken arm and tried his best to save the match.

He is my favourite modern day player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:59 am

blabberwock wrote:I will never forget that match at Sydney where he came out with a broken arm and tried his best to save the match.

yes. that entire series was epic. pity that his heroics could not last for a few more mins and AUS won the game (but lost the series). smith is not talked about as much as some other players, but he is an excellent player and a good captain. i was one of those who doubted their board's move to appoint him as SA's captain, but he proved me wrong.

i did not include amla and ABD (also sangakkara and gambhir) in this list since they don't have as many matches as others. amla and ABD have impressive stats in the 4th innings. despite their top batsmen (GS, JK, HA and ABD) having very good stats while chasing in the 4th innings, they are still called chokers. i think that's mainly because of their collapses in ODIs.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:17 am

under fire for his indifferent ODI form, graeme smith is playing a useful innings. 68* from 66. ABD is 60* from 35. another loss for lanka fo sho.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down