Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

clinton's natural support base

3 posters

Go down

clinton's natural support base Empty clinton's natural support base

Post by swapna Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:48 am

clinton's natural support base is made up of women and minorities, who form 65% of the electorate. I wonder why there is any doubt about her winning this election.

I understand that these minorities are not uniformly distributed over the country, so the high, overall percentage of the minority electorate is less important in an electoral-college system than in a popular-vote system. still, 65% to 35% in potential popular support is a huge advantage for clinton, right off the starting blocks. and I haven't even mentioned the poor yet.

add to that trump's inanity and bigotry in a diverse society; he will "self-destruct"; clinton only needs to show up. if she wants to exert herself a bit, she may work to ensure that a large part of her natural support group turn out to vote on election day. I think she's doing that.

a lot of people take the media's political correctness - they treat donald the inane and competent clinton as equals - to be indicative of trump's strength. in other words, the media set a lower standard for trump. for example, they didn't have much to say about trump's asinine claim that he gets plenty of exercise these days from the hand gestures he makes during his campaign speeches!

the media are extra kind to trump because they know that he will lose, and they want to portray themselves as fair.

swapna

Back to top Go down

clinton's natural support base Empty Re: clinton's natural support base

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:25 pm

the assumption here is that those who are members of the 65% will vote overwhelmingly from clinton. again, i hope you are right. i heard a program on NPR today where they were interviewing women and minorities (particularly hispanics) in one of the battleground states, i don't remember which one, may have been virginia. one of the women they interviewed, a hispanic immigrant pastor who sounded like she had just stepped out of mexico said she disliked trump immensely because of his crudeness and xenophobia but that she'd still vote for him because she identifies with the republican party based on her religiosity. another person they interviewed was a single white mom who was abandoned by the father of her child and her family, and didn't have much going for her. she was pretty much on the streets when some non-profit organization that is heavily funded by the federal government rescued her and gave her a place to live and to get a grip of her life. she said she understands that republicans don't believe as much as democrats in a safety net, and that the organization that gave her a hand would probably not exist if republicans had their way, but that she's still voting for the republican candidate on account of her religion which was all too important to her. she said she knows clinton says that she is christian, but she doesn't really trust that she is one. it was all very depressing.

religion is poisonous and self-destructive in so many ways.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:28 pm

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/21/494874964/the-big-reason-voters-like-trump-clinton-theyre-not-the-other

this is the article connected to that NPR broadcast in my original post. there is a link to the audio on the right.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

not to mention, it robs people of critical thinking faculties completely.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:15 pm

Already preemptive excuses are being made:

If Hillary Clinton loses the presidential election in November, we will know the reason. The email controversy did her candidacy in. But it needed a helping hand — and the news media readily supplied that. My analysis of media coverage in the four weeks surrounding both parties’ national conventions found that her use of a private email server while secretary of State and other alleged scandal references accounted for 11% of Clinton’s news coverage in the top five television networks and six major newspapers, including the Los Angeles Times. Excluding neutral reports, 91% of the email-related news reports were negative in tone. Then, there were the references to her character and personal life, which accounted for 4% of the coverage; that was 92% negative.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:18 pm

silvermani wrote:Already preemptive excuses are being made:

If Hillary Clinton loses the presidential election in November, we will know the reason. The email controversy did her candidacy in. But it needed a helping hand — and the news media readily supplied that. My analysis of media coverage in the four weeks surrounding both parties’ national conventions found that her use of a private email server while secretary of State and other alleged scandal references accounted for 11% of Clinton’s news coverage in the top five television networks and six major newspapers, including the Los Angeles Times. Excluding neutral reports, 91% of the email-related news reports were negative in tone. Then, there were the references to her character and personal life, which accounted for 4% of the coverage; that was 92% negative.

a direct q to you -- are you comfortable with a trump presidency (i am assuming here that you are of indian origin)?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:23 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
silvermani wrote:Already preemptive excuses are being made:

a direct q to you -- are you comfortable with a trump presidency (i am assuming here that you are of indian origin)?

I am not "comfortable" but I don't think a win for him will turn out to be an apocalyptic event.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

not to mention, it robs people of critical thinking faculties completely.
You never uttered such dialogues when innocent people were mass murdered in the name of a religion, max.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down