Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Identity politics lost the election for the dems

4 posters

Go down

How Identity politics lost the election for the dems Empty How Identity politics lost the election for the dems

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Another lecture:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?

The best comment:
I'm already tired of the lectures about how we should try to understand the pain of the white rural voter. I live in the most conservative town in America, McBain MI. Let me tell you what I've learned living liberal in rural America. The farmers, who are attached to the Government by the hip, think the EPA is going to ride around in 4 wheelers in putting them out of business because of a puddle in their driveway. They actually believe that liberals will take their guns away. The day before the election, the front page of our local paper did not separate the candidates by issues but by their stance on abortion. Teenage girls here have kids before they get out of high school. Lest you think any Dem could get elected here, let me disabuse you of that notion. The only time there's a dem on the ballot here is for national elections. Everything from the SC to dog catcher is run by Republicans and they wouldn't vote for a Dem if his name was Jesus Christ. Oh, and let me add that I've been getting death threats and misogynist hate mail for nearly 20 years. Pastors here preach Obama is the anti-Christ and their religion is under siege. Dems are never going to crack the rural nut of fake news, religion and tribalism at least in my rural area. This is a different breed of people, closed minded, insular and uncurious about anything beyond the town limits.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

How Identity politics lost the election for the dems Empty Re: How Identity politics lost the election for the dems

Post by garam_kuta Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:04 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Another lecture:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?

The best comment:
I'm already tired of the lectures about how we should try to understand the pain of the white rural voter. I live in the most conservative town in America, McBain MI. Let me tell you what I've learned living liberal in rural America. The farmers, who are attached to the Government by the hip, think the EPA is going to ride around in 4 wheelers in putting them out of business because of a puddle in their driveway. They actually believe that liberals will take their guns away. The day before the election, the front page of our local paper did not separate the candidates by issues but by their stance on abortion. Teenage girls here have kids before they get out of high school. Lest you think any Dem could get elected here, let me disabuse you of that notion. The only time there's a dem on the ballot here is for national elections. Everything from the SC to dog catcher is run by Republicans and they wouldn't vote for a Dem if his name was Jesus Christ. Oh, and let me add that I've been getting death threats and misogynist hate mail for nearly 20 years. Pastors here preach Obama is the anti-Christ and their religion is under siege. Dems are never going to crack the rural nut of fake news, religion and tribalism at least in my rural area. This is a different breed of people, closed minded, insular and uncurious about anything beyond the town limits.

whoa @ ...Everything from the SC to dog catcher is run by Republicans and they wouldn't vote for a Dem if his name was Jesus Christ....

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

How Identity politics lost the election for the dems Empty Re: How Identity politics lost the election for the dems

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:43 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Another lecture:

The best comment:

whoa @ ...Everything from the SC to dog catcher is run by Republicans and they wouldn't vote for a Dem if his name was Jesus Christ....

True. There were no democrats on the ballot for state and local races, in interior PA per a cousin. Both my neighbors, one who grew up in rural PA, and another who grew up in South Carolina, are middle aged white males. And at first, I thought they seemed like caricatures straight out of some right wing site or fox news. But they are real, and they are tons of them out there. I guess they all pine for a time of their youth or childhood when US was far more prosperous. Some of them don't believe in college education, but expect a life of relative comfort, with decent income, health insurance etc. Conspiracy theories are big with them.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:47 pm

btw, I can't identify the posters here any more. garam-kuta, garam_kuta, garam kuta....??!

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:58 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:I guess they all pine for a time of their youth or childhood when US was far more prosperous. Some of them don't believe in college education, but expect a life of relative comfort, with decent income, health insurance etc. Conspiracy theories are big with them.
This is the real problem. The US was not more prosperous when they were young, it was less prosperous than it is today. Standards of living are higher today than they were in the '50s.

What is different, though, is the pace of improvement. Back then, incomes were growing at a healthy clip above inflation even for people without college degrees, thanks to strong unions and relative lack of capital in the rest of the post-WW2 world to compete effectively with American labor. Thanks to deliberate GOP policies, unions have been decimated and people with high-school education have no bargaining power in the labor market. And the temporary shortage of capital in the rest of the world was corrected by the '70s. They grew up seeing dramatic improvements in their lives, and for the last 30 years, they have seen their own local economy decline and then stagnate there. Young people with college degrees leave for the cities, and the ones left there are either too old or too uneducated to start the kind of 21st century businesses that can revive the economy.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down