Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do Telugus and Biharis have something in common?

+2
charvaka
The Absolute Zero
6 posters

Go down

Do Telugus and Biharis have something in common?  Empty Do Telugus and Biharis have something in common?

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:22 pm

The answer is yes. In one word: Dowry.

To elaborate, Biharis are notorious in north india for demanding huge dowries from the prospective bride's family for the groom. Likewise, telugus in South India.

Dowry is nothing less than a kind of extortion. It needs to be stamped out.

I was saddened to hear even cultured telugus defending the dowry practice on the ground that it is a kind of division of property between brothers and sisters. The large number of bride burning incidents all over the country because of the dowry menace means that this practice needs to be stamped out completely.

Back to top Go down

Do Telugus and Biharis have something in common?  Empty Re: Do Telugus and Biharis have something in common?

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:28 pm

i would like to emphasize that many telugus and biharis do not believe in dowry and do not indulge in this practice. but the most exorbitant dowry demands one generally hears of are from bihar and AP.

Back to top Go down

Do Telugus and Biharis have something in common?  Empty Re: Do Telugus and Biharis have something in common?

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Need to know.. How much Dhoni (Jarkhand/Bihari) was paid and how much VVS Laxman (south Indian Telugu) was paid. Pliss to clarify urgently. Seems like their wives did not pay the "extended dowry" and that reflects on their performance. I am just saying.

Uppili Maharaj how much do YOU think $kar took? He is doing badly too.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:13 pm

ok i am forced to eat crow on this issue:

http://www.indiatogether.org/wehost/nodowri/stats.htm

hopefully the bride burning stats for UP have become better since 1994. (i am unable to find more recent geographical distributions for bride burning in india.)

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:ok i am forced to eat crow on this issue:

hopefully the bride burning stats for UP have become better since 1994. (i am unable to find more recent geographical distributions for bride burning in india.)
Hope this helps:

From the latest Crime in India report published by the National Crime Records Bureau for crimes reported in the year 2010.

Crime in India, Table 5.2

State
# of dowry deaths
dowry deaths per 1 lakh people
% share of national total
Andhra Pradesh
7.0%
Bihar
15.0%
Uttar Pradesh
26.4%
Why do you think you wrote your original post, although more than a quarter of all of India's dowry deaths take place in Uttar Pradesh? Anything to do with the method you use to arrive at your conclusions, perhaps?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:57 pm

there are two separate issues involved here:
1. incidence of bride burning all over India
2. amount of the dowry demanded from the girl's family

I wrote the original post keeping in mind the second point as the primary focus i.e. amount of money demanded from the girl's family.

charvaka wrote:

Hope this helps:

From the latest Crime in India report published by the National Crime Records Bureau for crimes reported in the year 2010.

State
# of dowry deaths
Andhra Pradesh
7.0%
Bihar
15.0%
Uttar Pradesh
26.4%
Why do you think you wrote your original post, although more than a quarter of all of India's dowry deaths take place in Uttar Pradesh? Anything to do with the method you use to arrive at your conclusions, perhaps?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:06 pm

it should also be remembered that approximately 20% of Indians live in Uttar Pradesh.

charvaka wrote:

Hope this helps:

State
# of dowry deaths
Andhra Pradesh
7.0%
Bihar
15.0%
Uttar Pradesh
26.4%

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:27 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:south Indian Telugu

is there any other kind?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:55 am

Rashmun wrote:it should also be remembered that approximately 20% of Indians live in Uttar Pradesh.

Why should that affect the incidence i.e. number of dowry deaths per lakh of population?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:02 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Rashmun wrote:it should also be remembered that approximately 20% of Indians live in Uttar Pradesh.

Why should that affect the incidence i.e. number of dowry deaths per lakh of population?

--> it does not affect the number of dowry deaths per lakh of population, but it does affect the other column given by C (% share of national total). When C said in his post that more than a quarter of dowry deaths taking place in India take place in U.P. he was referring to this column.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:14 am

Rashmun wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

--> it does not affect the number of dowry deaths per lakh of population, but it does affect the other column given by C (% share of national total).
Your concern about dowry stemmed, per your original post, from the lamentable occurrence of dowry-related deaths in India. ("The large number of bride burning incidents all over the country because of the dowry menace means that this practice needs to be stamped out completely" ityaadi ityaadi.) More than a quarter of those deaths occur in UP. In terms of dowry deaths per capita, the rate for UP is over 50% greater than that for AP. Perhaps you should devote your considerable energies to eradicating this problem in UP. I wish you well in this noble enterprise.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:18 am

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

--> it does not affect the number of dowry deaths per lakh of population, but it does affect the other column given by C (% share of national total).
Your concern about dowry stemmed, per your original post, from the lamentable occurrence of dowry-related deaths in India. ("The large number of bride burning incidents all over the country because
of the dowry menace means that this practice needs to be stamped out
completely" ityaadi ityaadi.) More than a quarter of those deaths occur in UP. In terms of dowry deaths per capita, the rate for UP is over 50% greater than that for AP. Perhaps you should devote your considerable energies to eradicating this problem in UP. I wish you well in this noble enterprise.

--> the statistic you are quoting is misleading because of the larger population of U.P. The correct statistic, as Merlot points out, is 'dowry deaths per one lakh people'. If we see this statistic we find the figure for Bihar is 1.3, for U.P. is 1.1, and for AP is 0.7.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:22 am

Rashmun wrote:The correct statistic, as Merlot points out, is 'dowry deaths per one lakh people'. If we see this statistic we find the figure for Bihar is 1.3, for U.P. is 1.1, and for AP is 0.7.
Per your correct statistic, UP's per-capita rate of dowry deaths is 57% greater than that of AP. So may I humbly suggest that you dedicate your considerable energies to eradicating this problem in UP? I wish you much luck in your noble enterprise.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:24 am

Note to self: Never ever get into argument with Rashmun.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:23 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

is there any other kind?

Depends on your drunken state Mr daruwalla and the blood alcohol content to check yourself, if you know about geography

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:11 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

is there any other kind?

Depends on your drunken state Mr daruwalla and the blood alcohol content to check yourself, if you know about geography

Eh? How is my blood-acohol content relevant to the question Max asked you?

Speaking of which, what was your blood alcohol content when you posted this extremely clever and viTTy retort?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:46 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
The Absolute Zero wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

is there any other kind?

Eh? How is my blood-acohol content relevant to the question Max asked you?

Speaking of which, what was your blood alcohol content when you posted this extremely clever and viTTy retort?

daruwalla = one who drinks daru or can be interpreted as one who sells daru (thereby usually drinks it). How are YOU involved in this? BTW I do not drink. My blood alcohol was under normal limits ;-) (if not The Absolute Zero)

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 am

dowry is a common factor in any Indian community .the title is an irrelevant one .

but it is true telugus i have read are famous for their demands .plus they are a rich community so they give in to those demands in an attmept to pass of their daughters ..honest

dowry is a terror striking deed.... should be a jailable offence
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down