Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Krishna Prasad: On March 11, 2017, the 'idea of India' died a peaceful death

Go down

Krishna Prasad: On March 11, 2017, the 'idea of India' died a peaceful death Empty Krishna Prasad: On March 11, 2017, the 'idea of India' died a peaceful death

Post by Guest Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Without beating around the bush, let me say the "Idea of India" died peacefully today, 11 March 2017.
It was 70 years old.
Make no mistake. Narendra Modi and Amit Shah, and the BJP and RSS, have pulled off a magnificent, conversation-stopping victory.
Let me say that again. Narendra Modi and Amit Shah, and the BJP and RSS, have pulled off a magnificent, conversation-stopping victory.
They have shut every mouth and mind that doubted them, and, for their hard work and success, they deserve everything---and more---that will come their way in the days and weeks ahead.
That said, India tonight is a nation diminished in its own eyes. We are a little less of a people wedded to the "Idea of India" than when we switched on our TV sets this morning.
Vox populi vox dei: the voice of the people is the voice of god.
So help me, god.
The people have spoken and they have essentially said that they have had enough of the hi-falutin' founding principles that have not taken them to the destination they intended to reach.
An open, just, secular, liberal, tolerant, plural, inclusive India, where we can eat, love, live, study, think, question and pray as we please suddenly seems less fashionable and desirable.
The late 'New York Times' editor James Reston once said that an election was a voter's secret commmunion with democracy, and it is sacrilege to pry and ask why.
Yet, in my mind, biased and coloured as it may be, today's result is further affirmation that the 2014 result wasn't just an election verdict---it was a paradigmatic mindshift.
Again, without beating around the bush, let me say that there is no stopping the forces that have been unleashed and emboldened by the scale of today's win.
It is irreversible.
India's aspiring, literate, urban middleclass have twice outsourced the task of salvaging the DNA of its democracy to its poorest, most illiterate, ignorant, ill-fed masses.
Once, they succeeded.
Today, they failed.

https://www.facebook.com/churumuri/posts/10154260063542301

Back to top Go down