Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Swan

+3
Impedimenta
SomeProfile
harharmahadev
7 posters

Go down

Black Swan Empty Black Swan

Post by harharmahadev Sat May 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Good movie. Nice mix of psycho thriller and ballet....very intriguing. Highly recommend.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Black Swan Empty Re: Black Swan

Post by Guest Sat May 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Saw it on the plane...Liked it too...Slow that I was, took me a while to realize she was imagining half of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Sun May 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Black Swan is a good movie in that it creates the atmosphere of claustrophobic psychosis very well and pulls you in. Not as good as Mulholland Drive, but good enough.

There were two things about the movie that didn't convince me **SPOILER ALERT - DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU PLAN ON WATCHING THE MOVIE WITHOUT SPOILERS**:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

1. I am not convinced that she would turn so psychotic as to kill / harm herself, regardless of what the performance pressures were.

2. I was waiting and anticipating all movie long for a really moving Black Swan dance sequence, but the Black Swan performance they showed towards the end was simply not convincing. The beginning of the movie had a good and convincing White Swan sequence in her dream. That made me build up expectations for an even better Black Swan sequence in the end. Only to be disappointed.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon May 09, 2011 1:11 pm

SomeProfile wrote:Black Swan is a good movie in that it creates the atmosphere of claustrophobic psychosis very well and pulls you in. Not as good as Mulholland Drive, but good enough.

There were two things about the movie that didn't convince me **SPOILER ALERT - DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU PLAN ON WATCHING THE MOVIE WITHOUT SPOILERS**:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

1. I am not convinced that she would turn so psychotic as to kill / harm herself, regardless of what the performance pressures were.

2. I was waiting and anticipating all movie long for a really moving Black Swan dance sequence, but the Black Swan performance they showed towards the end was simply not convincing. The beginning of the movie had a good and convincing White Swan sequence in her dream. That made me build up expectations for an even better Black Swan sequence in the end. Only to be disappointed.

spot on analysis SP! I was totally witing for an amazing performance at the end but it went busssss...

if only you did not gossip so much.....

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Mon May 09, 2011 1:15 pm

Here's my review--

Natalie Portman plays a beautiful , fragile , delicate ballerina who is obsessed with perfection . She reaches the top of the profession after she is chosen to play lead role in the ballet Swan lake .

But she feels that her mother , who is a failed ballerina herself , is jealous of her , and doesn't want her to succeed . And has a hunch that another ballerina , seductively played by Mila Kunis , is out to oust her from the position of lead performer by seducing the director of the ballet ( played by Vincent Cassell ) , who himself is a sleazy guy .

And what are those blood-stained scratches appearing on her back every morning ??

Things are not quite what they seem to be.......

All the makings of a thriller movie , eh......or is it really one ??

The photography is terrific , and makes feel that something ominous is going to happen in every frame of the film . Acting is class--by everyone .

Verdict-- good stuff .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Mon May 09, 2011 2:23 pm

ashdoc wrote:Here's my review--

Natalie Portman plays a beautiful , fragile , delicate ballerina who is obsessed with perfection . She reaches the top of the profession after she is chosen to play lead role in the ballet Swan lake .

But she feels that her mother , who is a failed ballerina herself , is jealous of her , and doesn't want her to succeed . And has a hunch that another ballerina , seductively played by Mila Kunis , is out to oust her from the position of lead performer by seducing the director of the ballet ( played by Vincent Cassell ) , who himself is a sleazy guy .

And what are those blood-stained scratches appearing on her back every morning ??

Things are not quite what they seem to be.......

All the makings of a thriller movie , eh......or is it really one ??

The photography is terrific , and makes feel that something ominous is going to happen in every frame of the film . Acting is class--by everyone .

Verdict-- good stuff .

Hello Ashdoc...good to see you here on this site....welcome! You should post some of your threads out here too! You are in good company, trust me!

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Mon May 09, 2011 3:21 pm

harharmahadev wrote: You should post some of your threads out here too!

sure........

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Mon May 09, 2011 4:06 pm

ashdoc wrote:the director of the ballet ( played by Vincent Cassell ) , who himself is a sleazy guy .

Objection! Why do you think he is a sleazy guy? There were several occasions in the movie when he could have easily seduced the Natalie Portman character. But he never went through with it. And each time, he made it clear that whatever he did with her / to her was solely to awaken the Black Swan in her. If he banged other ballerinas in the movie that was more because they offered themselves to him. What is the meaning of 'sleazy guy', anyway?

Also, who is ashdoc?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon May 09, 2011 4:09 pm

SomeProfile wrote:

Also, who is ashdoc?
From the desichatter site
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Impedimenta wrote:if only you did not gossip so much.....

Whoa! Wait what? What? If only I did not gossip so much.... then WHAT?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Mon May 09, 2011 4:17 pm

SomeProfile wrote:
ashdoc wrote:the director of the ballet ( played by Vincent Cassell ) , who himself is a sleazy guy .

Also, who is ashdoc?

He is a real doctor, based in Mumbai!

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Mon May 09, 2011 4:18 pm

harharmahadev wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

Also, who is ashdoc?

He is a real doctor, based in Mumbai!

Cool. So, we can get some real medical info here. Instead of Uppili's mumbo-jumbo.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 pm

SomeProfile wrote:
Objection! Why do you think he is a sleazy guy? There were several occasions in the movie when he could have easily seduced the Natalie Portman character. But he never went through with it. And each time, he made it clear that whatever he did with her / to her was solely to awaken the Black Swan in her. If he banged other ballerinas in the movie that was more because they offered themselves to him. What is the meaning of 'sleazy guy', anyway?
We have a saying in Telugu that roughly translates to: someone said "pumpkin thief," and our fellow checks his own shoulders."
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon May 09, 2011 4:35 pm

this thread needed a SPOILER alert..

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Mon May 09, 2011 4:38 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:this thread needed a SPOILER alert..

Anybody who visits a movie discussion thread should assume there are going to be SPOILERS.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon May 09, 2011 4:40 pm

seriously..

thanks for that gem SP.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content