Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the nature of capitalism

2 posters

Go down

On the nature of capitalism Empty On the nature of capitalism

Post by charvaka Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:17 pm

As it becomes clear to conservatives that Mitt Romney will walk away with the GOP nomination if they don't stop him, the attacks against him are beginning to sound more and more like Team Obama's attacks against Romney. Newt Gingrich, who beats Romney at ideological gymnastics -- a feat which is really, really hard to accomplish given Romney's multiple, mutually-conflicting views on every important topic -- came up with this gem of a question today.

Is capitalism really about the ability of a handful of rich people to manipulate the lives of thousands of other people and walk off with the money?

Is it? If it is not, as Gingrich is suggesting, then who is stop that handful of rich people? The government, which is the problem? The free market which failed to stop Romney? God, who decided to stay out of this one?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/us/politics/on-primary-eve-rivals-try-to-force-romney-to-play-defense.html
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

On the nature of capitalism Empty Re: On the nature of capitalism

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 am

C, this is a very different race, politically. Romney has the best chance of defeating obama. his campaign has the organizational ability to win. he has a solid fund raising effort on his side. When he was the governor of MA, he dealt with a 75 percent democratic legislature. he managed to introduce reforms and not raise taxes and even manage the budget.

Having said that, all this will not matter because this is once again a different race where perceptions[not even real numbers] of diminished unemployment will ultimately win this for the candidate.

another candidate i like is huntsman but he is not going anywhere. i really wish chris christie opted to run in the elections. i really do.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Impedimenta wrote:all this will not matter because this is once again a different race where perceptions[not even real numbers] of diminished unemployment will ultimately win this for the candidate.
Yes. But Gingrich, Perry and Huntsman's attacks will help Obama make a stronger argument, if unemployment remains where it is -- not over 9%, but not under 8% either. In that scenario, Obama will try to play this as, "if you think I couldn't get much done, deal with this guy who made a fortune firing people, who likes firing people" and he can use video footage of Gingrich and Perry to make that argument.

Impedimenta wrote:another candidate i like is huntsman but he is not going anywhere. i really wish chris christie opted to run in the elections. i really do.
Huntsman should consider a third-party run. Perhaps he is thinking of 2016.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down