Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie recos

Go down

Movie recos Empty Movie recos

Post by Guest Sun May 07, 2017 1:31 pm

1. Waiting.....: a must watch Hinglish movie. The friendship between a modern young girl and an old man who are almost in the same kind of a situation, how they interact with and influence each other is the subject of the movie. A delightful movie, though it all happens in backdrop of a grave situation and in the hospital surroundings. Kalki Koechlin put on an awesome performance. She's a very natural actress and you'll love her in this movie. Naseeruddin shah is good too. There's Suhasini too and could've easily played Suhasini's role. Fine direction. Reiterationg: A must watch movie.

2. Margarita with a straw: A Kalki's movie again. You'll surely be awestruck by her acting prowess. She is undoubtedly the finest actress in India right now. It's a very bold movie where a wheelchair bound quadraplegic with Cerebral palsy, Kalki (Laila), explores her sexuality. Brilliant performance by Kalki and Revathi as her mother. The ending has a beautiful message, probably to everyone.

3. That girl in yellow boots: One more Kalki's movie. Anurag Kashyap is the director. A girl from London comes to India in search of her father. The movie leaves you depressed and cynical. Watch it at your own risk.

4. Thithi: This is a Kannada movie. The unique thing about this movie is that there's not one single person in the movie who's an actor. They were all picked up from the village it was shot in. The movie seems so natural with its rural surroundings. I got nostalgic about my grandmother's village that i used to visit when i was little. The movie explores the personalities of three generations of men from a family.You'll fall in love with the grandfather, the nomadic/homeless Gadappa, who is pretty bindaas, least bit materialistic and blissfully happy. One would love to be like him. 
It's a delightful movie and i enjoyed watching it.

5. Sairat: It's a movie that i watched on and off. Husband said it's a huge hit. It's a marathi movie. I got interested in the movie midway (when the couple move to hyderabad). Beautiful acting by the two main protagonists, especially the girl. The direction by Nagaraj Munjule is superb.  The ending is....

6. YZ: A marathi movie again! It's about a clumsy, low self-esteemed bachelor in his mid-thirties who is desperate to get married. He moves to a bigger city, tries to change himself, meets the girls and all, but ultimately with his new self-discovery, takes an altogether different path. A watchable movie. It's good. 

7. Double seat: A marathi movie where a strong, and super optimistic young bride sets out to buy an apartment for her family. The personality of the girl is very impressive. Loved the movie.

8. North 24 miles (North 24 kaatham): A malayalam movie which I watched yesterday. It's about how a nerdy, antisocial guy who is also a cleanliness freak with severe ocd meets this girl on an unusual journey, falls in love with her and overcomes his OCD and other shortcomings. It was a fun movie to watch.

Back to top Go down

Movie recos Empty Re: Movie recos

Post by FluteHolder Sun May 07, 2017 1:59 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059729/

The Slender Thread

It was kind of interesting to see the technology/telephone exchange in 1965 and how they trace the calls and send police/emergency services. It is about a suicide hotline being attended by Sidney Poitier and how he manages his first ever call..

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 07, 2017 2:17 pm

kinnera wrote:
6. YZ: A marathi movie again! It's about a clumsy, low self-esteemed bachelor in his mid-thirties who is desperate to get married. He moves to a bigger city, tries to change himself, meets the girls and all, but ultimately with his new self-discovery, takes an altogether different path. A watchable movie. It's good. 
Almost the same kind of self-realization as Kalki's in Margarita...

One more movie to watch: Eega/Makkhi: This movie needs to be watched only in theaters to enjoy the superior visual and sound effects, which is what makes this movie an awesome one. I don't know how it'd be to watch it on tv or on a computer screen. You will definitely not get the experience of watching it in a theater. The main protagonist of the movie is, believe it or not, a housefly, as the name of the movie suggests. Who the hell would conceive an idea with a housefly as the main character, spend two years making the movie, have the audience come to the theaters, buy tickets to watch it and have them glued to their seats for 2 1/2 hours? Only a creative director who has a lot of guts and confidence in himself can do it. He did it and that's Rajamouli. 

I raved about this movie here back when I watched it the theater and was very impressed by it. So did my boys who thought is was brilliant and technically too good to be an indian movie. But someone, who probably watched it at home, pooh poohed it. In any case, one has to be an idiot to not appreciate this movie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks for the reco, Flute!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down