Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Straight Up

2 posters

Go down

Straight Up Empty Straight Up

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:42 am

There's a new Straight Up hip-hop version of this song. Daughter's fave. I was telling her that's it's from Paula Abdul's old one. She could not believe that there were 'cool' songs in our times too.

Anyway, found this today. Had recorded this song on my VCR, and used to watch it often. Funny how other hidden memories come about from listening/watching old songs.

Back to top Go down

Straight Up Empty Re: Straight Up

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:52 am

Tracy,

Nice song..

Thanks for rekindling Paula memories..she is a good tap dancer..not to mention cute! But, she seemed to be high, drunk or plain foolish as one of the judges in dance contests!

My fav. Paula song.."Opposites attract"..
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:05 am

G1 Maria. Enjoyed the video, had not seen it before. Man, I am missing the 80s. So much different and fun. And now that you think, kinda innocent and vulnerable too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:16 am

Glad you liked it Tracy.

Think anyone who has felt that "complete opposites can attract" can relate to this one and its thrills!

True, the past..can't recreate it. But, aging isn't so bad (or as bad as I thought)..as long as we have some sense of wonder, curiosity and not become too cynical..mostly be around people who appreciate it and don't suck/drain all the joy with cynicism/sourness..each era..has it's own fun, imo.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 am

Oh, wasn't talking just about myself. Ofcourse *I* was innocent at the time, but I think overall too it was an innocent and vulnerable decade.

Was watching 'The Dirty Picture', and realized how come up until 60s, 70s, 80s, you saw just big misfortunes among actors. But people wisened up about money 90s and on. Except for a rare model gone broke, I don't remember anyone else in this century.

Same goes for self-destructing drugs behaviour, not to forget AIDS onsalught, new confusion about homosexuality, and coming-out-of-closet public persecutions/acceptance.

80s was unique in many many ways.

Guess, what I am doing is also normal. Maybe 20 years from now, people will look at our era and say how naive we were about stocks and real estate. But still, when it comes to personal choices, things seem more innocent back then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:56 am

Tracy,

My responses are in general (as they are meant to be), unless they are directed to someone or has a specific mention. There is no question that the 80s was an unique decade with many turning points!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:01 am

It's all there now too, but just seem to be in control. Atleast doesn't look like they are living like paupers.

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:49 am

every period of time is unique...

always nice to look forward ..and like Maria S. says

retain one's sense of wonder and discovery

hello Maria Smile
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Hello Chameli!

Nice to meet you! And you remind of an old friend from a different place and time-Tineka (in a good way!)

If I am right..hello again:)!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Maria S wrote:Hello Chameli!

Nice to meet you! And you remind of an old friend from a different place and time-Tineka (in a good way!)

If I am right..hello again:)!

no no I have been asked if I was aa many times . nor am I Tineka

I said hello to you recognizing that you are new here

hello
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:25 pm

In that case, my apologies Chameli, thanks for the hello.

Yes, I am new here:) Always nice to meet new people Smile!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down