Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twice As Many Americans Think Confederate Monuments “Should Remain In All Public Spaces” ..

2 posters

Go down

Twice As Many Americans Think Confederate Monuments “Should Remain In All Public Spaces” .. Empty Twice As Many Americans Think Confederate Monuments “Should Remain In All Public Spaces” ..

Post by silvermani Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:00 am

How racist!  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-protests-poll-idUSKCN1B12EG
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Twice As Many Americans Think Confederate Monuments “Should Remain In All Public Spaces” .. Empty Re: Twice As Many Americans Think Confederate Monuments “Should Remain In All Public Spaces” ..

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:25 am

I think they should keep the statues with an explanation on their roles in confederacy so that people will have an accurate view of history.

Oxford has a statue of Cecil Rhodes who was a racist when in S Africa. They have a long debate on whether to remove his statue but it is still there (he gave a lot of money to Oxford).

You can say that Gandhi was a racist. He once expressed the view that Africans were inferior to Indians! So, should we remove his statues (in my view, there are too many statues in India creating inconvenience for common man)? I don't think so. His good work outweighs his less than acceptable views.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Twice As Many Americans Think Confederate Monuments “Should Remain In All Public Spaces” .. Empty Re: Twice As Many Americans Think Confederate Monuments “Should Remain In All Public Spaces” ..

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:42 am

In the US, the original Rockefeller, Carnegie, Vanderbilt, Stanford, etc., did not have acceptable attitudes toward people. But, they built great universities. I don't think their names should be removed from the universities......

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:30 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:I think they should keep the statues with an explanation on their roles in confederacy so that people will have an accurate view of history.

Oxford has a statue of Cecil Rhodes who was a racist when in S Africa. They have a long debate on whether to remove his statue but it is still there (he gave a lot of money to Oxford).

You can say that Gandhi was a racist. He once expressed the view that Africans were inferior to Indians! So, should we remove his statues (in my view, there are too many statues in India creating inconvenience for common man)? I don't think so. His good work outweighs his less than acceptable views.

Well said. The media is playing the crowds like a flute and whipping up mass hysteria.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down