Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Help: Need reco for Website/Brand for violin. Any tips appreciated..

3 posters

Go down

Need Help: Need reco for  Website/Brand for violin. Any tips appreciated..  Empty Need Help: Need reco for Website/Brand for violin. Any tips appreciated..

Post by FluteHolder Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:20 am

Trying to buy violin for kid. It is kind of difficult to trust the local shoppers who claim the violins are made in Europe while all looks same as cheap Chinese ones. 

Anyone bought violins online or from  a reputed store?

Any good brand/website recommended?  What is the reasonable $ range for a good violin? 

I hear the violins are differently tuned/stringed for Western and Indian (Carnatic). I may need to buy 1 for western and 1 for Indian Carnatic.

TIA

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Need Help: Need reco for  Website/Brand for violin. Any tips appreciated..  Empty Re: Need Help: Need reco for Website/Brand for violin. Any tips appreciated..

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:00 am

FluteHolder wrote:Trying to buy violin for kid. It is kind of difficult to trust the local shoppers who claim the violins are made in Europe while all looks same as cheap Chinese ones. 

Anyone bought violins online or from  a reputed store?

Any good brand/website recommended?  What is the reasonable $ range for a good violin? 

I hear the violins are differently tuned/stringed for Western and Indian (Carnatic). I may need to buy 1 for western and 1 for Indian Carnatic.

TIA

Yes, the violins in India are a bit different from those outside (including Canada). Try buying one from a reputed music store. As for the price range, you can buy a good violin for a school kid in $300 range. I had done the investigation when my daughter started playing violin in school in Canada long ago.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Need Help: Need reco for  Website/Brand for violin. Any tips appreciated..  Empty Re: Need Help: Need reco for Website/Brand for violin. Any tips appreciated..

Post by FluteHolder Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks. I went to a store highly recommended by few friends who bought and the owner showed me ranging from 420$ to 1500$ (Chinese made from 400+ to 1000+ and above 1500+ for European made). And he was giving the prices just like that without looking into any serial numbers and some of them came with/without accessories (no uniformity). He gave some names of the manufacturers which I could not find in internet (either he is lying or gave wrong names intentionally).

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:33 pm

I just telephoned Long & McQuade Music Store in Toronto at 416 - 588 -7886 (long distance:  1 855-588-6519) and talked to a salesgirl in the band dept. The price range in Canadian dollars on student violins according to her is as follows, 

(1) Stentore (China) -- C$199.00
(2) Carleton (Romania)   -- C$495.00
(3) Schoenbach (Chech) -- C$595.00
(4) Yamaha (Japan) -- C$599.99

P.S.:  The size of violin depends on the physical characteristics (height etc.) of the student even though the price is more or less same for different sizes. The salesgirl needs to take a look at the child before recommending the particular size violin.

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:11 pm

Thanks a lot Sevaji for taking time to call and find info. I appreciate it very much. I will give them a call and find more info. My requirement is a full size (4/4).

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:23 am

Hi FH - My daughter learning violin for years. The "teacher" is the best violin, in my experience. What I mean is, what the teacher feels best is the best for a student. I could share what she uses, its from a specialized local music store - monthly payment of about $35 for a violin which I think is worth about $900, but the size changes over time. I simply trust the teacher.

Not sure if it helps, but my limited experience.

Regards,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down