Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012

2 posters

Go down

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 Empty Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:20 am

1.They were known for being great maritime traders across the Mediterranean region. Their name means purple in Greek and originates from their monopoly on the trade of a reddish-purple dye used for royal clothing. They are also known for the spread of the alphabet upon which most modern alphabets are derived.

2. This was invented in the late nineteenth century and over time, got its popular name from the below two coins because of its resemblance to them.

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 Pf11

3. This is a famous Life magazine photograph taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt on Aug 14, 1945, shot at Times Square. He said “I was walking through the crowds looking for pictures. I noticed a sailor coming my way. He was grabbing every female he could find and kissing them all — young girls and old ladies alike. Then I noticed the nurse, standing in that enormous crowd. I focused on her, and just as I'd hoped, the sailor came along, grabbed the nurse, and bent down to kiss her. Now if this girl hadn't been a nurse, if she'd been dressed dark clothes, I wouldn't have had a picture. The contrast between her white dress and the sailor's dark uniform gives the photograph its extra impact.” What day was this?

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 220px-Legendary_kiss_V%E2%80%93J_day_in_Times_Square_Alfred_Eisenstaedt

4. The name of this city is derived from an old world word meaning “monk” because it were the monks of the Benedictine order who founded the city. A monk is depicted in the city’s coat of arms.

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 Munich-coat-arms

5. For many years, students and scholars in Princeton have seen a ghostly, silent figure shuffling around the corridors of the math and physics building wearing purple sneakers and occasionally writing numerology treatises on the blackboards. They called him the "Phantom of Fine Hall". Who is this?

6. Differences in temperature, water density and speed causes the following phenomenon- two rivers go side by side without mixing for nearly 6 kms. Name the term used to describe this, the country and the rivers.

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 P242849-Manaus-Meeting_of_the_waters

7. The salver, which is made of sterling silver, partly gilded, is 18 3/4 inches in diameter. There is a central boss surrounded by four reserves. The theme of the decoration is mythological. The central boss has a figure of Temperance, seated on a chest with a lamp in her right hand and a jug in her left, with various attributes such as a sickle, fork and caduceus around her. The four reserves on the boss of the dish each contain a classical god, together with elements. The reserves around the rim show Minerva presiding over the seven liberal arts: astrology, geometry, arithmetic, music, rhetoric, dialectic and grammar, each with relevant attribute. The rim of the salver has an ovolo moulding. What is this better known as?

8. Bagheera kiplingi is a species found in Central America B. kiplingi is notable for a peculiar diet for its species, being mostly herbivorous. The genus name is derived from Bagheera, the black panther from Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book, with the species name honoring Kipling himself. What kind of creature is this?

9. Between 1348 and 1359 the Black Death wiped out an estimated 30% of Europe's population, as well as a significant percentage of Asia's population. As a measure to prevent the spread of plague, the city of Dubrovnik, Croatia, required that ships and people had to be kept for forty days in a restricted location waiting to see whether the symptoms of plague would develop. What English word originates from this period of restriction?

10. This ship whose name translates to “short chemise” was named after a fictional character Nannie Dee in Robert Burns’ poem Tam o’Shanter. She is also represented as the ship's figurehead, a stark white carving of a bare-breasted woman with long black hair holding a grey horse's tail in her hand. It is also the name of a famous whiskey brand.

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 Empty Re: Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012

Post by charvaka Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:24 am

blabberwock wrote:1.They were known for being great maritime traders across the Mediterranean region. Their name means purple in Greek and originates from their monopoly on the trade of a reddish-purple dye used for royal clothing. They are also known for the spread of the alphabet upon which most modern alphabets are derived.
Phoenicians.

blabberwock wrote:2. This was invented in the late nineteenth century and over time, got its popular name from the below two coins because of its resemblance to them.

Pennyfarthing, a bicycle with unequally sized wheels.

blabberwock wrote:3. This is a famous Life magazine photograph taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt on Aug 14, 1945, shot at Times Square. He said “I was walking through the crowds looking for pictures. I noticed a sailor coming my way. He was grabbing every female he could find and kissing them all — young girls and old ladies alike. Then I noticed the nurse, standing in that enormous crowd. I focused on her, and just as I'd hoped, the sailor came along, grabbed the nurse, and bent down to kiss her. Now if this girl hadn't been a nurse, if she'd been dressed dark clothes, I wouldn't have had a picture. The contrast between her white dress and the sailor's dark uniform gives the photograph its extra impact.” What day was this?

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 220px-Legendary_kiss_V%E2%80%93J_day_in_Times_Square_Alfred_Eisenstaedt
End of WWII, Victory Day.

blabberwock wrote:4. The name of this city is derived from an old world word meaning “monk” because it were the monks of the Benedictine order who founded the city. A monk is depicted in the city’s coat of arms.

Munchen, Munich.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 Empty Re: Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012

Post by charvaka Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:29 am

blabberwock wrote:5. For many years, students and scholars in Princeton have seen a ghostly, silent figure shuffling around the corridors of the math and physics building wearing purple sneakers and occasionally writing numerology treatises on the blackboards. They called him the "Phantom of Fine Hall". Who is this?
John Nash?

blabberwock wrote:6. Differences in temperature, water density and speed causes the following phenomenon- two rivers go side by side without mixing for nearly 6 kms. Name the term used to describe this, the country and the rivers.

One of the rivers is the Amazon, the other a tributary. Country is Brazil. This is a tourist attraction, and the picture appears in the Lonely Planet guide to Brazil.

blabberwock wrote:7. The salver, which is made of sterling silver, partly gilded, is 18 3/4 inches in diameter. There is a central boss surrounded by four reserves. The theme of the decoration is mythological. The central boss has a figure of Temperance, seated on a chest with a lamp in her right hand and a jug in her left, with various attributes such as a sickle, fork and caduceus around her. The four reserves on the boss of the dish each contain a classical god, together with elements. The reserves around the rim show Minerva presiding over the seven liberal arts: astrology, geometry, arithmetic, music, rhetoric, dialectic and grammar, each with relevant attribute. The rim of the salver has an ovolo moulding. What is this better known as?
The pound sterling?

blabberwock wrote:8. Bagheera kiplingi is a species found in Central America B. kiplingi is notable for a peculiar diet for its species, being mostly herbivorous. The genus name is derived from Bagheera, the black panther from Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book, with the species name honoring Kipling himself. What kind of creature is this?
cat?

blabberwock wrote:9. Between 1348 and 1359 the Black Death wiped out an estimated 30% of Europe's population, as well as a significant percentage of Asia's population. As a measure to prevent the spread of plague, the city of Dubrovnik, Croatia, required that ships and people had to be kept for forty days in a restricted location waiting to see whether the symptoms of plague would develop. What English word originates from this period of restriction?
quarantine, from the Latin for forty.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:53 am

blabberwock wrote:1.They were known for being great maritime traders across the Mediterranean region. Their name means purple in Greek and originates from their monopoly on the trade of a reddish-purple dye used for royal clothing. They are also known for the spread of the alphabet upon which most modern alphabets are derived.

>>>>Phoenicians

2. This was invented in the late nineteenth century and over time, got its popular name from the below two coins because of its resemblance to them.

>>>>shilling?

3. This is a famous Life magazine photograph taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt on Aug 14, 1945, shot at Times Square. He said “I was walking through the crowds looking for pictures. I noticed a sailor coming my way. He was grabbing every female he could find and kissing them all — young girls and old ladies alike. Then I noticed the nurse, standing in that enormous crowd. I focused on her, and just as I'd hoped, the sailor came along, grabbed the nurse, and bent down to kiss her. Now if this girl hadn't been a nurse, if she'd been dressed dark clothes, I wouldn't have had a picture. The contrast between her white dress and the sailor's dark uniform gives the photograph its extra impact.” What day was this?

>>>>The day the war was officially over

4. The name of this city is derived from an old world word meaning “monk” because it were the monks of the Benedictine order who founded the city. A monk is depicted in the city’s coat of arms.

5. For many years, students and scholars in Princeton have seen a ghostly, silent figure shuffling around the corridors of the math and physics building wearing purple sneakers and occasionally writing numerology treatises on the blackboards. They called him the "Phantom of Fine Hall". Who is this?

>>>>>Einstein

6. Differences in temperature, water density and speed causes the following phenomenon- two rivers go side by side without mixing for nearly 6 kms. Name the term used to describe this, the country and the rivers.

9. Between 1348 and 1359 the Black Death wiped out an estimated 30% of Europe's population, as well as a significant percentage of Asia's population. As a measure to prevent the spread of plague, the city of Dubrovnik, Croatia, required that ships and people had to be kept for forty days in a restricted location waiting to see whether the symptoms of plague would develop. What English word originates from this period of restriction?

>>>>Quarantine

10. This ship whose name translates to “short chemise” was named after a fictional character Nannie Dee in Robert Burns’ poem Tam o’Shanter. She is also represented as the ship's figurehead, a stark white carving of a bare-breasted woman with long black hair holding a grey horse's tail in her hand. It is also the name of a famous whiskey brand.

>>>Cutty sark?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 am

girls and old ladies alike. Then I noticed the nurse, standing in that enormous crowd. I focused on her, and just as I'd hoped, the sailor came along, grabbed the nurse, and bent down to kiss her. Now if this girl hadn't been a nurse, if she'd been dressed dark clothes, I wouldn't have had a picture. The contrast between her white dress and the sailor's dark uniform gives the photograph its extra impact.” What day was this?

>>>>The day the war was over- was that V-E day?

>>>Munich?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:32 am

blabberwock wrote:7. The salver, which is made of sterling silver, partly gilded, is 18 3/4 inches in diameter. There is a central boss surrounded by four reserves. The theme of the decoration is mythological. The central boss has a figure of Temperance, seated on a chest with a lamp in her right hand and a jug in her left, with various attributes such as a sickle, fork and caduceus around her. The four reserves on the boss of the dish each contain a classical god, together with elements. The reserves around the rim show Minerva presiding over the seven liberal arts: astrology, geometry, arithmetic, music, rhetoric, dialectic and grammar, each with relevant attribute. The rim of the salver has an ovolo moulding. What is this better known as?
Just read this again. At 18 3/4 inches, it can't be a coin. It must be a trophy or honor plaque of some sort. Perhaps the thing they give to Nobel laureates along with the medal?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:50 am

#7 and #8 remain.

For #3, I forgot to remove the date from the description making it rather too obvious.

#6 is not fully answered either though charvaka has got the location identified. What about the term used to describe it?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:58 am

blabberwock wrote:#7 and #8 remain.

For #3, I forgot to remove the date from the description making it rather too obvious.

#6 is not fully answered either though charvaka has got the location identified. What about the term used to describe it?
#3 is V-J day, when Japan surrendered to the Allies.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:13 am

charvaka wrote:

>>> I thought it was VE day for victory in Europe. Looks like the kiss happened in NY.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:44 am

Kris wrote:
charvaka wrote:

>>> I thought it was VE day for victory in Europe. Looks like the kiss happened in NY.
V-E DAy was in May after Berlin fell... May 2nd I think. V-J Day was when Japan surrendered, a few days after Nagasaki.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 Empty Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 02, 2012 - ANSWERS

Post by Guest Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:21 am

1.They were known for being great maritime traders across the Mediterranean region. Their name means purple in Greek and originates from their monopoly on the trade of a reddish-purple dye used for royal clothing. They are also known for the spread of the alphabet upon which most modern alphabets are derived.

Phoenicians

Penny-Farthing Bicycle

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 PennyFarthing

V-J day aka Victory-Japan Day.

MUNICH

JOHN NASH

The "meeting of waters" - confluence between the Rio Negro a river with dark (almost black coloured) water, and the sandy-coloured Amazon River or Rio Solimoes, as it is known the upper section of the Amazon in Brazil. For 6 km (3.7 mi) the river's waters run side by side without mixing.

7. The salver, which is made of sterling silver, partly gilded, is 18 3/4 inches in diameter. There is a central boss surrounded by four reserves. The theme of the decoration is mythological. The central boss has a figure of Temperance, seated on a chest with a lamp in her right hand and a jug in her left, with various attributes such as a sickle, fork and caduceus around her. The four reserves on the boss of the dish each contain a classical god, together with elements. The reserves around the rim show Minerva presiding over the seven liberal arts: astrology, geometry, arithmetic, music, rhetoric, dialectic and grammar, each with relevant attribute. The rim of the salver has an ovolo moulding. What is this better known as?

The Venus Rosewater Dish given to the Women's singles champion at Wimbledon

Wednesday Trivia #11 - Feb 01, 2012 Z

8. Bagheera kiplingi is a species found in Central America B. kiplingi is notable for a peculiar diet for its species, being mostly herbivorous. The genus name is derived from Bagheera, the black panther from Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book, with the species name honoring Kipling himself. What kind of creature is this?

It's a vegetarian, flying spider!

'Quarantine' from the Venetian dialect form of the Italian quaranta giorni, meaning 'forty days'

The Cutty Sark, buillt in 1869 and now preserved in Greenwich.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down