Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

world best food

Go down

world best food Empty world best food

Post by Guest Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:04 pm

i am hungry...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/world-best-food-dishes/index.html

Back to top Go down

world best food Empty Re: world best food

Post by Guest Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:50 pm

You are hungry and I am on a diet. After quitting booze and tobacco, I thought there was nothing in the universe that I could not do -- until I tried losing weight. How do people lose weight? It seems impossible. To debunk myths, these are the things that DO NOT work: exercise, cutting carbs, no snacking, cutting sugar, interval training, stopping eating out. 

The list of top 50 you cite does not do justice. Most are junk or ordinary food. Dosa at number 2... well I might have liked that a year or so ago, but, of late, I find dosas extraordinarily bland. Some really top class dishes are missing there, like tadka dal, phulka, alu gobi, onion tomato kheera kuchumbar, palak paneer and dalia. And maybe butter garlic crab from that photo gallery?

What are the interesting dishes you ate lately?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:45 pm

OnePlus5t wrote:You are hungry and I am on a diet. After quitting booze and tobacco, I thought there was nothing in the universe that I could not do -- until I tried losing weight. How do people lose weight? It seems impossible. To debunk myths, these are the things that DO NOT work: exercise, cutting carbs, no snacking, cutting sugar, interval training, stopping eating out. 

The list of top 50 you cite does not do justice. Most are junk or ordinary food. Dosa at number 2... well I might have liked that a year or so ago, but, of late, I find dosas extraordinarily bland. Some really top class dishes are missing there, like tadka dal, phulka, alu gobi, onion tomato kheera kuchumbar, palak paneer and dalia. And maybe butter garlic crab from that photo gallery?

What are the interesting dishes you ate lately?

sigh i am at my highest weight rn. this was how much i weighed right before and right after i was pg with son. I never thought i will ever see this number again. I have gained 10 lbs since October, and probably 15 in over 1 year. I know the cause of it. It is simple, I eat a lot. The problem is, i am not able to control it. I vow to watch my eating, and then i go ahead and buy this. Then i demolish that bag in 2 weeks, coz no one else at home likes dark chocolate. And all my earlier tricks are not working any more. Earlier i could easily lost 2-3 lbs in 10 days. Now it budges maybe half a pound, before climbing up again.

But since last week i have restarted my efforts, armed with new gyaan, and am down by 2 lbs. but that means NOTHING until i am down by 8 lbs. Only then will i be able to call it a substantial success, coz i have lost and gained back 4 lbs many times in last year. Let's see. If it works, i will share the gyaan here.

Besides, i have a money reasons to shape up before summer. I have vowed not to buy any new clothes this year. Most of my summer clothes are from 2016 when I was 17 lbs lighter. Last year i was 10 lbs lighter, and 2016 clothes didn't look good on me, so I bought a lot of new clothes that just about fit me. Now, NONE of those will fit me. So unless I want to sport a tight tee that rides up my belly, i need to shape up. There is no way I am going to spend more money this year.

"What are the interesting dishes you ate lately?"

some thai stuff. I liked paella from the list above. I still relish masala dosa on some days, but it gots to have sambhars.

But the one thing son and i are hooked on currently is - https://such.forumotion.com/t45112-zucchini-noodles
I got this from TJ's and it's been a weekly special for us ever since, basically every time i make a trip to TJ's. XH and d'ter both turn their noses at it, but son and i relish it, which works coz one box is sufficient for only 2 people. I once got it from Whole Foods too, but I didn't like that one, and son left it as-it-is in his lunch box. So only TJ's work for us. However, I have a couple of classmates who make these at home fresh. It's a really good substitute for spaghetti/wheat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:15 pm

rasavada wrote:But the one thing son and i are hooked on currently is - https://such.forumotion.com/t45112-zucchini-noodles
I got this from TJ's and it's been a weekly special for us ever since, basically every time i make a trip to TJ's. XH and d'ter both turn their noses at it, but son and i relish it, which works coz one box is sufficient for only 2 people. I once got it from Whole Foods too, but I didn't like that one, and son left it as-it-is in his lunch box. So only TJ's work for us. However, I have a couple of classmates who make these at home fresh. It's a really good substitute for spaghetti/wheat.

Zucchini pasta is interesting stuff. I'll see if I can find it here. My lunch is mixed veggies and 100 gms paneer, all tossed into mixie and shredded. That's my rice to be eaten with dal. I don't eat carbs except for dinner (dalia). I turned non veg last year but could not sustain it for more than a few months. So I am back to ghas phoos (which I love). I don't think I'll try paela for I don't particularly relish sea food and I don't think it could be better than biryani.

sigh i am at my highest weight rn. this was how much i weighed right before and right after i was pg with son. I never thought i will ever see this number again. I have gained 10 lbs since October, and probably 15 in over 1 year. I know the cause of it. It is simple, I eat a lot. The problem is, i am not able to control it. I vow to watch my eating, and then i go ahead and buy this. Then i demolish that bag in 2 weeks, coz no one else at home likes dark chocolate. And all my earlier tricks are not working any more. Earlier i could easily lost 2-3 lbs in 10 days. Now it budges maybe half a pound, before climbing up again.

But since last week i have restarted my efforts, armed with new gyaan, and am down by 2 lbs, but that means NOTHING until i am down by 8 lbs. Only then will i be able to call it a substantial success, ciz i had lost and gained back 4 lbs many times in last year. Let's see. If it works, i will share the gyaan here.

Besides, i have a money reasons to shape up before summer. I have vowed not to buy any new clothes this year. Most of my summer clothes are from 2016 when I was 17 lbs lighter. Last year i was 10 lbs lighter, and 2016 clothes didn't look good on me, so I bought a lot of new clothes that just about fit me. Now, NONE of those will fit me. So unless I want to sport a tight tee that rides up my belly, i need to shape up. There is no way I am going to spend more money this year. 

I too find it hard to control how much I eat, even though I am able to control the frequency of my eating (only 2 meals with no snacks). I thought my taste buds had improved after I got clean and so I allowed myself to eat more but now I see I have a problem that I can't fix. I feel weak and inadequate and a loser in life. I never knew controlling calories was so difficult. Wasn't food made to be eaten? If it was, then why can't I eat it? Others are eating kachoris and samosas all the time and look at them -- they are thin as a stalk and hardly exercise! I don't know but this weight loss business baffles me more than the deep mysteries of the universe. Maybe it is all in the mind. Maybe just by concentrating hard enough, I could raise my kundalini to lose weight. 

Anyway, give yourself two months; and if you end up buying new clothes after that, send me your old ones for I am determined as hell to lose weight, and would have by then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 pm

paella comes in all varieties - chicken, seafood, veg, mixed... it's basically a style of cooking with rice. This was our staple when we went to Barcelona. Was great everytime.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:49 pm

i know some people who replaced roti with daal cheela, and showed great initial results. I would do that too if i had someone making those for me daily, lol. Your approach is similar.

but many days now, i give a skip to roti.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:00 pm

rasāsvāda wrote:i know some people who replaced roti with daal cheela, and showed great initial results. I would do that too if i had someone making those for me daily, lol. Your approach is similar.

but many days now, i give a skip to roti.

I did try something similar. But my wife's nutritionist told me that substituting carbs with dal was pointless for it was more or less the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Interval fasting. It works. Get three square meals between 9 AM and 6.30 PM and nothing after 6:30 PM.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:55 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Interval fasting. It works. Get three square meals between 9 AM and 6.30 PM and nothing after 6:30 PM.

yeah i have had reasonable success with that in the past, and am sorta trying that again now. One of my biggest issues are snacking after dinner, so that's what i am controlling right now. Another thing i am adding on to it now is 'exercising on empty'. As in, moderate exercising on empty stomach for 30 minutes, and then wait 30 minutes before you eat. I have learned that this method also works if you do that before any meal, it curbs your appetite somehow. Basically, now every time I feel hungry, i take it as a trigger to walk. it goes down somewhat, and I don't overeat when i actually eat. I began doing weights and push ups too , but it sprained my chest/shoulder/midriff area, an issue that had happened last year too (actually last year it was coz i was doing a stretching exercise to correct my posture - back hump). Combine that with my heartburn, caused so much pain that now I am seeing a GI to make sure all's right in that part of the region, as in my esophagus is burnt out or what. Anyway, am sticking to squats right now, coz lunges broke my knees. Oh well...

Talking of the chest pain, a funny side story. The first day I had it, I heard Sridevi died of a heart attack. The only thing that kept me sane was that i knew it's coz of pushups/lifting weights and how it happened last year too. So to ease it, what do I do? i took a hot bath!!! Now, next day I hear she actually had a heart attack (this was also unproven later) and THEN drowned in the bath. So next night, I still take a bath, but make sure to prop myself in such a way that I don't drown in case i lose consciousness, lol. I actually dropped my head in all directions to see if my nose/mouth hits water. LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down