Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

सबसे अच्छा दान

3 posters

Go down

सबसे अच्छा दान Empty सबसे अच्छा दान

Post by desi aunty Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:09 pm

sorry it's in hindi only... 
i do a little charity/donation here or there, but hmm, it's either cash or old clothes/book/shoes, rarely nonperishable food. But i guess i will try to do volunteer work in person more. 
What types of donation/charity do folks do?

desi aunty

Back to top Go down

सबसे अच्छा दान Empty Re: सबसे अच्छा दान

Post by Kris Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:44 am

Good for you.
As a somewhat tangential point, I was watching a lecture on Karna. He tells Krishna he had done some good, but is not without blemish. Given that he tells Krishna that the only thing he prays for a giving heart in all his future lives, which he knows he is doomed to live. Krishna is taken aback by this nobility of spirit and tells him it is not enough to have a giving heart. He also needs material to give away. He tells Karna that he will bless him with untold wealth in every life. Karna is the noblest spirit in the entire MB, a veritable Greek tragedy. There is even a story of him being Draupadi’s only true love. Anyway, happy 2023.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:16 pm

Tracy,

Very interesting video story on a proper charity. As the Gita says in Ch. 17 that the charitable giving can be in the sense of Satva, Rajas and Tamas, with the highest category charity (in Satvik quality) only for the  truly needy / deserving and without expecting anything in return from them. Moreover, according to the Gita, your work (including charity) need not become an undue / unbearable burden (torture) on you -- because if you enforce pain and suffering on yourself in an activity undertaken by you, that is like torturing someone else (in this case, yourself)  due to your actions. 

Have a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year (2023)! 
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum