Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many of the fruit we regard as Indian were all imports

2 posters

Go down

Many of the fruit we regard as Indian were all imports Empty Many of the fruit we regard as Indian were all imports

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:49 pm

http://virsanghvi.com/vir-world-ArticleDetail.aspx?ID=427

Back to top Go down

Many of the fruit we regard as Indian were all imports Empty Re: Many of the fruit we regard as Indian were all imports

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:15 pm

How many times I have to tell you. India is not a country. Never was until British created it for administrative ease.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Many of the fruit we regard as Indian were all imports Empty Re: Many of the fruit we regard as Indian were all imports

Post by MulaiAzhagi Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:How many times I have to tell you. India is not a country. Never was until British created it for administrative ease.

===> Neither was Iraq and so many other countries in the world.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:How many times I have to tell you. India is not a country. Never was until British created it for administrative ease.

--> i disagree. Politically, it was not integrated for a long period of time (although at the time of Aurangzeb's death almost of present day India-- and also regions which are no longer in India-- was one political entity), but culturally it was well integrated for thousands of years. a critically important cultural glue was the sanskrit language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:42 pm

===> Neither was Iraq and so many other countries in the world.

AGreed. But now Kurds are almost free. They run their own region and have own military.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:===> Neither was Iraq and so many other countries in the world.

AGreed. But now Kurds are almost free. They run their own region and have own military.

India has been a single cultural entity for thousands of years. Do not run away from this point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:50 pm

>> India has been a single cultural entity for thousands of years. Do not run away from this point.

WRONG. Tamil classics of the first tamil academy always talks of Tamil nadu, tamil people. never as part of anything else. North is always treated as alien even as enemy. When Kuttuvan heard Kanaka and Visayan insulted Tamil kings he sent his army and brought them in chains.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> India has been a single cultural entity for thousands of years. Do not run away from this point.

WRONG. Tamil classics of the first tamil academy always talks of Tamil nadu, tamil people. never as part of anything else. North is always treated as alien even as enemy. When Kuttuvan heard Kanaka and Visayan insulted Tamil kings he sent his army and brought them in chains.

Do you agree that the very first tamil book known to us is the Tolkappiyam. And is it not true that the Tolkappiam talks of hindu gods like Indra and Varuna who were first referred to in the Rig Veda?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 pm

>> And is it not true that the Tolkappiam talks of hindu gods like Indra and Varuna who were first referred to in the Rig Veda?

WRONG. It does not mention Rigveda. Tolkappiam quotes "older wise men/women" and not Rig Veda. It says so say the wise men/women (enmanar pulavar).

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> And is it not true that the Tolkappiam talks of hindu gods like Indra and Varuna who were first referred to in the Rig Veda?

WRONG. It does not mention Rigveda. Tolkappiam quotes "older wise men/women" and not Rig Veda. It says so say the wise men/women (enmanar pulavar).

Tolkappiyam does not quote Rig Veda, but it talks of the Rig Vedic Gods Indra and Varuna.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:24 pm

>> Rig Vedic Gods Indra and Varuna.

Where did you get the idea they are rig veda gods?????

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> Rig Vedic Gods Indra and Varuna.

Because the Rig Veda precedes the Tolkappiyam.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:>> Rig Vedic Gods Indra and Varuna.

Because the Rig Veda precedes the Tolkappiyam.

it is well accepted that the Rig Veda is the most ancient of the all the literary works of ancient India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:34 pm

>> it is well accepted that the Rig Veda is the most ancient of the all the literary works of ancient India.

It dodes not mean inthiran is Vedic god. We know there are Tamil words in Rig Veda

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> it is well accepted that the Rig Veda is the most ancient of the all the literary works of ancient India.

It dodes not mean inthiran is Vedic god. We know there are Tamil proto dravidian words in Rig Veda

Varuna is referred to in Tolkappian as Varunan. It seems to be a clear case of the Tolkappiam making a reference to a Rig Vedic God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:45 pm

thaempaavani praises Jesus. So Jesus is Tamil god and Israel and Tamilnadu are culturally intregrated for 2000 years.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:thaempaavani praises Jesus. So Jesus is Tamil god and Israel and Tamilnadu are culturally intregrated for 2000 years.

The point here is that the Tolkappiam mentions Rig Vedic Gods. For instance, Varuna of Rig Veda becomes Varunan in Tolkappiam.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:51 pm

>> The point here is that the Tolkappiam mentions Rig Vedic Gods. For instance, Varuna of Rig Veda becomes Varunan in Tolkappiam.

How about Varunan in Tamil mutilates to Varuna in Vedic language? Same as Sivan mutilates to Siva.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> The point here is that the Tolkappiam mentions Rig Vedic Gods. For instance, Varuna of Rig Veda becomes Varunan in Tolkappiam.

How about Varunan in Tamil mutilates to Varuna in Vedic language? Same as Sivan mutilates to Siva.

Varunan is a sanskrit origin word as are Sivan and Raman. This is a well accepted fact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 pm

>> Sivan

Sivappu (red) ---- Sivan

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> Sivan

Sivappu (red) ---- Sivan

and what about Raman and Varunan?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Raman is a given name. I don't know Varunan. I do not know everything. I am not a Tamil scholar. I am just a Tamil patriot and Tamil nationalist.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Raman is a given name. I don't know Varunan. I do not know everything. I am not a Tamil scholar. I am just a Tamil patriot and Tamil nationalist.

Rama --> Raman
Varuna --> Varunan
Siva --> Sivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Rashmun posted

Rama --> Raman
Varuna --> Varunan
Siva --> Sivan

Just because you say it that does not become true. I have established that Sivan is a Tamil word (from the word Sivappu - red). Raman is a proper name like George or Jack.

You prove that Varuna is Sanskrit. Show me the etymology. If you cannot, this THREAD IS CLOSED.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:25 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Rashmun posted

Rama --> Raman
Varuna --> Varunan
Siva --> Sivan

Just because you say it that does not become true. I have established that Sivan is a Tamil word (from the word Sivappu - red). Raman is a proper name like George or Jack.

You prove that Varuna is Sanskrit. Show me the etymology. If you cannot, this THREAD IS CLOSED.

Should we accept that Sivan comes from Sivappu because the great linguistic expert KV says so?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 pm

>> Should we accept that Sivan comes from Sivappu because the great linguistic expert KV says so?

I gave you the etymology for Sivan. Thus it is Tamil.

What is the etymology for Varuna? Obviously you don't have one. So we don't know whether Varunan originated in Tamil or Sanskrit or Greek

I never claimed to be an expert. In fact I said so earlier in this thread.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:39 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> Should we accept that Sivan comes from Sivappu because the great linguistic expert KV says so?

I gave you the etymology for Sivan. Thus it is Tamil.

What is the etymology for Varuna? Obviously you don't have one. So we don't know whether Varunan originated in Tamil or Sanskrit or Greek

I never claimed to be an expert. In fact I said so earlier in this thread.

What etymology? Your claim that Sivan comes from Sivappu has no etymological justification whatsoever.

My claim that Sivan comes from Siva is a lot more reasonable. It is similar to how Nakula of Mahabharata became Nagulan in Tamil. Or how Rama became Raman, Varuna became Varunan, and Krishna became Krishnan.

Do you agree that Nagulan comes from Nakula?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Rashmun,

It is obvious thar you do not know what etymology is. So there is no purpose in discussing it with you. It is like talking to a oak tree.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Rashmun,

It is obvious thar you do not know what etymology is. So there is no purpose in discussing it with you. It is like talking to a oak tree.

Etymology does not mean just giving two words and claiming one comes from another. If you think that is what etymology means then you need to do some more studying.

Also, do you agree that Nagulan comes from Nakula (of Mahabharata)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down