Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grossness of wall lizards

+5
Rekz
MaxEntropy_Man
Jeremiah Mburuburu
indophile
Kumarg
9 posters

Go down

Grossness of wall lizards Empty Grossness of wall lizards

Post by Kumarg Thu May 31, 2012 2:18 pm

Disgusting, creepy and gross.

ANY permanent solution?..... except driving them away with a jhadoo as n when spotted. Urgently need help! TIA

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Grossness of wall lizards Empty Re: Grossness of wall lizards

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 2:52 pm

Kumarg wrote:Disgusting, creepy and gross.

ANY permanent solution?..... except driving them away with a jhadoo as n when spotted. Urgently need help! TIA

They freak the hell out me too. Gotta deal with them on my trip to India shortly.

Long ago, I came across a full page ad in the newspaper abt a wall paint that keeps lizards out. Looks like it didn't take off.

Have mosquito mesh to all the windows and even extra mesh doors for all the doors leading outside. Never open them any time. May keep the lizards out for the most part. This is not an urgent solution though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Thu May 31, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks, we are doing exaclty that, covering all entrances. But that will prevent more from coming in, what about those that are 'already' in and hiding god knows where in our rather large house? TIA

(BTW I posted this before, but the post didn't show up)

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2012 4:21 pm

live and let live. and maybe twice a year, mostly while opening a door, get scared by them and in turn scare them enough to shed their tail. that's all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:50 am

kinnera wrote:
Have mosquito mesh to all the windows and even extra mesh doors for all the doors leading outside. Never open them any time. May keep the lizards out for the most part. This is not an urgent solution though.

yes, this is the solution we employ. wire mesh for all windows. thankfully we are house-lizard free in our house! once or twice we spot a baby lizard. operation "seek and destroy" takes care of it. kids don't get freaked out by house-lizards but we do. Sad

Kumarg wrote:Thanks, we are doing exaclty that, covering all entrances. But that will prevent more from coming in, what about those that are 'already' in and hiding god knows where in our rather large house?

call pest control. then install wire meshes wherever there is a window, ventilator or opening. have sliding plastic window doors between the wooden/ply doors that open to the verandah. keep the sliding door shut always. you will be lizard free. aim for lizard-free rooms and bathrooms. you cannot control the whole house.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:26 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: have sliding plastic window doors between the wooden/ply doors that open to the verandah.

sorry. i meant one side wooden/ply, other side plastic sliding/fixed. fixed is better. we have fixed plastic (see-through) doors that open to the verandah. also, wire mesh in windows is of sliding type in our house; so we can slide the shutters open when required.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:26 am

shit, i jinxed myself. just spotted a baby lizard in my room. i knew this was gonna happen! should never have posted in this thread!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:29 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:shit, i jinxed myself. just spotted a baby lizard in my room. i knew this was gonna happen! should never have posted in this thread!

Lol Huzzz! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:31 am

what lol. i am launching a "seek and destroy" mission in my room. bye bye forums for half an hour. i use a pc mostly not laptop, thus...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:17 am

operation success! my good house help tracked it down, chased it, wrapped it in a broom and flung it out of the window. and sprayed hit liberally in the room for added measure. there is an exhaust fan in our bathroom(s) that is connected to a vertical ventilation shaft that opens to the sky on the terrace. it is the only opening that does not have a wire mesh. it will have one tomorrow.

when i was in class 7, in our older house, i had a lizard fall on me. it was a frugal home. there weren't any ACs and a makeshift study room had been constructed for me in the balcony. the study was really only a small room made of asbestos sheet walls and had a corrugated tin roof with no fan. in the summers it would get searingly hot in the room. one such summer i was studying and this creepy, crawly, fat thing landed on my shoulder and scurried across my hand/body at lightning speed and climbed the wall. i freaked out and ran out of the room totally stunned and breathless. my mother asked which side had it fallen on? i said, my left shoulder. that portends good luck was all she had to offer as comfort. the next day or perhaps the day after, i found that i had stood 3rd in class. my mother attributed it to the lizard incident. but i refused to enter that room after that incident and started studying in my father's office. the din and clatter of the office (that doubled as our bedroom in the night) was a small price to pay over the constant fear of having a lizard drop on me from the ceiling. i'd rather be at the bottom of all things than live with lizards to stand 3rd in anything.

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:21 am

i think the superstition is whether it crawls up or down your body. Up being good, down being bad. If the lizard had crawled up to your head, you woulda stood first. Or maybe, woulda been the king of kolkata right now.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

kidding!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:26 am

yeah righttttttttttttttttt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:27 am

Actually, there's a golden lizard (also a silver one) in Kanchi, TN. Whoever touches it will not have any effect of a lizard falling on him/her. I did, when i was in 7th grade. So there won't be any lizard effect on me even when it falls on me, except that I'm going to freak out and have nightmares for a few days Smile.

Some superstitions...,but anyway..

Edit:

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:42 am

Effects of "Lizard Falling" (for a man lizard falling on his thighs leads to loss of clothes, and for a woman - romance:Smile

http://hindupad.com/hindu-astrology/effects-of-lizard-falling-on-body-parts-of-men-and-women-in-hindu-astrology-palli-dosham-or-ballipaatu-dosham/

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:50 am

kinnera wrote:Actually, there's a golden lizard (also a silver one) in Kanchi, TN. Whoever touches it will not have any effect of a lizard falling on him/her. I did, when i was in 7th grade. So there won't be any lizard effect on me even when it falls on me, except that I'm going to freak out and have nightmares for a few days Smile.

Shocked

indophile wrote:Effects of "Lizard Falling" (for a man lizard falling on his thighs leads to loss of clothes, and for a woman - romance:Smile

http://hindupad.com/hindu-astrology/effects-of-lizard-falling-on-body-parts-of-men-and-women-in-hindu-astrology-palli-dosham-or-ballipaatu-dosham/

that site says:

left of the backside: victory/gain

that is almost left shoulder! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:53 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:i think the superstition is whether it crawls up or down your body. Up being good, down being bad. If the lizard had crawled up to your head, you woulda stood first. Or maybe, woulda been the king of kolkata right now.
that lizard falling on his left shoulder brought him so much good fortune that he now eats aloo-gobi and gobi-aloo on alternate days - not everyone has the luxury of that kind of variety - and all the exotic food whose photographs he posts here, including chicken chow mein. the lizard, on the other hand, had had great difficulty escaping from the thicket of shoulder hair in which it had found itself entangled.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:01 am

oh wow at the lizard superstitions... I had made up mine up there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:10 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:operation success! my good house help tracked it down, chased it, wrapped it in a broom and flung it out of the window. and sprayed hit liberally in the room for added measure. there is an exhaust fan in our bathroom(s) that is connected to a vertical ventilation shaft that opens to the sky on the terrace. it is the only opening that does not have a wire mesh. it will have one tomorrow.

when i was in class 7, in our older house, i had a lizard fall on me. it was a frugal home. there weren't any ACs and a makeshift study room had been constructed for me in the balcony. the study was really only a small room made of asbestos sheet walls and had a corrugated tin roof with no fan. in the summers it would get searingly hot in the room. one such summer i was studying and this creepy, crawly, fat thing landed on my shoulder and scurried across my hand/body at lightning speed and climbed the wall. i freaked out and ran out of the room totally stunned and breathless. my mother asked which side had it fallen on? i said, my left shoulder. that portends good luck was all she had to offer as comfort. the next day or perhaps the day after, i found that i had stood 3rd in class. my mother attributed it to the lizard incident. but i refused to enter that room after that incident and started studying in my father's office. the din and clatter of the office (that doubled as our bedroom in the night) was a small price to pay over the constant fear of having a lizard drop on me from the ceiling. i'd rather be at the bottom of all things than live with lizards to stand 3rd in anything.

my own memorable lizard experience. this was in a guest house at kavaratti (lakshwadeep) where we stayed overnight in a guest house after our visit to Bangaram(the main tourist island in Lakshwadeep along with Minicoy).

i was unable to sleep that night and stayed up very late reading a book in the sitting/dining room. and then i noticed this lizard on the wall. i observed it curiously as it sneaked upto a moth and grabbed it between its jaws. and then i watched in fascination the ensuing struggle because the moth refused to be an easy meal and kept flapping its wings and struggling. the lizard tried to hold on to the moth and i recall the swaying movements it made to try and disorient the moth. but the moth kept struggling, and kept flapping its wings, and eventually it got away from the jaws of death. there is a lesson in this for all of us.

Last edited by Rashmun on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 am

one more lizard story -

one of the staff in my father's office, back then, had a rather novel way of catching lizards. he would loosely tie a tobacco leaf (khaini) to the end of a string and dangle it before the lizard with the help of a stick. the lizard would dart for it thinking it to be a bug. in about a minute, the intoxicated lizard would drop to the floor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:15 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:one more lizard story -

one of the staff in my father's office, back then, had a rather novel way of catching lizards. he would loosely tie a tobacco leaf (khaini) to the end of a string and dangle it before the lizard with the help of a stick. the lizard would dart for it thinking it to be a bug. in about a minute, the intoxicated lizard would drop to the floor.

this is amazing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:15 am

Rashmun wrote:i was unable to sleep that night and stayed up very late reading a book in the sitting/dining room. and then i noticed this lizard on the wall. i observed it curiously as it sneaked upto a moth and grabbed it between its jaws. and then i watched in fascination the ensuing struggle because the moth refused to be an easy meal and kept flapping its wings and struggling. the lizard tried to hold on to the moth and i recall the swaying movements it made to try and disorient the moth. but the moth kept struggling and kept flapping its wings, and eventually it got away from the jaws of death. there is a lesson in this for all of us.

oh, wow! never seen a moth or bug get away from the jaws of a lizard. seen plenty flap, stuggle and eventually be swallowed!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:17 am

when we were visiting the andamans a couple of years ago we stayed at the army cantonment area close to the ocean. there were a couple of lizards that showed up every night at the same location on the wall of the verandah overlooking the ocean. and they would make a sort of low frequency chirping noise which i've never heard them make before. they looked like the same species you see on the mainland but boy were they huge! in general all flora and fauna on the andamans seem bigger than on the mainland. i wonder if this is because of less competition for resources.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:28 am

when i was a kid, in our old, old house (older than the one i mention above), the bathroom had a big tub and a western style commode. the commode was a nightmare for me for right above it was the tube light and right around it was a den of lizards. i would spend my time sitting on that commode just looking up at the tube light and praying, hoping, praying. getting over with that morning ritual used to be deliverance for me then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote: i wonder if this is because of less competition for resources.
interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:30 am

lizards don't bother me at all. they are harmless, don't spread disease, and control insect populations.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:37 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:lizards don't bother me at all. they are harmless, don't spread disease, and control insect populations.

At least 44 students of a government school in West Delhi were admitted to a hospital for food poisoning on Saturday morning after they reportedly consumed mid-day meals in which a lizard had fallen.

Police has registered a case of endangering life and safety of others under section 337 of the IPC against the food supplier.

According to officials, 44 students of Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya in West Delhi’s Mohan Garden area were admitted to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital at about 11 am Saturday.

However, none of them were critical and 35 were discharged after treatment by evening.

“A lizard had fallen into the kadhi-chawal while it was being prepared and the students fell ill after consuming it. Most of them complained of stomach-ache and vomiting. A case under section 337 of IPC has been registered and we are investigating the role of the cook and some others,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (West), V. Renganathan.

Police are also probing the role of Reva Sood, the contractor of the school’s mid-day meal scheme, he added.

The incident came to light after the school principal informed the police and took the students to the hospital. Parents of the affected students, however, complained of negligence on the part of school authorities and asserted that they were ‘not even informed’ about the incident.

Sunita, whose daughter Poonam (11) studies in the 6 th standard at the school said she got to know about the contaminated food from her younger daughter who also studies there. “My younger daughter came home and told me about the lizard incident. I did not believe her but when she showed me news reports on TV channels, I rushed to the hospital,” she said.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/lizard-lands-in-midday-meal-sends-44-children-to-hospital/841349/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:37 am

Rashmun wrote:...i noticed this lizard on the wall. i observed it curiously as it sneaked upto a moth and grabbed it between its jaws. and then i watched in fascination the ensuing struggle because the moth refused to be an easy meal and kept flapping its wings and struggling. the lizard tried to hold on to the moth and i recall the swaying movements it made to try and disorient the moth. but the moth kept struggling, and kept flapping its wings, and eventually it got away from the jaws of death. there is a lesson in this for all of us.
here's a chilling sentence i read long ago about a metaphoric moth in arundhati roy's "god of small things": "rahael stopped and turned. and on her heart, a drab moth with unusually dense dorsal tufts, unfurled its predatory wings." the image and the sentence remain in my memory.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:42 am

A friend of mine, a chemical engineer, went back to India about 7 years ago to teach at Madras IIT. The prime reason, other than some job problems here, was to provide the best opportunity for his young daughter to learn music. But the girl (who was born here) was so scared of lizards (and other assorted moving stuff) in the IIT faculty quaters, that the guy had to move back to U.S. at the first opportunity.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Thank you all for sharing your lovely and elaborate lizard stories in response to me asking for a 'solution' (sarcasm alert :-)

Huzafa Kapasi, there is no such thing as "call pest control" in India :-). Yes all windows are meshed, its not possible to have windows that are not meshed in India. But after reading your post I realized that it might be the exhaust fan in the bathroom that is serving as the inlet for these gross things. That cannot be closed. Do you know of any other solutions? Even a 'dadi maan' ka nuskha will work. I read online some people suggesting putting egg shells on the wall- but then where should we put this? Tape it on our bedroom walls or ceiling? Or tape them next to the exhaust fan in the bathrooms? Moreover what is the logic behind it?

Does 'Hit' (that is meant for mosquitoes) actually work on lizards? I guess if I see one I might even srpay it with one of these mosquito sparys, but the point is I want to make sure there is no lizard lurking somewhere when I come back from home. How does one hunt them out of their hiding so that they don't sneak up on me when I am asleep.

Other questions, if there are no mosquitos in my house, will they leave? Or do they eat food stuff too (like vegetables, roti leftover from the trash?).

Do they mark their territory by shitting (like dogs do) and shit/live in a specific area- as in if I spotted them in one bedroom, will that be their fav area- if so I can think of vacating my bedroom and moving to another.

lastly, I am dreading asking this, but will ask anyway- can they climb onto beds?

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Kumarg wrote:Thank you all for sharing your lovely and elaborate lizard stories in response to me asking for a 'solution' (sarcasm alert :-)

Huzafa Kapasi, there is no such thing as "call pest control" in India :-). Yes all windows are meshed, its not possible to have windows that are not meshed in India. But after reading your post I realized that it might be the exhaust fan in the bathroom that is serving as the inlet for these gross things. That cannot be closed. Do you know of any other solutions? Even a 'dadi maan' ka nuskha will work. I read online some people suggesting putting egg shells on the wall- but then where should we put this? Tape it on our bedroom walls or ceiling? Or tape them next to the exhaust fan in the bathrooms? Moreover what is the logic behind it?

Does 'Hit' (that is meant for mosquitoes) actually work on lizards? I guess if I see one I might even srpay it with one of these mosquito sparys, but the point is I want to make sure there is no lizard lurking somewhere when I come back from home. How does one hunt them out of their hiding so that they don't sneak up on me when I am asleep.

Other questions, if there are no mosquitos in my house, will they leave? Or do they eat food stuff too (like vegetables, roti leftover from the trash?).

Do they mark their territory by shitting (like dogs do) and shit/live in a specific area- as in if I spotted them in one bedroom, will that be their fav area- if so I can think of vacating my bedroom and moving to another.

lastly, I am dreading asking this, but will ask anyway- can they climb onto beds?

post script- additional questions,

do they prefer heat over cold? if I blast the AC full on in my bedroom , will they leave and move to the warmer part (ie bathroom, living room for the night?)

Do they prefer light over dark or vice versa? This will decied if I sleep with the light on or not...

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Kumarg wrote:

they can fall on you when u are sleeping on your bed. if they fall on ur head, and climb down, bad luck. if they fall on your feet and climb up, good luck. Alternatively, reverse can happen too. IF you symbolize them as 'trouble', then crawling down means your troubles will go away. crawling up can mean new troubles on your way. Crawling sideways means, well, find if they are going to (or away from) whoever is on that side of you; on the bed, or in the room, or the house, or that neighbor, keep going till u find on whom the trouble has befallen.

Very Happy

Last edited by Natalia Romanova on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Rashmun wrote:

“A lizard had fallen into the kadhi-chawal while it was being prepared and the students fell ill after consuming it. .

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/lizard-lands-in-midday-meal-sends-44-children-to-hospital/841349/

Thanks. That news article really helped me calm my nerves.

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Lizard falls (same results apply to chameleon falls) on various body parts and respective results (original Telugu and translation). It's kind of a mixed bag. No need to go to website if you can't read Telugu (it has lot more than lizard related info such as dreams, who shows up when you are bout to go somewhere, etc.)

http://suryaa.com/main/features/weeklySpecials.asp?Category=8&ContentId=73926

బల్లిపాటు ఫలితాలు
శిరస్సు - కలహం, ముఖం - బంధుత్వం, కనుబొమ్మల నడుమ - రాజానుగ్రహం, పై పెదవి - ధనవ్యయం, క్రింది పెదవి - ధన లాభం, ముక్కు చివర - రోగము, కుడిచెవి - దీర్ఘాయువు, ఎడమ చెవి - వర్తక లాభం, నేత్రములు - ఖైదు, గడ్డము - రాజదండన, నోరు - భయం, కంఠము - శత్రుహాని, కుడి భుజం - ఆరోగ్యం, ఎడమ భుజం - స్ర్తీ సం గమం, కుడి ముంజేయి - కీర్తి, ఎడమ ముం జేయి - రోగం, స్తనయుగ్మము - ధాన్యలా భం, రొమ్ము లేదా నాభి - ధనలాభం, గోళ్ళు - ధనవ్యయం, లింగము - దారిద్య్రము, జు ట్టుకొన - మృత్యువు. ఇలా ఆయా ప్రదేశాల్లో బల్లి పడుట వలన వచ్చే ఫలితాలు. ప్రదే శాలలో తొండ పాకితే కూడా ఇవే ఫలితాలు ఉంటాయి.

Head=fight with somebody; face = develop relations; middle of eyebrows = recognition by king; upper lip = spend money; lower lip = get money; tip of nose = disease; right ear = long life; left ear = business gain; eyes = go to jail; chin = punishment by king; mouth = fear; neck = enemies doing bad things to you; right shoulder = good health; left shoulder = sex with a woman; right hand = reputation; left hand = disease; breasts (either) = gain of grains (wheat/rice); chest or belly button = gain money; nails = spend money; penis = poverty; and end of hair = death. Please be advised that the same results are forecast for chameleon/salamander falls or crawls on your body.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:53 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Rashmun wrote:...i noticed this lizard on the wall. i observed it curiously as it sneaked upto a moth and grabbed it between its jaws. and then i watched in fascination the ensuing struggle because the moth refused to be an easy meal and kept flapping its wings and struggling. the lizard tried to hold on to the moth and i recall the swaying movements it made to try and disorient the moth. but the moth kept struggling, and kept flapping its wings, and eventually it got away from the jaws of death. there is a lesson in this for all of us.
here's a chilling sentence i read long ago about a metaphoric moth in arundhati roy's "god of small things": "rahael stopped and turned. and on her heart, a drab moth with unusually dense dorsal tufts, unfurled its predatory wings." the image and the sentence remain in my memory.

i don't know why roy hasn't written any fiction after GOST. i wish she'd write some more.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Urgent help not sure..

but there are sprays which kills them...

It's available at singapore mustafa mark and also at all some departments stores in KL

egg shells also helps...put it near the windows and on places u last saw them.

In future if u need urgent help...google first then post here Smile
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:39 am

Kumarg wrote:Huzafa Kapasi, there is no such thing as "call pest control" in India :-).

there is. google for pest control agencies in your city.

But after reading your post I realized that it might be the exhaust fan in the bathroom that is serving as the inlet for these gross things. That cannot be closed.

put a wire mesh on the exhaust fan. the wire mesh would be attached to the wall as a covering.

Does 'Hit' (that is meant for mosquitoes) actually work on lizards?

yes! it immobilizes or makes them unconscious. you can pick them with a broom and throw them out of your house.

How does one hunt them out of their hiding so that they don't sneak up on me when I am asleep.

pest control.

absolutely! no bugs or mosquitoes = no house lizards.

they can but they do not when you are sleeping in the bed. sometimes you may walk into your room and see one luxuriating on your bed but they quickly scamper away. often they drop on you from the ceiling.

Kumarg wrote:do they prefer heat over cold? if I blast the AC full on in my bedroom , will they leave and move to the warmer part (ie bathroom, living room for the night?)

i don't know but i have always felt that they avoid AC rooms (probably because it is mostly sealed and they can't get in easily).

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:14 am

kinnera wrote:

They freak the hell out me too. Gotta deal with them on my trip to India shortly.

Long ago, I came across a full page ad in the newspaper abt a wall paint that keeps lizards out. Looks like it didn't take off.

>>>Don't remember being bothered by them in India. Have seen them once in Florida in a motel room and once in bali. My son freaked out in bali. I called the night clerk. He sent some guy who came by and caught it with his hand and walked away. I have a pest control service here. The only problems that I have had are ants/flies in the kitchen and pigeons nesting above the balcony, when we moved into this house. They cr*pped all over the driveway and made a mess. Cost me 500 or a thousand (!) to get rid of them and have some special sealant put on the outside of the house to discourage them.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:55 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:they can but they do not when you are sleeping in the bed.

i mean, unlike rodents, they avoid human contact and will not creep up on you but can invariably fall on you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

i mean, unlike rodents, they avoid human contact and will not creep up on you but can invariably fall on you.
please sir, it's either "they can fall on you," or "they invariably fall on you," not "they can invariably fall on you."

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:02 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

please sir, it's either "they can fall on you," or "they invariably fall on you," not "they can invariably fall on you."

===> FlimFlam,

"can" means possibility of something happening

The adverb "invariably" in this context connotes something happening always.

So "can invariably" is incongruous or contradictory.

Am I correct?

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:30 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

===> FlimFlam,

"can" means possibility of something happening

The adverb "invariably" in this context connotes something happening always.

So "can invariably" is incongruous or contradictory.

Am I correct?
yes, nalla solleeTTunga. "invariably" implies "can," so the latter is entirely unnecessary.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:04 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

thanks JM. i might have corrected it had i reread my post but who knows.

@ mulaiazhagi: it is contradictory to be honest. my phrase should have read, "but can fall on you."

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:24 am

Kumarg wrote:Huzafa Kapasi, there is no such thing as "call pest control" in India :-)
Sir, unless you live in some small town that PCI missed out, you can indeed "call pest control".
Kumarg wrote:lastly, I am dreading asking this, but will ask anyway- can they climb onto beds?
Did you seriously believe a bed presents much of a challenge to a reptile that can effortlessly climb up a vertical wall?? Honestly, you need to urgently grow a pair.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:[Did you seriously believe a bed presents much of a challenge to a reptile that can effortlessly climb up a vertical wall??.

When I said "can", I did not mean to ask if they have the 'ability' to climb a bed. HK understood and answered my question appropriately, they avoid human contact hence 'will not' climb the bed even though they 'can'.

Merlot Daruwala wrote: Honestly, you need to urgently grow a pair.

Coming from a guy who was getting nervous about bed begs and roaches a few days back? :-)

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:36 pm

I don't know I don't find lizards as gross beings. They helped me a lot by being my companion during my school and college days with my night studies. When the clock stuck 12 the one lizard was there to comfort me. I used to say thank you to him/her and it always replied back with "tsch tsch tsch".

They are harmless...even if falls on you.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:55 pm

see, you will never undestand lizards unless you played with the garden lizards when you were a kid. Atleast watch Geico adv.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:03 pm

Sasthi wrote:see, you will never undestand lizards unless you played with the garden lizards when you were a kid. Atleast watch Geico adv.

Exactly how and why would you play with garden lizards?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:

Exactly how and why would you play with garden lizards?

LOL exactly my question :-)

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:47 pm

LOL

Playing as in petting. You catch them, hold them....see you won't get it. EOD.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:21 am

May be a cat might help drive away the lizards (and other assorted critters).

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080630190245AAaUM1p

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down