Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A very Hindi town in Tamil Nadu

3 posters

Go down

A very Hindi town in Tamil Nadu Empty A very Hindi town in Tamil Nadu

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:36 pm

A very Hindi town in Tamil Nadu
Yogesh Kabirdoss

GUMMIDIPOONDI: Native Tamil businessmen in a tiny industrial town in the state, bordering Andhra Pradesh, have become keener on learning Hindi and Odia. Shopkeepers now ensure their stores’ names are displayed in Hindi as well. Thanks to Gummidipoondi steel plants’ growing labour demand, the town, situated about 50 km north of Chennai, has seen recent a spurt in the number of migrants from Odisha.

Keeping in mind the 15,000 odd strong population from Bihar, West Bengal and Odisha, shops here have begun selling DVDs of recent Odia movies and mobile phone memory cards that have the latest Ollywood earworms.

Gummidipoondi’s Odisha connection dates back to over two decades with the establishment of heavy industries here in the late 1980’s. Steel plants started attracting hard-working labourers from remote villages in Odisha, opening the doors for large-scale migration.

“Cashing in on the migrants, many small accommodation facilities for labourers spruced up. We are even thinking of starting an association for migrant labourers who are subjected to exploitation,” said K K Dhalay, a shopkeeper from Odisha and a resident of Gummidipoondi for over 20 years. Over 300 people from Gummidipoondi participated in the Utkal Divas celebrations in Chennai recently, he proudly added.

“We are trying to familiarise ourselves with Hindi to communicate with people from north India. I can speak basic Hindi words like ek, dho, theen (one, two, three) and pani (water),” said Ravichandran, who runs a pharmacy on G N T road. Stores here even sell Hindi magazines and varieties of paan.

http://expressbuzz.com/thesundaystandard/a-very-hindi-town-in-tamil-nadu/393391.html

Back to top Go down

A very Hindi town in Tamil Nadu Empty Re: A very Hindi town in Tamil Nadu

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:10 pm

CHENNAI: Efforts need to be taken to strengthen Hindi as a common language across India, even as many languages continue to flourish unhindered, said Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah said. Speaking at the World Hindi Day celebrations at a function at the Raj Bhavan, Rosaiah said the bond of national unity could be strengthened only through a common language.

“When we see the history of the evolution of Indian languages, all letters belong to two families. One is the Aryan family and the other is the Dravidian family. Each and every language plays its own role in the composite culture of our country and there should be no competition between languages,” said the Governor. “Along with the growth of regional language, we need a common language for facilitating free and easy inter communication,” he added.

“The spirit of human feeling is one and it is the same in any language it is expressed. We need to strengthen this bond of unity. The unity of India lies in the art, music, drama and in languages of our country,” Rosaiah said.

The sixth World Hindi Day celebrations were organised by the Tamil Nadu Hindi Academy in association with the Dharmamurthi Rao Bahadur Calavala Cunnan Chetty Hindu College. Even as the programme was conducted entirely in Hindi, it stuck to protocol and began with the Tamil Thaai Vazhthu, with many of the Hindi scholars present singing the official State song.

Rosaiah, who is known to be fluent in a number of languages, chose to address the gathering in English, instead of Hindi.

“More and more people are learning Hindi in the South. This is especially true in Tamil Nadu. Hindi is growing. It is now taught in 165 universities around the world,” noted Balashowri Reddy, president of the Tamil Nadu Hindi Academy.

A Kanagaraj, chairman of the Jaya Group of Institutions, called on Hindi institutions and scholars to abandon their strong urban bias and look towards rural India. The depth of language and its understanding in rural India must not be underestimated, he said, offering his institution’s support for any rural programmes for language development.

DRBCCC Hindu College principal S Kalpana Bai, TNHA senior patron MK Mohan and TNHA working president RM Srinivasan were among those who took part in the function, in which a number of scholars of Hindi as well as those of other languages were felicitated by the Governor.

http://expressbuzz.com/topic/bond-of-national-unity-could-be-strengthened/352064.html

Last edited by Rashmun on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

india's new english only generation:

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/indias-new-english-only-generation/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:india's new english only generation:

english is not the language of the common man in India; rather, it is the language of the elites. It is ridiculous to imagine someone earning twenty or thirty rupees a day to be speaking in english.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Rashmun wrote:CHENNAI: Efforts need to be taken to strengthen Hindi as a common language across India, even as many languages continue to flourish unhindered, said Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah said. Speaking at the World Hindi Day celebrations at a function at the Raj Bhavan, Rosaiah said the bond of national unity could be strengthened only through a common language.

“When we see the history of the evolution of Indian languages, all letters belong to two families. One is the Aryan family and the other is the Dravidian family. Each and every language plays its own role in the composite culture of our country and there should be no competition between languages,” said the Governor. “Along with the growth of regional language, we need a common language for facilitating free and easy inter communication,” he added.

“The spirit of human feeling is one and it is the same in any language it is expressed. We need to strengthen this bond of unity. The unity of India lies in the art, music, drama and in languages of our country,” Rosaiah said.

The sixth World Hindi Day celebrations were organised by the Tamil Nadu Hindi Academy in association with the Dharmamurthi Rao Bahadur Calavala Cunnan Chetty Hindu College. Even as the programme was conducted entirely in Hindi, it stuck to protocol and began with the Tamil Thaai Vazhthu, with many of the Hindi scholars present singing the official State song.

Rosaiah, who is known to be fluent in a number of languages, chose to address the gathering in English, instead of Hindi.

“More and more people are learning Hindi in the South. This is especially true in Tamil Nadu. Hindi is growing. It is now taught in 165 universities around the world,” noted Balashowri Reddy, president of the Tamil Nadu Hindi Academy.

A Kanagaraj, chairman of the Jaya Group of Institutions, called on Hindi institutions and scholars to abandon their strong urban bias and look towards rural India. The depth of language and its understanding in rural India must not be underestimated, he said, offering his institution’s support for any rural programmes for language development.

DRBCCC Hindu College principal S Kalpana Bai, TNHA senior patron MK Mohan and TNHA working president RM Srinivasan were among those who took part in the function, in which a number of scholars of Hindi as well as those of other languages were felicitated by the Governor.

http://expressbuzz.com/topic/bond-of-national-unity-could-be-strengthened/352064.html

clarification: K. Rosaiah, the polyglot governor of TN, is himself a telugu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Rashmun wrote:

I suspect he knows much hindi, though they say he's multilingual. He's from the coastal/andhra region, not telangana. Ppl in that area (and also from the Rayalaseema region) know as much hindi as anyone from say, Madhurai or Tanjavore. Very little. No wonder he gave the speech in english.

btw Rashmun, what are the nothies doing for national integration? How much/what is their effort towards it?

Depressing article, max. Bad that future indian citizens are going to be just monolingual. Regional languages are going to take a big blow coz of english. Not a good situation.

PS: I'm out before I get sucked in deeply into these discussions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:34 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I suspect he knows much hindi, though they say he's multilingual. He's from the coastal/andhra region, not telangana. Ppl in that area (and also from the Rayalaseema region) know as much hindi as anyone from say, Madhurai or Tanjavore. Very little. No wonder he gave the speech in english.

btw Rashmun, what are the nothies doing for national integration? How much/what is their effort towards it?

Depressing article, max. Bad that future indian citizens are going to be just monolingual. Regional languages are going to take a big blow coz of english. Not a good situation.

PS: I'm out before I get sucked in deeply into these discussions.

the northie contribution towards national integration was the formulation of the sanskrit language (of course the southies made a significant contribution in developing this language, but sanskrit originated in north india). this great language of India is one of the major factors which keeps India together because almost every component of Indian culture has ties to this language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:india's new english only generation:

english is not the language of the common man in India; rather, it is the language of the elites. It is ridiculous to imagine someone earning twenty or thirty rupees a day to be speaking in english.

having said that, english remains the language of the future and it definitely needs to be propagated to the widest extent possible with the limited means (i.e. good english teachers and schools which are able to recruit good english teachers) available. i will have no sorrow whatsoever when english eventually replaces hindi as the national language of India, but the time for that is not now but sometime in the future. Meanwhile, we will have to make do with Hindustani as the primary link language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:38 pm

There was no india or north india at the time. It originated in the current Pakistan and Afghanistan too. Don't give any bullshit.

What are the current day north indians doing towards national integration?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:38 pm

I thought Rosiah is from Kurnool, so uncharacteristically gutless if Telugu movies are to be believed.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:43 pm

indophile wrote:I thought Rosiah is from Kurnool, so uncharacteristically gutless if Telugu movies are to be believed.

Isn't he from Guntur? I'm certain he's not from Kurnool. Kurnool is in Rayalaseema. Rayalaseema-ites are pretty bad in their knowledge of hindi too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:49 pm

kinnera wrote:There was no india or north india at the time. It originated in the current Pakistan and Afghanistan too. Don't give any bullshit.

What is your understanding of the term 'Bharatavarsha'? in my opinion, the idea of India as a distinct cultural entity definitely existed even in ancient times, and a primary reason for that was the sanskrit language and sanskrit literature which ended up giving a kind of cultural unity. People in both north india and south india knew the stories in the Ramayana and Mahabharata for instance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:53 pm

kinnera wrote:
indophile wrote:I thought Rosiah is from Kurnool, so uncharacteristically gutless if Telugu movies are to be believed.

Isn't he from Guntur? I'm certain he's not from Kurnool. Kurnool is in Rayalaseema. Rayalaseema-ites are pretty bad in their knowledge of hindi too.

i had an ex-colleague from rayalaseema whose hindi was not bad; he could definitely communicate in hindi. i had another ex-colleague from coastal andhra whose hindi was quite good. it is possible that my ex-colleagues do not represent the average person from rayalaseema and coastal andhra.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:57 pm

kinnera wrote:There was no india or north india at the time. It originated in the current Pakistan and Afghanistan too. Don't give any bullshit.

Kinnera, please share your thoughts on the following:

If I remember correctly from news in the media at that time, Bansi Lal (then CM of Haryana) proposed that Telugu would be taught as 2nd language in Haryana schools leading to future Haryanavis knowing at least two Indian languages, one from North India (Hindi) and the other from South India (Telugu). It was not something planned at the expense of any other language, Punjabi and English for example. The state government was still interested in teaching English etc. in schools, in addition to Telugu as state’s 2nd language.

Haryana Govt. also had the plans, if I remember correctly, to have a special ‘sister states’ relationship between Haryana and Andhra, on the model of sister-cities. Unfortunately, it seems to have been only one-sided ‘love affair’, mainly on the part of Haryana, with little enthusiasm and response from Andhra. Andhra politicians probably did not see much benefit from such cozy relationship with a remote northern state, and might have thought that if Andhras were going to put any effort in north India, it might be better to do with Delhi, for a bigger piece of pie, rather than Haryana or Chandigarh, having little to offer. Needless to say, this one-sided undertaking on the part of Haryanavis, with respect to Andhra and Telugu, was not going to succeed, and that’s what happened.

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?27254-Tamil-second-language-of-Haryana

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:

i had an ex-colleague from rayalaseema whose hindi was not bad; he could definitely communicate in hindi. i had another ex-colleague from coastal andhra whose hindi was quite good. it is possible that my ex-colleagues do not represent the average person from rayalaseema and coastal andhra.

If you understood that, you won't even mention your ex-colleagues.
I am from the Rayalaseema region, but grew up in Hyd. It could be the same situation with your ex-colleagues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:01 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:

If you understood that, you won't even mention your ex-colleagues.
I am from the Rayalaseema region, but grew up in Hyd. It could be the same situation with your ex-colleagues.

my point is that K.Rosaiah could be like my ex-colleagues. Just because he does not come from Telangana does not mean his hindi is necessarily very poor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Rashmun wrote:

If I remember correctly from news in the media at that time, Bansi Lal (then CM of Haryana) proposed that Telugu would be taught as 2nd language in Haryana schools leading to future Haryanavis knowing at least two Indian languages, one from North India (Hindi) and the other from South India (Telugu). It was not something planned at the expense of any other language, Punjabi and English for example. The state government was still interested in teaching English etc. in schools, in addition to Telugu as state’s 2nd language.

Haryana Govt. also had the plans, if I remember correctly, to have a special ‘sister states’ relationship between Haryana and Andhra, on the model of sister-cities. Unfortunately, it seems to have been only one-sided ‘love affair’, mainly on the part of Haryana, with little enthusiasm and response from Andhra. Andhra politicians probably did not see much benefit from such cozy relationship with a remote northern state, and might have thought that if Andhras were going to put any effort in north India, it might be better to do with Delhi, for a bigger piece of pie, rather than Haryana or Chandigarh, having little to offer. Needless to say, this one-sided undertaking on the part of Haryanavis, with respect to Andhra and Telugu, was not going to succeed, and that’s what happened.

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?27254-Tamil-second-language-of-Haryana

Got a nice excuse, Rashmun. What do you expect AP politicians to do? Where there is a will, there is a way. Dont' lecture about south indians learning hindi for the sake of national integration until a south indian language is taught in north indian schools too.
I'm out of this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:15 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Got a nice excuse, Rashmun. What do you expect AP politicians to do? Where there is a will, there is a way. Dont' lecture about south indians learning hindi for the sake of national integration until a south indian language is taught in north indian schools too.
I'm out of this thread.

a show of enthusiasm and support from Andhra politicians for the plan to teach telugu (including sending telugu teachers to haryana) in haryana schools would have been appropriate. the apathy that AP politicians displayed may have led haryanvis to question why they should be learning telugu when the leaders of AP are not interested if they learn the language or not.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:18 pm

kinnera wrote:

Yeah, I checked. It's Guntur. Interestingly, his grandfather was a Tamilian (Padmarao Mudaliar) and Dewan of the Hyderabad Nizam. That's what his WiKi said. Are Mudaliars same as Kshatriyas?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Why Odisha and Odia? Why not Orrisa and Oriya? Did this name change too?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:21 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I'm out of this thread.

on another note, i have zero interest in forcing anyone to learn hindi. on the other hand, if someone wants to learn hindi because they think it would be beneficial for them then i am opposed to some language fanatics trying to discourage them from learning the language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:21 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:Why Odisha and Odia? Why not Orrisa and Oriya? Did this name change too?

yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Odisha and Odia are how the locals refer to their state and language. Orissa and Oriya are sort of corrupted anglicized spellings and pronunciations. It is somewhat similar to how Khodogpur (where the first IIT is located) became Kharagpur. The locals continue to call it Khodogpur.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:Why Odisha and Odia? Why not Orrisa and Oriya? Did this name change too?

yes.

apono ki kichi odiya kohiparibe?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I'm out of this thread.

on another note, i have zero interest in forcing anyone to learn hindi. on the other hand, if someone wants to learn hindi because they think it would be beneficial for them then i am opposed to some language fanatics trying to discourage them from learning the language.

Hindi Chennai By & By
It is good to know that Hindi is being received better these days in Tamil Nadu (Konjam Hindi, Apr 20). I myself was raised in a staunch anti-Hindi Madras. It was so bad that my Arya Samaj-run school received three bomb threats in seven years because it promoted Hindi. Thanks to my parents, I was forced to choose Hindi and Sanskrit in school. Subsequently, due to my mother’s efforts and my own interest, I learnt to read Tamil as well. The dmk had been propagating the lie that the spread of Hindi would make Tamil extinct. All my fellow South Indians continue to speak their mother tongue with the same ease with which they speak Hindi. Karunanidhi himself, when asked why his grand-nephew was being given so much importance in Delhi, remarked that it was because he had good command over Hindi. So, obviously he has a different yardstick when it comes to his family. It’s high time we started looking beyond petty politics and learned to adapt and embrace other languages and cultures—assimilating them into ours without forsaking ours.
Ashwin, Jersey City, US

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?240235

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:28 pm

indophile wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

yes.

apono ki kichi odiya kohiparibe?

kana ashubidha?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:32 pm

All employees who have to communicate with state residents, businesses and government must be proficient in the state official language (SOL). Those who cannot provide school certificates to prove that they studied the SOL at school shall be required to pass a language examination before appointment. Level of the examination shall be commensurate with job duties. Language examinations set up by the state government for its employees shall be used (See 2-2).

A construction worker must be able to talk to fellow workers and supervisors in the SOL. Failure to communicate with fellow workers and supervisors could affect safety at the construction site. It is up to the out-of-state worker to know the state language and not up to the local workers to learn the out-of-state language.

From' the article "A Bill of Rights for Indian Languages"

Google for it
www.google.com

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:14 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:All employees who have to communicate with state residents, businesses and government must be proficient in the state official language (SOL). Those who cannot provide school certificates to prove that they studied the SOL at school shall be required to pass a language examination before appointment. Level of the examination shall be commensurate with job duties. Language examinations set up by the state government for its employees shall be used (See 2-2).

A construction worker must be able to talk to fellow workers and supervisors in the SOL. Failure to communicate with fellow workers and supervisors could affect safety at the construction site. It is up to the out-of-state worker to know the state language and not up to the local workers to learn the out-of-state language.

From' the article "A Bill of Rights for Indian Languages"

Google for it
www.google.com

i took your advice and googled for 'a bill of rights for indian languages'. came across these interesting posts by someone who claims to be a Mallu. KV what do you think about the views of this poster 'Myself Mallu, Yourself?':

------

Myself, Mallu. Yourself?
View profile
More options Sep 10 2011, 9:11 am
On 9/9/2011 9:15 PM, mut...@go.com wrote:
> A Comprehensive Programme to Protect Indian Languages
> http://www.tamiltribune.com/11/0801.html

Bollocks! The whole idea of a "Bill of Rights" to protect Indian
languages is stupid. Good try at trying to co-opt non-Tamil people into
this harebrained idea, but no cigar! It is also bloody rich that Tamil
language chauvinists had to use English to draw up this "Bill of Rights"
to protect Tamil from English.
Draw up a "Bill of Duties", dimwitted baboons.

Myself, Mallu. Yourself?

View profile
More options Sep 18 2011, 10:38 am
On 9/18/2011 4:23 AM, analys...@hotmail.com wrote:

Mostly baloney and thinly-disguised hatred for TamBrahms.
Hindi _is_ an Indian language, half-witted git. The insecurity down
south stems from the sheer number of bhaiyyas, and their 'preternatural'
ability to water down anything, not just milk. It is about time for
anal-retentive madrasis, esp. Hellam idiots, to get off their high horse
on Tamil and its antiquity. _All_ Indian languages (including Indlish,
whether you like it or not) are beautiful, and _all_ are rich in terms
of literature. Stop dissing Hindi.
Best solution for India is to make English _the_ official language and
make bhaiyyas learn to read/write/speak it. That should keep them busy
for decades. The next thing is for Tamils go find their missing
alphabets and spare all others k/g/h, b/p, t/d interchange misery (and
sometimes mirth).

http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.tamil/browse_thread/thread/25b19250eac7bd9d

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:41 pm

*bump*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down