Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

couple of good weeks for obama

5 posters

Go down

couple of good weeks for obama Empty couple of good weeks for obama

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:24 pm

After disastrous early weeks of june obama caught couple of nice breaks -greek election results provided a respite from one thorny issue and john roberts of us sc gave him a surprisenof a life time.
euro zone leaders made some new noises that may buy some time for euro.
Second quarter employment numbers are likely to be bad. Low expectations may help too.
Obama is still leading with 300 plus electoral votes. He needs few weeks of calm.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

couple of good weeks for obama Empty Re: couple of good weeks for obama

Post by Kris Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:35 pm

truthbetold wrote:After disastrous early weeks of june obama caught couple of nice breaks -greek election results provided a respite from one thorny issue and john roberts of us sc gave him a surprisenof a life time.
Second quarter employment numbers are likely to be bad. Low expectations may help too.
Obama is still leading with 300 plus electoral votes. He needs few weeks of calm.

>>>TBT,

The SC victory is a mixed blessing. Roberts just gave some add'l ammo to the GOP by basing his decision on the congressional power to tax. Obama needs to play this carefully by couching it in "victory for the nation - yada, yada, yada" and not get into the details. If you think about it, Roberts may turn out to the madhur aunty in this story to Obama's madhur uncle, outwardly helping him, but sticking it to him on the side. That may or may not be completely intentional. I think Roberts acted out of a sense of integrity, but the end result is the same, nevertheless.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Kris wrote:
truthbetold wrote:After disastrous early weeks of june obama caught couple of nice breaks -greek election results provided a respite from one thorny issue and john roberts of us sc gave him a surprisenof a life time.

>>>TBT,

The SC victory is a mixed blessing. Roberts just gave some add'l ammo to the GOP by basing his decision on the congressional power to tax. Obama needs to play this carefully by couching it in "victory for the nation - yada, yada, yada" and not get into the details. If you think about it, Roberts may turn out to the madhur aunty in this story to Obama's madhur uncle, outwardly helping him, but sticking it to him on the side. That may or may not be completely intentional. I think Roberts acted out of a sense of integrity, but the end result is the same, nevertheless.
LOL! Yeah, I don't think Roberts did this intentionally just to stick it to Obama, but he is an intelligent man and the implication probably crossed his mind and he may not have disliked it that much.

Team Obama is now trying to shut the Obamacare debate down, as they recognize the tax label and the overall unpopularity of the mandate as a liability. I would encourage them to talk about the hugely popular provisions of the law -- coverage for pre-existing conditions, coverage for children under 26, etc. They need to get the GOP to articulate its alternative to Obamacare -- what happens to those popular provisions if they repeal the law? What happens to the 30 million uninsured people if they repeal the law? Also, they need to clarify who this "tax" applies to -- about 1% of the people are expected to pay it. At this point, though, it looks like the Dems would prefer to walk away rather than engage in this fight.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:55 pm

panini press wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>TBT,

LOL! Yeah, I don't think Roberts did this intentionally just to stick it to Obama, but he is an intelligent man and the implication probably crossed his mind and he may not have disliked it that much.

Team Obama is now trying to shut the Obamacare debate down, as they recognize the tax label and the overall unpopularity of the mandate as a liability. I would encourage them to talk about the hugely popular provisions of the law -- coverage for pre-existing conditions, coverage for children under 26, etc. They need to get the GOP to articulate its alternative to Obamacare -- what happens to those popular provisions if they repeal the law? What happens to the 30 million uninsured people if they repeal the law? Also, they need to clarify who this "tax" applies to -- about 1% of the people are expected to pay it. At this point, though, it looks like the Dems would prefer to walk away rather than engage in this fight.

>>> As things stand now, the above seems like the optimal strategy, but the economy is going to be the overriding concern going into these elections. Let's wait and see. I think Obama is a shrewd tactician and will see which buttons to push and when,as things unfold. Romney has got ammo with the economy. This is going to be an interesting fight.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm

John robrtd is a very intelligent guy. But even for him it is little too much to plot events that far away. Unintended possible but not planned.
Repubs and tea patyers will make lot of noise and they got money. But rarely does an issue create a second upheavel. Tax argument may not have the potency of death cells.
Health care will be an issue but one that may help obama.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:57 pm

John robrtd is a very intelligent guy. But even for him it is little too much to plot events that far away. Unintended possible but not planned.
Repubs and tea patyers will make lot of noise and they got money. But rarely does an issue create a second upheavel. Tax argument may not have the potency of death cells.
Health care will be an issue but one that may help obama.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Agreed on tactics. Merely pointing to the fact dems also use stereo types and cheap tricks.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:22 pm

panini press wrote:

i dream about the day when politicians don't have to finesse their speech and call things what they are. i realize this is utopia, but things would be so much simpler if political leaders didn't have to pusssyfoot around the issue. i wish they could say the following:

if you want universal coverage it is not going to come freely. you have to pay a tax for it like you pay for your water, sewer, roads, and other public services. but the benefits to society in the long run outweigh the costs to the nation as a whole. we'll have a healthier population requiring less medical care overall, living longer and thus working longer and contributing to the GDP longer than is possible presently. this is a good thing for you, your children and grandchildren. this is what it is going to cost you (projected) over your lifetime and here are the projected benefits.

instead we waste time finessing acceptable labels and quibble about irrelevant stuff.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:17 am

Kris wrote:If you think about it, Roberts may turn out to the madhur aunty in this story to Obama's madhur uncle, outwardly helping him, but sticking it to him on the side.

Hey, not fair. Madhur aunty deserved some happiness in her life too. She arrived at a win-win solution which, IMO, was a far more compassionate option compared to just dumping Madhur unkil.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:55 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kris wrote:If you think about it, Roberts may turn out to the madhur aunty in this story to Obama's madhur uncle, outwardly helping him, but sticking it to him on the side.

Hey, not fair. Madhur aunty deserved some happiness in her life too. She arrived at a win-win solution which, IMO, was a far more compassionate option compared to just dumping Madhur unkil.

>>>>I could've forgiven everything, but pushing our beloved TW down the hill was the absolute limit for me.

"Trace and Aunt went up a hill
To fetch a pail of water
Trace was pushed and broke her crown
Aunt inveigled a second Uncle soon thereafter"

Smile

P.S. The above is not to suggest TW was the first uncle, before critical reading enthusiasts jump on me. Merely some poetic license here..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down