Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lesson in frugality

3 posters

Go down

Lesson in frugality Empty Lesson in frugality

Post by MulaiAzhagi Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:22 pm

It was about 3 PM. The place was downtown Chicago. I just came out of the $150 per day lodge I was staying in. There was a reason I stepped out at 3 PM. The Dunkin Donut shop nearby had a sale. Iced coffee or iced tea only 99 cents between 3 and 6 PM. It is always good to save money.

Standing next to me sideways near the counter was a slender black woman. "Can I have some courtesy water," she asked. She got her cup of water. It had some ice cubes in it as well. She saw the place filled with tourists enjoying themselves with donuts along with mocha, cappucino and plain coffee as well. "How much does a cup of coffee cost?" she queried in her soft voice. Although she was poor, she carried herself with dignity. "Dollar eighty six," the Dunkin man said in a matter-of-fact tone. And then she went through the motion of making a serious effort of finding some coins in her almost empty purse.

The man behind the cash register looked at me. "A iced tea for me and a cup of coffee for the lady," I ordered.

What the heck! I can be frugal for myself but I do not have to be for others.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Lesson in frugality Empty Re: Lesson in frugality

Post by MulaiAzhagi Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:35 pm

There was a reason I stepped out at 3 PM.

should be

There was a reason why I stepped out at 3 PM.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm

I am not sure..if this is Sara, MA, Sanjay,Manjay or someone else narrating this little story!

Heck, I don't even care if this is fiction or real! Know the feeling though..whether it's a black woman, white man, or an Indian family..just getting them a cup of coffee or a cup of icecream..when they least expect a stranger to do it as they are trying hard to come up with some change..and not saying a word and quickly walking away..is quite a nice feeling!

It was a nice read- a lesson in random generosity:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:39 pm

It happened last thursday.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Really? That's really nice to know Lesson in frugality 459784477 !

The world somehow seems to be a better place..when we see rare..random acts of kindness:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:16 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:
What the heck! I can be frugal for myself but I do not have to be for others.

Exactly my line of thinking. All the thoughts, views, and rules apply to me..and me only. It is for others to decide on their own philosophy including their definition of frugality.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down