Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are obese because...

+4
MulaiAzhagi
FluteHolder
Hellsangel
doofus_maximus
8 posters

Go down

We are obese because... Empty We are obese because...

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:16 am

We overeat rather than exercise less. Gathering data from a tribe of hunter-gatherers scientists find that our metabolic rate hasn't drastically changed but modern humans overeat. The balance between diet and exercise is subject to debate. Good article and research. Why didn't I think of this before..are you still realding this blurb instead of clicking the link. What are you doing? Click the link.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

We are obese because... Empty Re: We are obese because...

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:23 am

And this is new news because...?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:46 am

well. let me explain. It is new because because data was collected from these tribesmen and women for the first time.

You need to be able to understand the subtle differences in the result. It was always hypothesized that ancient population (especially hunter-gatherer tribes) were not obese because they burnt more calories per day than modern humans. This study finds out it is not the case. It says they ate less and burnt the same amount of calories. This argues that a more balanced diet and portion control are more important. It shifts the balance between the diet and exercise more towards diet.

What it fails to address is the contents of the diet for these tribesmen vs modern humans. But there are other studies which suggest that it doesn't matter how you get your calories as long as you eat less, you are not going to be obese.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Smile Jaggi vasudev claims that most of us eat more than what is required and adequate for the body. He says if we eat 30% of what we eat now, we can be still healthy and more energetic and will NOT lose a pound.

Try eating in a small plate than a larger one and see the difference:)

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I have a friend who just eats only one time a day. Lot of veggies and a little bit of rice. He is 55 years old but looks 40.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:36 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:I have a friend who just eats only one time a day. Lot of veggies and a little bit of rice. He is 55 years old but looks 40.

He must be a yogi.
As there is a saying which conveys the meaning: Those who eat one meal are Yogi; 2 Meals are Bogi (passionate about food)?; 3 Meals become Rogi (gets afflicted with diseases).

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Eat 6 small meals a day, yogis!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:41 pm

FluteHolder wrote:
MulaiAzhagi wrote:I have a friend who just eats only one time a day. Lot of veggies and a little bit of rice. He is 55 years old but looks 40.

He must be a yogi.
As there is a saying which conveys the meaning: Those who eat one meal are Yogi; 2 Meals are Bogi (passionate about food)?; 3 Meals become Rogi (gets afflicted with diseases).

===> FH,

You are right on the mark.

The guy is a yoga teacher.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:17 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:We overeat rather than exercise less. Gathering data from a tribe of hunter-gatherers scientists find that our metabolic rate hasn't drastically changed but modern humans overeat. The balance between diet and exercise is subject to debate. Good article and research. Why didn't I think of this before..are you still realding this blurb instead of clicking the link. What are you doing? Click the link.

E X A C T L Y...

my usual advise to all is that we continue to eat like a 20 year old long after we ceased being active like a 20 year old.

It takes 1 hour of walking to burn 200 cals whereas it takes only 15 secs to take in 200 cals - a candy bar. So the best way to lose 200 cals - bingo - skip the candy bar.

one can jog 24/7 but if the food intake is not cut down, then no weight loss will occur (a little exaggeration).

Weight loss is accomplished 80% by eating less and 20% by exercising...

Damn.. I did not even read the link but these have been my Gayatri mantra for years now (all Gayatris excuse me....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:We overeat rather than exercise less. Gathering data from a tribe of hunter-gatherers scientists find that our metabolic rate hasn't drastically changed but modern humans overeat. The balance between diet and exercise is subject to debate. Good article and research. Why didn't I think of this before..are you still realding this blurb instead of clicking the link. What are you doing? Click the link.

E X A C T L Y...

my usual advise to all is that we continue to eat like a 20 year old long after we ceased being active like a 20 year old.

It takes 1 hour of walking to burn 200 cals whereas it takes only 15 secs to take in 200 cals - a candy bar. So the best way to lose 200 cals - bingo - skip the candy bar.

one can jog 24/7 but if the food intake is not cut down, then no weight loss will occur (a little exaggeration).

Weight loss is accomplished 80% by eating less and 20% by exercising...

Damn.. I did not even read the link but these have been my Gayatri mantra for years now (all Gayatris excuse me....Wink

Bittu man has been crying hoarse about this for ages!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:59 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:It takes 1 hour of walking to burn 200 cals whereas it takes only 15 secs to take in 200 cals - a candy bar. So the best way to lose 200 cals - bingo - skip the candy bar.

Not quite, Unkil. You might have lost the plot in general but you won't lose anything else by skipping candy bars.

You might lose something by practising running. That should prove particularly useful for you when you see a MUSLIM on the same side of the street. Especially after 8 pm.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:10 am

**speak for yourself. my current BMI is 21 and i'm headed to 20....yay, yay, yay.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 am

**at what age did he begin to do that? and how consistent is he with this lifestyle?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:31 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:It takes 1 hour of walking to burn 200 cals whereas it takes only 15 secs to take in 200 cals - a candy bar. So the best way to lose 200 cals - bingo - skip the candy bar.

Not quite, Unkil. You might have lost the plot in general but you won't lose anything else by skipping candy bars.

You might lose something by practising running. That should prove particularly useful for you when you see a MUSLIM on the same side of the street. Especially after 8 pm.

LOL..btw, have you tasted those 'after 8' mint chocolate..also called edwardian mints hmmm.. - is there a emoticon for drooling ???

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum