Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paper Masala Dosa

3 posters

Go down

Paper Masala Dosa Empty Paper Masala Dosa

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 9:17 pm

Paper Masala Dosa Paper_masala

Back to top Go down

Paper Masala Dosa Empty Re: Paper Masala Dosa

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Paper Masala Dosa UruSwati61

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Chicago?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 9:25 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Chicago?

how did you know?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 24, 2011 9:43 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Chicago?

how did you know?

right click copy image location, paste and get rid of the jpg extension. look at the resulting web page and locate said image.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Tue May 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Chicago?

how did you know?

Is it true? The article says he had it in Sarvana Bhavan in Egmore, TN.

http://usrimushnam.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/culinary-conversion/#more-95
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:Paper Masala Dosa UruSwati61

That picture is so unappetizing. I don't know who first decided to stuff potatoes into dosa(i)s. 'Aloo' has certainly taken over the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24, 2011 10:51 pm

blabberwock wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Paper Masala Dosa UruSwati61

That picture is so unappetizing. I don't know who first decided to stuff potatoes into dosa(i)s. 'Aloo' has certainly taken over the world.

Perhaps the Kannadigas?

The masala dosa is a recent phenomenon. How recent is a matter of debate, but it was certainly an innovation on the humble, household dosa decades ago, when public eateries became a familiar idea in Bangalore and Mysore. It is important to distinguish between the masala dosa and the dosa. While the masala dosa is still a rarity in one's home, the simple dosa is ubiquitous. In fact, it has become a standby breakfast or an evening snack after refrigerators have helped arrest the ferment of the batter. While the potato filling is imperative for a dosa to be crowned as the masala variety, the ordinary dosa can go with hurriedly ground coconut and roasted gram chutney. Of course, for the eclectic there could be other accompaniments besides the chutney, like the sambar, egg curry, chicken or mutton gravy or even a stew. Chutney powder with ghee can also do as a quickie. Masala dosa is for a special occasion and a special outing, but the dosa, like idli, is everyday bread. The masala dosa is built on the dosa and is only an exotic adaptation in the market place.

For its pan-Indian popularity, it is important to imagine the dosa as one standardised recipe, but in its home, South Karnataka, it is distinct in each household. It varies from the hand of one woman to another. It surely varies from my mother to my wife. While my mother shied away from sharing her batter concoction, my wife says that her dosas turn out crispier because she adds a bit of sugar and sooji to the batter minutes before it hits the pan. Adding a handful of poha while preparing the batter can make dosas softer and a sprinkling of fenugreek can give it a distinct taste. I have always suspected that my favourite dosa joint in Bangalore, Vidyarthi Bhavan, adds a bit of red rice to give its dosas a mild pinkish interior and an extraordinary eating experience. What other things go into the making of the batter besides the known ingredients of rice and urad dal, is usually a closely-guarded chef's secret.

http://outlookindia.com/printarticle.aspx?263867

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down