Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

such/KuchPoocho

5 posters

Go down

such/KuchPoocho Empty such/KuchPoocho

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Is it a bad thing to change your mind about big (or small) issue?

say you misunderstood something or didnt see it from other angles and formed an opinion about something.

Do people think you're a monkey mind and confused person?

Back to top Go down

such/KuchPoocho Empty Re: such/KuchPoocho

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:23 pm

seven wrote:Is it a bad thing to change your mind about big (or small) issue?

say you misunderstood something or didnt see it from other angles and formed an opinion about something.

what's the "issue?" voting for obama/romney? wearing a cardigan as a "fashion" statement?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:48 pm

it could be anything from views on gay marriages orther political issues to whats inappropriate to wear at work.

for example, you make fun of fashion clowns until you meet one or three and realize they have feelings too and other good things about them and change your mind about them.
or you look down upon politically challenged people and then for some reason change your mind about them....that kinda thing.

if you change your mind about things, is it considered a good or bad thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote: wearing a cardigan as a "fashion" statement?

The old dog wouldn't know fashion if it bit his tail.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Mind is a malleable thing and is certainly not static. As in an ecosystem, you have millions of species (species representing ideas) floating around, feeding off of each other, symbiotically and parasitically co-existent. In this dynamically changing equilibrium of competing, conflicting, mutually masturbating ideascape, it is but natural that tipping points are reached and one species decidedly and domineeringly asserts its supremacy over one or more other species. And yes, like the ecosystem, there are internal pressures of species killing off each other and then there are external pressures like lightning and thunderbolts and giant meteorites, and slow-moving phenomena like soil erosion that can do a species in.

Okay, so you get the picture...thats how minds work.

Now, when these things happen in your mind, it is mostly a silent phenomenon - no one else outside your cranium knows the ecosystem...even you appreciate it only partially. So what people see and this is where perceptions matter, is your actions, behavior, or stated positions. When they see concordance of behavior, actions and positions with your past self, they compute you are the predictable self they always "knew" and they always "suspected". No threat here, go away folks, no great show....he is what he always was.

The key then, is to manage perceptions - when you change positions, opinions, judgments, it is best to do so after a careful stage management to feed the concordance expectations. Make incremental changes visible, cause slight eyebrow raises, before dropping the bombshell - yes, i am the type that wears seersuckers for weekend parties in fall.

(Excerpted from Lessons I will never learn, a forthcoming blockbuster)

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

the guy is old enough to be your father. is this how your family brought you up--to keep showing disrespect to people who are your father's age?
do you talk like this to your father?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:22 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

the guy is old enough to be your father. is this how your family brought you up--to keep showing disrespect to people who are your father's age?

Is he? Why don't you ask him to adopt you then?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Is he? Why don't you ask him to adopt you then?

you have not answered my questions so let me repeat myself:
is this how your family brought you up--to keep showing disrespect to people who are your father's age?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Rashmun wrote:

let me repeat myself:

You do that very well.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

let me repeat myself:

You do that very well.

thank you. in future i will keep reminding you to maintain the dignity and honor and traditions of your family by showing some respect to people who are your father's age.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:28 pm

atcg wrote:Mind is a malleable thing and is certainly not static. As in an ecosystem, you have millions of species (species representing ideas) floating around, feeding off of each other, symbiotically and parasitically co-existent. In this dynamically changing equilibrium of competing, conflicting, mutually masturbating ideascape, it is but natural that tipping points are reached and one species decidedly and domineeringly asserts its supremacy over one or more other species. And yes, like the ecosystem, there are internal pressures of species killing off each other and then there are external pressures like lightning and thunderbolts and giant meteorites, and slow-moving phenomena like soil erosion that can do a species in.

Okay, so you get the picture...thats how minds work.

Now, when these things happen in your mind, it is mostly a silent phenomenon - no one else outside your cranium knows the ecosystem...even you appreciate it only partially. So what people see and this is where perceptions matter, is your actions, behavior, or stated positions. When they see concordance of behavior, actions and positions with your past self, they compute you are the predictable self they always "knew" and they always "suspected". No threat here, go away folks, no great show....he is what he always was.

The key then, is to manage perceptions - when you change positions, opinions, judgments, it is best to do so after a careful stage management to feed the concordance expectations. Make incremental changes visible, cause slight eyebrow raises, before dropping the bombshell - yes, i am the type that wears seersuckers for weekend parties in fall.

(Excerpted from Lessons I will never learn, a forthcoming blockbuster)

oh thank you dna! i red your post twice and i think i understood what u said. you're saying mind does change, slowly due to so many different forces, internal and external. you said it shouldn't be changed too frequently and too quickly. or people will think we are unreliable and unpredictable. it should be changed after careful thinking.

i agree with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:30 pm

lol @ you do that very well and

rashmun - dont hijack my thread.

you already have the entire (ok 95%) of coffeehouse taken over.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

let me repeat myself:

You do that very well.

thank you. in future i will keep reminding you to maintain the dignity and honor and traditions of your family by showing some respect to people who are your father's age.

i recall Vaidyanathan Pushpagiri writing some provocative things to me on CH. But i was able to quench his anger or annoyance by a few sweet words. In future you must follow my example and talk in a sweet manner to Mburuburu. Try to win his respect. This would show all of us the fine manner in which your family has brought you up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Rashmun wrote:
In future you must follow my example and talk in a sweet manner to Mburuburu.

He really, really should adopt you.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
In future you must follow my example and talk in a sweet manner to Mburuburu.

He really, really should adopt you.

i am not the one who suffers from the problem of showing disrespect to people my father's age. in case your family did not do a good job at raising you then he should adopt you and train you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Rashmun wrote:

showing disrespect to people my father's age.

How old are you again?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

showing disrespect to people my father's age.

How old are you again?

irrelevant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Rashmun wrote:

irrelevant.

Looks like he already adopted you and trained you.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

irrelevant.

Looks like he already adopted you and trained you.

i have never met him and have never spoken to him on phone. is this how your family brought you up--to make false allegations against people you disagree with? looks like you need a little training in manners.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:11 pm

If you mind does not change, you never "grow up".
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 pm

artood2 wrote:

If you mind does not change, you never "grow up".

Yeah, but the funny thing is our views become more n more rigid as we grow older. And it becomes harder to change them at some point. people start seeing things from just one angle (their point of view) and stop being open to new ideas.

So i guess once we 'grow up' we stop growing or slow down or sth

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:43 pm

i like the word monkey mind. i am going to steal it and use it when describing obama for the next four years.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Impedimenta wrote:i like the word monkey mind. i am going to steal it and use it when describing obama for the next four years.

AWESOME! so then obama is going to win tonight ? YAY!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Impedimenta wrote:i like the word monkey mind. i am going to steal it and use it when describing obama for the next four years.

beware of the word "monkey".. that has a very racist connotation.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 pm

artood2 wrote:

scratch how? indiana jones? rudyard kipling? monkey brains in cuisine? which word does not have a racist slant? coconut? which century are you from?

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
artood2 wrote:

scratch how? indiana jones? rudyard kipling? monkey brains in cuisine? which word does not have a racist slant? coconut? which century are you from?

hoozay! you forgot all about Harbhajan "Maa ki" --> "monkey" controversy? In europe racist folks would throw bananas at black people to imply that they were monkeys. Actually it would not be a problem in previous centuries as long as you were not at the receiving end of it.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:50 pm

that was a total doosra. yup, got you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 pm

oh but i thought it was a chinese word that means a person with indecisive mind

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:32 am

i had composed a reply yesterday but i did not post it for fear of being misunderstood. but today i can post it.

no, it is not a bad thing to change your mind about an issue. accepting your mistake is a sign of humility and great maturity. it also makes life simple for you no longer have to go into convolutions to maintain that you were indeed right. in life, often i have considered a thing or an issue right, then wrong, then right. i avoid considering my judgement infallible. but i exercise full reason when confronted to examine and then form a judgement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 am

artood2 wrote:

monkey's mind. ok? we good here?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 am

Impedimenta wrote:
artood2 wrote:

monkey's mind. ok? we good here?

might be better to avoid the word 'monkey' altogether.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum