Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

By the way

3 posters

Go down

By the way Empty By the way

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:20 am

"Happy Dhanteras swthrt"

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

By the way Empty Re: By the way

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:37 am

happy dhanteras tw! who is the sweetheart? the missus has still not made her dhanteras purchase. what you buying?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:42 am

Swthrt is me! Heh. Inner joke tha, with your ex-friend. She will get it.

I will go to the mall later today and buy something silvery. Let's see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:51 am

oh ab ex-friend ho gayi. i can't stop smiling. she has blocked me in such (foe's list). i sent her a few gmail messages but now i'll stop that too. life goes on. fuggit. hang her. let's party for its diwali.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:25 am

First time I'm hearing abt Dhanteras (I googled to know what it is).
The day before Deepavali is called Narakachaturdasi in AP. Is it the same in other parts of India too? Wondering....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:33 am

dhan is 'teras' naraka is 'chaturdasi'.... so can't be same... heh.

dhanteras for us is the first out of five days of diwali.

dhanteras
chhoti diwali
diwali
goverdhan pooja - think people just go to each other and give those leaf thingies, etc.
bhai dooj.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:40 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:goverdhan pooja - think people just go to each other and give those leaf thingies, etc.
first time i am hearing mention of this puja in any online forum. my mother and joint family used to celebrate this in the traditional (rustic) way. sculpt a goverdhan god on the floor with gobar, do parikarmas etc. with milk vilk. all childhood memories. my wife skips it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:43 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:dhan is 'teras' naraka is 'chaturdasi'.... so can't be same... heh.

dhanteras
chhoti diwali
diwali
goverdhan pooja - think people just go to each other and give those leaf thingies, etc.
bhai dooj.

Wiki says dhanteras is the third day before diwali. What's chhoti diwali is narakachaturdasi for us, the day where Krishna kills the demon, narakasura. Deepavali is when Krishna returns home along with wife satyabhama (who is the one who actually kills the demon, i think, when krishna passes out) and all the ppl in the kingdom welcome them with lights and fireworks and the tradition continues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:53 am

kinnera wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:dhan is 'teras' naraka is 'chaturdasi'.... so can't be same... heh.

dhanteras
chhoti diwali
diwali
bhai dooj.

Wiki says dhanteras is the third day before diwali. What's chhoti diwali is narakachaturdasi for us, the day where Krishna kills the demon, narakasura. Deepavali is when Krishna returns home along with wife satyabhama (who is the one who actually kills the demon, i think, when krishna passes out) and all the ppl in the kingdom welcome them with lights and fireworks and the tradition continues.

My mind. It reels after glancing at this post.

dhanteras....chhoti diwali....nakarchutiapa...what the fuck.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:06 pm

kinnera wrote:

Shocked and what does wiki say about diwali ? it's not about Krishna killing some demon...it's about shri Ram killing ravan ( thats dusshera) and reaching ayodhya after 20 days when people celebrate with diyas (deeps, deepams in SI) and stuff...thats deepawali (deepon ki line. line is aawli i think).

omg kinnu you're totally clueless lol
diwali is ram bhagwan
holi ( can be krishn bhagwan bcz he liked colors n such)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:20 pm

dhanteras
chhoti diwali
diwali
bhai dooj.

>>>>Five days, WTH? I got ripped off- thought it was just that one day all along.Heck, not even that after coming here for the most part. I remember calling home one year and my mother telling me that was the day. Today... we will celebrate with a champagne brunch, yes!!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:28 pm

seven wrote:
kinnera wrote:

Shocked and what does wiki say about diwali ? it's not about Krishna killing some demon...it's about shri Ram killing ravan ( thats dusshera) and reaching ayodhya after 20 days when people celebrate with diyas (deeps, deepams in SI) and stuff...thats deepawali (deepon ki line. line is aawli i think).

omg kinnu you're totally clueless lol
diwali is ram bhagwan
holi ( can be krishn bhagwan bcz he liked colors n such)

Chup re! In the south, it's to do with Krishna, not Rama. It's celebrated on two days: Narakachaturdasi (ur chhote diwali) where the demon is killed and Deepavali, the next day when Krishna returns home. No, we don't celebrate it for 5 days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Celebrations

Dhanteras is celebrated with gusto and enthusiasm. "Lakshmi Puja" is performed in the evenings when tiny diyas of clay are lit to drive away the shadows of evil spirits. Bhajans, devotional songs in praise of Goddess Laxmi, are sung and "Naivedya" of traditional sweets is offered to the Goddess. There is a peculiar custom in Maharashtra to lightly pound dry coriander seeds with jaggery and offer as Naivedya.

In villages, cattle are adorned and worshiped by farmers as they form the main source of their income. In south India, cows are offered, particularly, a special veneration because they are thought of as incarnations of Goddess Lakshmi.
**The above is my own creation in case anyone has any doubt.

"Women MUT be buying Gold by their own weight. No wonder the price of Gold has skyrocketed"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:"Happy Dhanteras swthrt"

Very Happy

oh, nce! hny is bck in bsnss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down