Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teenagers today...

5 posters

Go down

Teenagers today... Empty Teenagers today...

Post by Guest Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Were born hard wired to text. Their fingers. Wonder why is there no evolutionary study for this.

With mine. I send back a text. Look up and zing. There is a 2-3 para reply. Sometimes each para being 4-5 lines. How in the world does she do that. And she's typing from her iPad.

So many times in last month I have had to eventually snap and do a shush, or do not disturb, or I'm working, or I'm busy. Once I say all of that and then stop replying, 10 sentences later does the avalanche stops.

The only adult I know who could throw zingers like that is qb. Maybe she evolved a generation sooner.

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Teenagers today... Empty Re: Teenagers today...

Post by Guest Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Her text just now, "I type all of that, and you reply 'ok'. -.-"

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:10 pm

i worry about this generation's ability to focus and think deeply about problems. i'm trying to get my older d to put away all electronic devices and stop communicating while doing math. she claims that her generation learns differently by cooperating electronically. i have a hard time believing that. there is something to be said for individual deep thought. i'm afraid this generation may not develop that skill at all.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:14 pm

There was this interesting article that bw shared on the topic. Will see if I can find it at home later today. Or if she gets to it first...

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:02 pm

I am old school slow texting. Children reply like a speeding bullet.
Good thing their schools still insist on essay type writing. So far speed typing has not transformed into speed thinking( as in missing thought).

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:There was this interesting article that bw shared on the topic. Will see if I can find it at home later today. Or if she gets to it first...

http://theamericanscholar.org/solitude-and-leadership/

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:07 pm

I am medium speed texting but quite fast PC typer.

I used to think like MAX. But, have changed my mind.These kids CAN do everything. Of course, the parents need to constantly keep pushing their analytical skills and it is ok to rely on electronics but they also needed to develop the older skills. The ones in the top tier possess both the new skills and the old skills.I saw someone prepare for an exam and was shocked... it is not just open a book and read method. it was like a smart study room with different kinds of visuals, audio, and text... and I thot to myself "holy shyt..."

so, in short...keep doing your thingie without discouraging their thingie...and they will be fine.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:13 pm

You are lucky. Once they have their own set of wheels, a sports car with satellite radio, you might be forced to listen to this at full volume:

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Teenagers today... Empty Truce negotiated!

Post by Petrichor Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Unlimited texting but only between 3 PM and 4 PM. No texting during breaks at school or any other time.

Only Thamizh for conversations and satisfactory compliance results in Samsung Galaxy 3 on March 1.

- Signed, sealed and delivered over Malai Kofta and Butter Naan Wink

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:28 am

atcg wrote:Unlimited texting but only between 3 PM and 4 PM. No texting during breaks at school or any other time.

Only Thamizh for conversations and satisfactory compliance results in Samsung Galaxy 3 on March 1.

this is too cute by half. tell me if it actually works.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:53 am

atcg wrote:Unlimited texting but only between 3 PM and 4 PM. No texting during breaks at school or any other time.

ROFL! my older has stopped texting long paras to me. i end up correcting his grammar and usage! dents his ego because he is the group captain of his english class.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:03 am

Texting, Facebook, boys/girls, revolting, cars and confusion are all part of teenage. One need to be patient, strict, flexible and vigilant. More good looking , more work. But we asked for it. Now we need to execute.

Don't just have plan A. Have a plan B,C....?.

Keep sharing questions. It is almost certain that one of us have seen it.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:There was this interesting article that bw shared on the topic. Will see if I can find it at home later today. Or if she gets to it first...

thanks for the link.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:10 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

thanks for the link.

Lincoln (the movie) demonstrated this 'aloofness' and keeping-own-counsel very well. I am reminded of this class "Good to be shifty" and a description of it as follows:

"In many respects, the confidence man and the self-made man are two sides of the same coin," said Marsh, a member of Princeton's class of 1985. "The seminar examines in large part how the American dream can be seen as sort of a confidence game on a grand scale -- how 'success in the marketplace' often involves elements of self-invention and self-promotion that take us into the realm of fraudulence."

This is the other and arguably more important dimension to leadership.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:46 pm

The thing that i most argue abt with my sons is multitasking. They believe that multitasking is the most efficient way to work. i disagree. At least while studying, they got to have no other distractions. Single pointed focus is what's required. They never get it.

Another thing, they hardly ever write with hands as they type all their homework. Hand writing is bad and they can't write fast. They can type with jet speed though. Also, they hardly pay attention to spelling and grammar because the computer does the corrections for them. And they don't even care to make a note of the corrected ones.

yeah, we had no option but to take the 'unlimited option' for texting because they text so much with 'their friends'. But unlike you, in my case it's the opposite. I take 10-15 mins to type 2-3 paras of text to them and all I get in response is a single alphabet, 'k'. grr!

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Kinnera,
My children's school homework requires lot of math writing and essay type writing. They have to take notes during lectures. Is that not the case in your area?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:43 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kinnera,
My children's school homework requires lot of math writing and essay type writing. They have to take notes during lectures. Is that not the case in your area?

yeah, math writing and whatever they do in class is on paper. But all their home works (including hw essays) and assignments are typed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:55 pm

They take notes on their iPads. And some of them take pictures and videos of each other too. Some real lazy ones take a snapshot of the board when leaving the classrooms. Or a pictures of the notes captured by more sincere ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:07 pm

I took a bunch of teenagers to a fast food place. I left them in the SUV to go in and order. Most of them did not realize or pretend that I was not there and continued their conversations. Quite a few four letter words from girls even though they were superfluous .
At that age their mental development is still imbalanced between hormonal pressures and rational thinking.
I made my presence known and conversation became more polite.
One thing I learned from my experience was not to press for immediate conformation to my opinions. Conversations when they are in more receptive mode helped reach a better compromise. Always stick to private polite version of dialogue.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:12 pm

I just keep driving but frown. That's a signal enough for them to sober up. Regarding being potty mouth, I'm still the worst of them, atleast in my presence. So ya...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:

They take notes on their iPads. And some of them take pictures and videos of each other too. Some real lazy ones take a snapshot of the board when leaving the classrooms. Or a pictures of the notes captured by more sincere ones.

asked sonny jr just now. He said ipads are not allowed at his school to take down notes, but in this other charter school that my friend's son goes to, they are allowed. But sonny does take snap shots of the blackboard with his iphone.

I tried to understand his teenage brain on another topic. His response, 'get on with the program, mom' and a little later, 'i'm not even answering your questions!'. I don't want to converse with him and lose my cool either. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down