Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paarthaal Pasi Theerum

+5
confuzzled dude
Kris
Impedimenta
Rishi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
9 posters

Go down

Paarthaal Pasi Theerum Empty Paarthaal Pasi Theerum

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:06 am

Sivaji, Gemini, Savithri, Sowcar Janaki, Saroja Devi, and Kamalahasan (as a 8 yr old in dual role)...

Wowww....This is what you call a Star-studded movie.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Paarthaal Pasi Theerum Empty Re: Paarthaal Pasi Theerum

Post by Rishi Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:11 am

Has this movie been re-released?

Or was the movie shown on any Tamil TV channel recently?

Why did you bring it up?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:45 am

err? i woke up into 1940s? BTW, this song is from that movie, illaya?

Romba pudicha paatu. what a beautiful song to listen to, first thing in the AM.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Impedimenta wrote:err? i woke up into 1940s? BTW, this song is from that movie, illaya?

Great song... Also these:

and this:

In fact, most of hte songs in all the "Paa" Series of movies are great...same set of actors, directos, Kannadhasan and MSV (the greatest music director combo ever).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:err? i woke up into 1940s? BTW, this song is from that movie, illaya?

Great song... Also these:

and this:

In fact, most of hte songs in all the "Paa" Series of movies are great...same set of actors, directos, Kannadhasan and MSV (the greatest music director combo ever).

How can I forget this one?

The hindi songs were simply great as well in that period... but that will be on another day.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:55 pm

>>>>One of my favorite songs. There is a story behind it. Apparently, KD was supposed to write the song but it slipped his mind. The director called him to remind him and let him know he was under the gun in terms of time. KD supposedly told the director to write down the lyrics and made up the song on the spot. I don't know if this is a true story or was concocted later, but the words are simple yet catchy.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:59 am

Kris wrote:

>>>>One of my favorite songs. There is a story behind it. Apparently, KD was supposed to write the song but it slipped his mind. The director called him to remind him and let him know he was under the gun in terms of time. KD supposedly told the director to write down the lyrics and made up the song on the spot. I don't know if this is a true story or was concocted later, but the words are simple yet catchy.

Think it is true. Saw Panju Arunachalam - who was KD's assistant writer and also for this movie - on a recent TV program and he described his experience/interaction with KD. He mentioned something about this song and how spontaneous KD was - (if I remember right it was this song).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:26 am

Kris wrote:

Think it is true. Saw Panju Arunachalam - who was KD's assistant writer and also for this movie - on a recent TV program and he described his experience/interaction with KD. He mentioned something about this song and how spontaneous KD was - (if I remember right it was this song).

>>>>This is the first time I have seen even a portion of this movie (I had cinema phobia for a long time, thanks to having seen a Shivaji G movie as a child, which scared the bejesus out of me into thinking all movies involved crying and adults yelling). I can't get over the fact this guy looks middle-aged even back in the day.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:55 am

Kris wrote:
>>>>This is the first time I have seen even a portion of this movie (I had cinema phobia for a long time, thanks to having seen a Shivaji G movie as a child, which scared the bejesus out of me into thinking all movies involved crying and adults yelling). I can't get over the fact this guy looks middle-aged even back in the day.

My grandma used to take me to these crying movies - cutting school. That led to PTSD of Indian cinema. which took many years to resolve.

Now that I can look back and watch those movies without any relapse of PTSD.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:21 am

Kris wrote:

Smile I used to think Telugus always exaggerate about this over-action aspect of Tamil Cinema.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:26 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

Smile I used to think Telugus always exaggerate about this over-action aspect of Tamil Cinema.

>>>> With the exception of art flicks, the over-action and excessive melodrama seem to be par for the course for all Indian movies. In retrospect, my phobia was probably a good thing Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Rishi wrote:Has this movie been re-released?

Or was the movie shown on any Tamil TV channel recently?

Why did you bring it up?

shhh.. we dont'see taamiL movies..we see onLy english movies..remember? Razz

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Excuse me for being the minority of one in this ultra-elite forum (that may apply a lot of things in this forum!)

I am an unapologetic fan of Tamil movies, esp. old movies..and a huge fan of Sivaji Ganesan..I am so glad I had the experience of watching his movies in the theaters when they were first released, one rare appearance on stage..simply unforgettable memories! He is one of the great artists of all time (if Americans can call their artists- National Treasures..I would call him that too) don't think I will see anyone with his majesty and screen presence in my lifetime..no, not even Rajini.

It has not diminished my interests/appreciation of any Hollywood movies- or some of the best plays on Broadway, Las Vegas, London..performances by some of the best actors/artists in the world..

I would not want pay anything to see an actor- underact..just stand there..I don't have to go to the movies or plays to see that..everyone is an actor, by that standard..(if people want to see that..just someone put on some make up- pretend to be a character..and gently utter a word or two now and then..who am I to quarrel with that!)

I just watched an interview on Jaya TV with the great Saroja devi by Suhasini..who looks terrific at close to 80..so many great stories about Sivaji, MGR and others..was so nice to hear them!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Maria S wrote:Excuse me for being the minority of one in this elite forum (that may apply a lot of things in this forum!)

I am an unapologetic fan of Tamil movies, esp. old movies..and a huge fan of Sivaji Ganesan..I am so glad I had the experience of watching his movies in the theaters when they were first released, one rare appearance on stage..simply unforgettable memories! He is one of the great artists of all time (if Americans can call their artists- National Treasures..I would call him that too) don't think I will see anyone with his majesty in my lifetime..

ada da daa.. naan summanAchum kAdhalikka naeramillai vasanathai pottAen akka..There is no question that Sivaji Ganesan was the greatest of all times across the globe, particularly the old ones.. they who label him theatrical often forget the totally subdued roles he has played , sometimes in the same movie like the doctor in Navaraithiri and the adopted son in Gauravam just to cite a couple of examples. Recently I was totally spell bound watching his Óthello' performance in Raththa thilakam..the elegance, style, suave and elan OMG it was ! Of course he was the living proof for äll, especially national awards are political' - he was never awarded by the indian government

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

no they don't. it's absolutely true. if you want over the top tear jerking melodrama, tamil cinema is your ticket. especially that over trumpeted turkey sivaji G. it is so over the top, that it is comical. when he calms down, the man can actually act a bit, but that was quite rare. his successor in melodrama is kamalahasan.

if you want subdued dignified performances, watch sivakumar.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 pm

[quote="garam_kuta"]
Maria S wrote:
ada da daa.. naan summanAchum kAdhalikka naeramillai vasanathai pottAen akka..There is no question that Sivaji Ganesan was the greatest of all times across the globe, particularly the old ones.. they who label him theatrical often forget the totally subdued roles he has played , sometimes in the same movie like the doctor in Navaraithiri and the adopted son in Gauravam just to cite a couple of examples. Recently I was totally spell bound watching his Óthello' performance in Raththa thilakam..the elegance, style, suave and elan OMG it was ! Of course he was the living proof for äll, especially national awards are political' - he was never awarded by the indian government

Akka?Smile Hmm..

Glad to know..you appreciate him too and for the roles you mentioned! As for Awards (anywhere)..absolutely, there is so much politics..in this case, it's the Indian Govt's loss..

I never thought..I would see James Bond become melodramatic and cry! Politicians cry too much these days..Now that scares me:)

As for melodrama..to each their own! I dislike reality shows..And Art/Fiction pales when compared to reality..As Shakespeare said.."All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players"...

http://www.artofeurope.com/shakespeare/sha9.htm
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:37 pm

The majestic Sivaji and the dignified Sivakumar in another star-studded movie..Uyarntha Manithan..

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:54 pm

garam_kuta wrote:There is no question that Sivaji Ganesan was the greatest of all times across the globe, particularly the old ones.. they who label him theatrical often forget the totally subdued roles he has played , sometimes in the same movie like the doctor in Navaraithiri and the adopted son in Gauravam just to cite a couple of examples. Recently I was totally spell bound watching his Óthello' performance in Raththa thilakam..the elegance, style, suave and elan OMG it was ! Of course he was the living proof for äll, especially national awards are political' - he was never awarded by the indian government

greatest WHAT? i have never seen him give a muted performance. it was all about rolling his eyes, contorting his face, rocking his body, laughing, crying and expressing every little emotion in 15,000 words with some "ayooooooo", ammmaaaaa, epppidi soLLittayeeee" and other such over-the-top lines.

e-bhaiyyas were inspired by him, i think.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:45 pm

bw wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:There is no question that Sivaji Ganesan was the greatest of all times across the globe, particularly the old ones.. they who label him theatrical often forget the totally subdued roles he has played , sometimes in the same movie like the doctor in Navaraithiri and the adopted son in Gauravam just to cite a couple of examples. Recently I was totally spell bound watching his Óthello' performance in Raththa thilakam..the elegance, style, suave and elan OMG it was ! Of course he was the living proof for äll, especially national awards are political' - he was never awarded by the indian government

greatest WHAT? i have never seen him give a muted performance. it was all about rolling his eyes, contorting his face, rocking his body, laughing, crying and expressing every little emotion in 15,000 words with some "ayooooooo", ammmaaaaa, epppidi soLLittayeeee" and other such over-the-top lines.

Agree....unlike our modern hereos who can run faster than cars, catch bullet, blow bullets off target, Beat 5 villains with one stroke, etc....

Perhaps you are a MGR fan - who did not do any of those, except raise his hands both ways each second.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:21 pm

bw wrote:

Agree....unlike our modern hereos who can run faster than cars, catch bullet, blow bullets off target, Beat 5 villains with one stroke, etc....

Perhaps you are a MGR fan - who did not do any of those, except raise his hands both ways each second.

sivaji did it all just with his looks and words. Rolling Eyes MGR? am no fan but he didn't scare the babies for sure.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:35 pm

bw wrote:

hahaha.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 pm

I had a marvelous evening in Facebook..reminicing about Sivaji movies (glad it started here!) with so many people from all age groups..some older stars themselves and many up coming folks in the tamil movie industry..shared so much..wish I had been in Chennai for the re-release (digital sound and modern tech upgrades) of Sivaji's "Karnan" just a few months ago..which was a mega hit!

Someone posted this video of YG Mahendran's tribute to Sivaji(who is a well-known movie star-stage actor himself.. from a huge star-studded "Kalai Kudumbam".. in real life his father- related to K.Balachander..his mother, aunts, his wife's BIL Rajinikanth and his family..Dhanush now part of it etc)..

Liked it a lot! I could not have expressed it any better..

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum