Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100 million people expected to attend Kumbh Mela?

2 posters

Go down

100 million people expected to attend Kumbh Mela? Empty 100 million people expected to attend Kumbh Mela?

Post by Idéfix Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:14 am

I expected the Kumbh Mela to be big, but the 100 million number reported in this article surprised me. This amoutns to about 1 in 11 to 12 Indians to attend the Mela. The expected attendance at the Mela is larger than the entire populations of Germany, Iran, and the UK.

The article says that over 150,000 people have been treated for various ailments at the Mela, but only 2 individuals have died so far. I am impressed by the logistical capabilities that went into organizing the world's largest get-together of human beings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21395425

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

100 million people expected to attend Kumbh Mela? Empty Re: 100 million people expected to attend Kumbh Mela?

Post by Kris Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:45 am

panini press wrote:I expected the Kumbh Mela to be big, but the 100 million number reported in this article surprised me. This amoutns to about 1 in 11 to 12 Indians to attend the Mela. The expected attendance at the Mela is larger than the entire populations of Germany, Iran, and the UK.

The article says that over 150,000 people have been treated for various ailments at the Mela, but only 2 individuals have died so far. I am impressed by the logistical capabilities that went into organizing the world's largest get-together of human beings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21395425

>>> I heard that this is a special one in that it comes every 144 years-once in a lifetime type of deal really. That could account for the big turnout. The management of the logistics must be mind-boggling.

Kris

Back to top Go down

100 million people expected to attend Kumbh Mela? Empty Re: 100 million people expected to attend Kumbh Mela?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:55 am

The Maha Kumbh Mela, considered the largest public gathering in the world, will be the subject of a case study at Harvard University, which will study the logistics and economics behind it and the "pop-up mega-city"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down