Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tesla motor fiasco by NYT

+3
Idéfix
Hellsangel
doofus_maximus
7 posters

Go down

Tesla motor fiasco by NYT Empty Tesla motor fiasco by NYT

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:05 pm

anyone following this one..

You may have heard recently about an article written by John Broder from The New York Times that makes numerous claims about the performance of the Model S. We are upset by this article because it does not factually represent Tesla technology, which is designed and tested to operate well in both hot and cold climates. Indeed, our highest per capita sales are in Norway, where customers drive our cars during Arctic winters in permanent midnight, and in Switzerland, high among the snowy Alps. About half of all Tesla Roadster and Model S customers drive in temperatures well below freezing in winter. While no car is perfect, after extremely thorough testing, the Model S was declared to be the best new car in the world by the most discerning authorities in the automotive industry. To date, hundreds of journalists have test driven the Model S in every scenario you can imagine. The car has been driven through Death Valley (the hottest place on Earth) in the middle of summer and on a track of pure ice in a Minnesota winter. It has traveled over 600 miles in a day from the snowcapped peaks of Tahoe to Los Angeles, which made the very first use of the Supercharger network, and moreover by no lesser person than another reporter from The New York Times. Yet, somehow John Broder “discovered” a problem and was unavoidably left stranded on the road. Or was he? After a negative experience several years ago with Top Gear, a popular automotive show, where they pretended that our car ran out of energy and had to be pushed back to the garage, we always carefully data log media drives. While the vast majority of journalists are honest, some believe the facts shouldn’t get in the way of a salacious story. In the case of Top Gear, they had literally written the script before they even
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Tesla motor fiasco by NYT Empty Re: Tesla motor fiasco by NYT

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Yes
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Yeah, I read about this yesterday. I was confused by the various counterclaims.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 pm

the logs posted by Tesla in the article I linked, has all the details. Looks like NYT reported was caught with his pants down (to borrow Rashman's idiom).
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 pm

The saga continues...

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/that-tesla-data-what-it-says-and-what-it-doesnt/
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 am

I am just curious to find out the connection between Tesla motor / car (subject for this article) and the original scientist / inventor Tesla and his technology (basically the AC turbines / generators).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:I am just curious to find out the connection between Tesla motor / car (subject for this article) and the original scientist / inventor Tesla and his technology (basically the AC turbines / generators).

I would suggest writing a long blog full of tenuous connections based on the name similarities and use that to derive outlandish conclusions. we have a name for such an approach and methodology, the name of which escapes me at this time.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 pm

I read the whole back and forth, and it does seem like the Times journalist got caught with his pants down.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Or tech-savvy west coasters use data obfuscation better than staid old gray lady.

"If Tesla doesn’t make it as a car company, perhaps it has a future in annotated polemico-forensic graph-making." lol
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2013/02/15/tesla-vs-new-york-times-the-45-mph-problem/

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:I am just curious to find out the connection between Tesla motor / car (subject for this article) and the original scientist / inventor Tesla and his technology (basically the AC turbines / generators).

I would suggest writing a long blog full of tenuous connections based on the name similarities and use that to derive outlandish conclusions. we have a name for such an approach and methodology, the name of which escapes me at this time.
LOL.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down